Oops, I Deleted MSGINA.dll String Value

Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing. The
string was "something like":

string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
value: msgina.dll

The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back to
normal.

This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
"The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"

I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just get
the previously mentioned error message.
4 answers Last reply
More about oops deleted msgina string value

    You need to run kb article # 307545 Also chk # 307654

    "RavingNoah" wrote:

    > Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
    > the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing. The
    > string was "something like":
    >
    > string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
    > NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
    > value: msgina.dll
    >
    > The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
    > regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
    > configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back to
    > normal.
    >
    > This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
    > "The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
    > administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"
    >
    > I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
    > know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
    > having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just get
    > the previously mentioned error message.

    One of these should help.

    Look here...

    Read the instructions.
    45. Right hand side.
    Restore the Welcome Screen - Gina.Dll Error

    Gina DLL
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_g.htm

    Repairing/Modifying the Welcome Screen for Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm

    XP_FixLogon.exe - Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen
    © Doug Knox - 03/25/2002
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:84E00C87-F1B2-430B-8E2D-F4F5F42776CF@microsoft.com,
    RavingNoah <RavingNoah@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Per a Windows XP Support Fix File, I deleted the registry string value for
    > the logon screen which was preventing the Welcome Screen from appearing.
    > The string was "something like":
    >
    > string: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows
    > NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/msgina
    > value: msgina.dll
    >
    > The support file indicated that the old value, upon being deleted, would
    > regenerate upon restart. If not, rebooting to the last known good
    > configuration (after pressing F8 after reboot) would restore things back
    > to normal.
    >
    > This did not occur. Now, as you might expect, I receive an error message
    > "The Logon User Interface DLL failed to load" and "Contact your system
    > administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL"
    >
    > I am the only user of the PC and am the sysadmin, so I really only need to
    > know how to change the registry string value back to what it was without
    > having to boot into Windows. I have tried all safe mode boots and I just
    > get the previously mentioned error message.

    Hey there. Fixing this problem is actually REAL SIMPLE. It happened to me.

    First of all you will need to have your (Windows XP CD). Before inserting it
    you will first need to put on you computer and as soon as you press the ON
    button click the ESC button repeatedly until it tells you to press the F1
    button, and when that happens press the F1 butoon. (Note: For some computers
    you may need to press the Del or F8 key repeatedly e.t.c.). The idea here is
    reconfigure your booting priority so that the CD rom is the first thing that
    gets booted. After reconfiguring make sure you insert the XP cd before
    pressing the end button which will save your settings and reboot the
    computer. Now, when the computer reboots it will ask you to press any key to
    load the CD, so press anything. This is the part where you need to PAY
    ATTENTION. Let the Cd load and don't press any of the commands that appear at
    the bottom of the screen. Then you will get a screen that will tell you to
    either setup XP, or repair XP, or just cancel everything. DO NOT PRESS THE
    REPAIR (R KEY) COMMAND. Choose the first chioce which was to continue to set
    up.[ YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU GET A PAGE ASKING YOU TO ACCEPT THE TERMS AND
    CONDITIONS, OTHERWISE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG AREA]. Now when you do this, The
    computer will automatically search for any previous XP installed. After it
    locates it it will ask you to either repair the original XP or continue and
    setup a whole new one. This is the time when you chose to repair the old XP.
    This process will automatically detect any missing (deleted), critical files
    and ones you don't need and will automatically make the adjustments. Do not
    be alarmed. The process will take about 40 minutes. You will get a window
    stating " INSTALLING WINDOWS; PREPARING TO INSTALL WINDOWS and so on. DON'T
    BE FOOLED BY THIS. It is not installing a new windows XP. It's merely
    repairing. After this is done your computer will ACTUALLY be in better
    condition that it was before, TRUST ME. And you can go on later on and reset
    your booting priorities to their original state. Follw these steps carefully
    and your computer will be working in no time
    GOOD LUCK!
  4. Thanks zak
    Tried this as a last resort and it worked!!!
    Thank you again.
    Old Man

Configuration Microsoft DLL Windows XP