Oops, I Deleted MSGINA.dll String Value

Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing. The
string was "something like":

string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
value: msgina.dll

The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back to
normal.

This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
"The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"

I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just get
the previously mentioned error message.

You need to run kb article # 307545 Also chk # 307654

"RavingNoah" wrote:

> Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
> the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing. The
> string was "something like":
>
> string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
> NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
> value: msgina.dll
>
> The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
> regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
> configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back to
> normal.
>
> This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
> "The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
> administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"
>
> I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
> know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
> having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just get
> the previously mentioned error message.

One of these should help.

Look here...

Read the instructions.
45. Right hand side.
Restore the Welcome Screen - Gina.Dll Error

Gina DLL
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_g.htm

Repairing/Modifying the Welcome Screen for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm

XP_FixLogon.exe - Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen
© Doug Knox - 03/25/2002
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:84E00C87-F1B2-430B-8E2D-F4F5F42776CF@microsoft.com,
RavingNoah <RavingNoah@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
> the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing.
> The string was "something like":
>
> string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
> NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
> value: msgina.dll
>
> The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
> regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
> configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back
> to normal.
>
> This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
> "The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
> administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"
>
> I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
> know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
> having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just
> get the previously mentioned error message.

zak

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2004

Hey there. Fixing this problem is actually REAL SIMPLE. It happened to me.

First of all you will need to have your (Windows XP CD). Before inserting it
you will first need to put on you computer and as soon as you press the ON
button click the ESC button repeatedly until it tells you to press the F1
button, and when that happens press the F1 butoon. (Note: For some computers
you may need to press the Del or F8 key repeatedly e.t.c.). The idea here is
reconfigure your booting priority so that the CD rom is the first thing that
gets booted. After reconfiguring make sure you insert the XP cd before
pressing the end button which will save your settings and reboot the
computer. Now, when the computer reboots it will ask you to press any key to
load the CD, so press anything. This is the part where you need to PAY
ATTENTION. Let the Cd load and don't press any of the commands that appear at
the bottom of the screen. Then you will get a screen that will tell you to
either setup XP, or repair XP, or just cancel everything. DO NOT PRESS THE
REPAIR (R KEY) COMMAND. Choose the first chioce which was to continue to set
up.[ YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A PAGE ASKING YOU TO ACCEPT THE TERMS AND
CONDITIONS, OTHERWISE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG AREA]. Now when you do this, The
computer will automatically search for any previous XP installed. After it
locates it it will ask you to either repair the original XP or continue and
setup a whole new one. This is the time when you chose to repair the old XP.
This process will automatically detect any missing (deleted), critical files
and ones you don't need and will automatically make the adjustments. Do not
be alarmed. The process will take about 40 minutes. You will get a window
stating " INSTALLING WINDOWS; PREPARING TO INSTALL WINDOWS and so on. DON'T
BE FOOLED BY THIS. It is not installing a new windows XP. It's merely
repairing. After this is done your computer will ACTUALLY be in better
condition that it was before, TRUST ME. And you can go on later on and reset
your booting priorities to their original state. Follw these steps carefully
and your computer will be working in no time
GOOD LUCK!