Merging panorama shots

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 27, 2004 7:46:35 PM

What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?

Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
using a tripod?

Thanks

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

More about : merging panorama shots

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:50:37 PM

"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:r0b1t0pa22e3v97kn138c9o5sp5oenhqcv@4ax.com...
> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>
> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>
> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
> using a tripod?
>
> Thanks

I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
job!

I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
that's what you prefer.

And no, you don't always need a tripod, but it does help in not letting your
horizon wander too much.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 9:02:29 PM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:50:37 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net>
wrote:

>"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>> using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
>job!
>
>I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
>that's what you prefer.
>
>And no, you don't always need a tripod, but it does help in not letting your
>horizon wander too much.
>
>Jay Beckman
>Chandler, AZ

Has After Shot been discontinued? I was able to locate several places
to download it, but the Jasc website (http://www.jasc.com/products/?)
does not list After Shot and the developer homepage link on Tucows
(http://www.tucows.com/preview/252321.html) is not good.

Thanks

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:43:53 PM

"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D if1t0lbd193n6ep73p20ntfecujjo2j7a@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:50:37 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <jnsbeckman@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>>
>>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>>
>>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>>> using a tripod?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
>>job!
>>
>>I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead
>>if
>>that's what you prefer.
>>
>>And no, you don't always need a tripod, but it does help in not letting
>>your
>>horizon wander too much.
>>
>>Jay Beckman
>>Chandler, AZ
>
> Has After Shot been discontinued? I was able to locate several places
> to download it, but the Jasc website (http://www.jasc.com/products/?)
> does not list After Shot and the developer homepage link on Tucows
> (http://www.tucows.com/preview/252321.html) is not good.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
> OS: Win 2K
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

TS...

Dunno. It's possible that it has been discontinued, I'm not sure though.

I'm something of a software packrat and if it works, I usually resist
running out for something else just because...

I'm hopeful that someone will offer an alternative for you.

Regards,

Jay
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:36:52 AM

In article <r0b1t0pa22e3v97kn138c9o5sp5oenhqcv@4ax.com>,
Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>
> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>
> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
> using a tripod?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
> OS: Win 2K
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI

"Chuck Reti" <chuckreti@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <r0b1t0pa22e3v97kn138c9o5sp5oenhqcv@4ax.com>,
> Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>> using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
>> OS: Win 2K
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (11/03/04)
>
> Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
> --
> Chuck Reti
> Detroit MI

Per Elements 3 Help, Photomerge available in MAC only...

:o (

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

PS...Chuck, how's that Michigan winter...I used to be a Detroiter...
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:36:53 AM

"Chuck Reti" <chuckreti@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <r0b1t0pa22e3v97kn138c9o5sp5oenhqcv@4ax.com>,
> Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>> using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
>> OS: Win 2K
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (11/03/04)
>
> Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions available.
> --
> Chuck Reti
> Detroit MI

Disregard...I'm wrong...

Found it in the Editor...was looking in the browser...my bad.

Jay B
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:59:20 AM

Chuck Reti wrote:
> In article <r0b1t0pa22e3v97kn138c9o5sp5oenhqcv@4ax.com>,
> Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other
>> than using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
>> OS: Win 2K
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (11/03/04)
>
> Photomerge in Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, PC and Mac versions
> available.

And Elements 2 in Windows also.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Uses a Kodak DC4800

Jay Beckman wrote:
> "Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>>Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>>Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>>using a tripod?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> I use the "Stitch" function in JASC's After Shot and it, IMO, does a great
> job!
>
> I'm sure someone else can recommend a shareware/freeware utility instead if
> that's what you prefer.

IrfanView does a fair-to-middlin' stitch job, for freeware...
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:06:57 PM

Top Spin wrote:
> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>
> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?

Image rectification and merging (free) - Panorama Tools:
http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm

Windows front-end for Panorama Tools (trial version available) - PTgui:
http://www.ptgui.com/

Automatically lining up the pieces (free) - AutoPano:
http://autopano.kolor.com/

David
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:06:53 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in news:33ct2hF3viugjU1
@individual.net:

> Image rectification and merging (free) - Panorama Tools:
> http://home.no.net/dmaurer/~dersch/Index.htm

The best that you can find!

> Windows front-end for Panorama Tools (trial version available) - PTgui:
> http://www.ptgui.com/

Got that! Good! Costs money though.

There are some freeware ones also:
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xpt/
http://www.nic.fi/~juhe/ptbcbgui/index.html
http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm

I assume someone here can advice on what to use.

> Automatically lining up the pieces (free) - AutoPano:
> http://autopano.kolor.com/

Tested it - no success. I still do the lining up manually.
Takes time - but it is very efficient.

But - I now use the plugin enblend. Much, much, much
smoother transitions.

/Roland
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:19:56 PM

Roland Karlsson wrote:
[]
>> Windows front-end for Panorama Tools (trial version available) -
>> PTgui: http://www.ptgui.com/
>
> Got that! Good! Costs money though.

... but you get support as well. I think it's worth paying for.

>> Automatically lining up the pieces (free) - AutoPano:
>> http://autopano.kolor.com/
>
> Tested it - no success. I still do the lining up manually.

Oh, whilst it's not 100% it does take most of the work out of the
process - I think you must have been unlucky.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:57:10 PM

"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>
> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>
> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
> using a tripod?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
> OS: Win 2K
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

I have used a copy of Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 which came with my Canon S520
printer about 18 months ago for this.
Seems to work ok, but not spectacular when you have more than 2 photos to
"stitch" as the photo becomes very wide (or alternatively not very high).

I would make sure I overlapped the photos so that the software has something
(common bits) to work with.

Gerrit
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:57:11 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:57:10 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" <gthart@sad.au>
wrote:

>"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>> using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
>> OS: Win 2K
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (11/03/04)
>
>I have used a copy of Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 which came with my Canon S520
>printer about 18 months ago for this.
>Seems to work ok, but not spectacular when you have more than 2 photos to
>"stitch" as the photo becomes very wide (or alternatively not very high).
>
>I would make sure I overlapped the photos so that the software has something
>(common bits) to work with.

The Nikon Coolpix 4200 has a panorama mode in which it displays the
right third of the previous shot in the left third of the monitor so
the next shot can be aligned.

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

wrote:

>"Top Spin" <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>>
>> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>>
>> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
>> using a tripod?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
>> OS: Win 2K
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (11/03/04)
>
>I have used a copy of Canon PhotoStitch 3.1 which came with my Canon S520
>printer about 18 months ago for this.
>Seems to work ok, but not spectacular when you have more than 2 photos to
>"stitch" as the photo becomes very wide (or alternatively not very high).

I wondered about that. What can you do with a panorama shot once you
have it all stitched together? How can you get it printed?

I emailed ofoto asking if they can print wide shots, but haven't
gotten a reply yet.

--
Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
OS: Win 2K
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
December 29, 2004 1:46:57 AM

Hi Top Spin,

I'm recommending Easypano's Panoweaver for you. It support both homely
Windows and Mac, as I see your OS is

Win 2K.

With PTGui or Panotools, an enthusiastic panorama creator will soon be
back and frustrated with the painstaking

photo-editing process and more painful experience with selecting the
proper stitching points for every photo you

have taken. As James Rigg with Panoguide pointed out that a normal guy
should not try to shoot over 30 photos

then stitch them painfully to create a masterpiece panorama. I think
you are normal, so I assume you just like to

enjoy the process of shooting a couple of photos and click stitch to
create a panoramic image, right? Easypano's

easy and auto stitching method has gain more and more users origianally
with other pano stitching softwares, like

PTGui, Panotools, iPix and Realviz.

With Realviz, I'd say both Realviz and Easypano can stitch Spherical,
cylinder, cubic and drum shape panos.
Realviz splits Easypano's single product into seperate ones and sells
them individually. Visitors always get confused

on which product to buy. Easypano integrate the seperate products into
one. With one single click, you can stitch the

photos imported before hand. The whole process for you to create a
panoramic view is less than 20 minutes. And

Easypano's new product Panoweaver 4.0, which will be released next
March, has shortened the process into 10

minutes. That is, you shoot a set of photos (2 to 6), import them,
stitch them, wait for publishing... the whole

process has shrank to 10 minutes.
Also when you compare the prices and branding policies of two products,
you will find some real difference:
1. Realviz takes annual fees; while Easypano only takes one-time fee;
2. Realviz charges branding fees, that is, registered users of Realviz
has to pay to load in their own logos. And they

will pay more to get rid of Realviz's logo; Easypnoa takes nothing and
allows regsitered users to use their own logo.

When you try Panoweaver, the stitching software, you will find
Easypano's products are user-friendly. So I think you should have a try
on it. Anyway, Easypano provide free trial version. You can have a free
trial download here:
http://www.easypano.com/download/00/Panoweaver/24/downl...
Also, if you think making panoramas with Easypano's Panoweaver is lots
of fun, you can also try its Tourweaver.

Tourweaver will help you make a virtual tour of all the panoramas you
have created. And you may either

send'n'share your vt, or you may keep it as an exe file on your pc.
Here's more info about Easypano:
http://www.easypano.com
http://www.easypano.com/pinfo_pw.html
http://www.easypano.com/pinfo_tw.html
Just to add a quick note, Easypano's Panoweaver and Tourweaver has been
awarded 4 cows and 5 stars by Tucows and Download.com.
Have a great holiday season!
Sophie
December 29, 2004 4:40:08 AM

Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best way to merge panorama shots into a single photo?
>
> Is there software that will automatically line up the pieces?
>
> Are there any tricks in taking the shots in the first place other than
> using a tripod?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
> OS: Win 2K
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

I use RealViz Stitcher - amazing software for full spherical panos. You
do need a proper pano head if your subject matter is close up, but you
can get away with handheld for a few shots for distant landscape type
scenarios, it can help if you can attatch some kind of spirit level to
the camera so you can try to keep it fairly vertical.
December 29, 2004 6:48:13 PM

sophie@easypano.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> When you try Panoweaver, the stitching software, you will find
> Easypano's products are user-friendly. So I think you should have a try
> on it. Anyway, Easypano provide free trial version. You can have a free
> trial download here:
> http://www.easypano.com/download/00/Panoweaver/24/downl...
> Also, if you think making panoramas with Easypano's Panoweaver is lots
> of fun, you can also try its Tourweaver.
>
> Tourweaver will help you make a virtual tour of all the panoramas you
> have created. And you may either
>
> send'n'share your vt, or you may keep it as an exe file on your pc.
> Here's more info about Easypano:
> http://www.easypano.com
> http://www.easypano.com/pinfo_pw.html
> http://www.easypano.com/pinfo_tw.html
> Just to add a quick note, Easypano's Panoweaver and Tourweaver has been
> awarded 4 cows and 5 stars by Tucows and Download.com.

Nice advertisement. Not a bad commercial. <sigh>

However, the Web site you so kindly pointed us to says: "Panoweaver so
far only supports full circular fisheye images". That is hardly a
general purpose tool. Yes, if you are dedicated spherical pano shooter,
this could be a nice investment to get into. For most pano shooters, it
isn't very practical.

Clyde
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:42:57 AM

In article <Xns95CDA3ED65A26klotjohan@130.133.1.4>,
roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com says...
> > http://autopano.kolor.com/
>
> Tested it - no success. I still do the lining up manually.
> Takes time - but it is very efficient.

Aren't "takes time" and "very efficient" mutually exclusive?
:-)
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:46:51 AM

Clyde wrote:
[]
> However, the Web site you so kindly pointed us to says: "Panoweaver so
> far only supports full circular fisheye images". That is hardly a
> general purpose tool. Yes, if you are dedicated spherical pano
> shooter, this could be a nice investment to get into. For most pano
> shooters, it isn't very practical.

It would be completely useless for me! My typical panos are two or three
shots taken side-by-side to make a 60 - 90 degree wide resulting image.
Sometimes I use two or three shots vertically to provide full coverage of
a nearby building.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 2:08:36 AM

Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in

> Aren't "takes time" and "very efficient" mutually exclusive?
>:-)

:p

The aligning is very efficient, i.e. it is very well done.

The actual marking of stitching points take some time. But ...
the new interface in PTGui is very nice really. It tries,
and succeeds rather well, to move the pictures to minimize
the actual manual movement.

/Roland
December 30, 2004 6:34:23 PM

Top Spin wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:42:39 GMT, Clyde <lughclyde@attbi.comedy>
> wrote:
>

>>Keith wrote:

>>>I use RealViz Stitcher - amazing software for full spherical panos. You
>>>do need a proper pano head if your subject matter is close up, but you
>>>can get away with handheld for a few shots for distant landscape type
>>>scenarios, it can help if you can attatch some kind of spirit level to
>>>the camera so you can try to keep it fairly vertical.
>>
>>Yes, but RealViz Stitcher is a $580 program! For that I spend a little
>>time with my absolutely free Hugin/Panotools/Enblend solution. It really
>>doesn't take too long to do (once you learn how) and I get perfect panos.
>

> How to you print them?

On Epson Panoramic paper. Well usually. I have also printed on Epson 4"
roll paper. That's good for those panos taken with a whole bunch of
shots on a non-wide angle lens. i.e. Telephoto. Those tend to be very,
very wide. I usually shoot panos at the widest angle that I have and the
8x23" pano paper works very well.

I have considered buying top grade papers in large sheets. Then I would
take them to Kinko's and have them cut them down to 8.5" wide sizes.
Then I remember that I haven't shot any award winning panos that need
that kind of quality. My Epson R800 seems to print very well on the
regular Epson pano paper. The pigmented inks haven't been fading on that
paper at all. I'm guessing that they will last much longer than I need.

I don't sell any of my panos. That's my hobby. (Wedding photography is
what I sell.) So, I put them into frames on my walls. When I'm tired of
one pano, I print a replacement. I haven't found a place to save the old
prints - too small of filing cabinet. So I throw them away. I do keep
the file on the computer. Therefore, the quality of the Epson pano paper
is more than enough.

Clyde
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:34:24 PM

Adobe PS CS has an automated pan-stiching action.

There are a LOT of products on the market. I have not used any of them, but
I hear that PANOTool s is very good (not even sure if that is spelled
correctly).

Ron
December 30, 2004 6:35:26 PM

David J Taylor wrote:
> Clyde wrote:
> []
>
>>However, the Web site you so kindly pointed us to says: "Panoweaver so
>>far only supports full circular fisheye images". That is hardly a
>>general purpose tool. Yes, if you are dedicated spherical pano
>>shooter, this could be a nice investment to get into. For most pano
>>shooters, it isn't very practical.
>

> It would be completely useless for me! My typical panos are two or three
> shots taken side-by-side to make a 60 - 90 degree wide resulting image.
> Sometimes I use two or three shots vertically to provide full coverage of
> a nearby building.
>
> Cheers,
> David

My point exactly.

Clyde
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 8:56:38 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:46:51 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Clyde wrote:
>[]
>> However, the Web site you so kindly pointed us to says: "Panoweaver so
>> far only supports full circular fisheye images". That is hardly a
>> general purpose tool. Yes, if you are dedicated spherical pano
>> shooter, this could be a nice investment to get into. For most pano
>> shooters, it isn't very practical.
>
>It would be completely useless for me! My typical panos are two or three
>shots taken side-by-side to make a 60 - 90 degree wide resulting image.
>Sometimes I use two or three shots vertically to provide full coverage of
>a nearby building.
>
>Cheers,
>David

I too have no use for a spherical pano creation, but I have made
several shots of homes, etc. where I mount the camera on a tripod and
rotate it in roughly 30 degree increments. Then I might stitch
together several such shots to include as much as 135 degrees. My
choice for this is PhotoStitch which came bundled with my Canon i950
printer. It works so smoothly, I don't even have to think about it,
it does all the selection of where to merge automatically. For a
freebie, who could ask for more?

Olin McDaniel
December 31, 2004 6:17:39 PM

RonFrank wrote:
> Adobe PS CS has an automated pan-stiching action.
>
> There are a LOT of products on the market. I have not used any of them, but
> I hear that PANOTool s is very good (not even sure if that is spelled
> correctly).
>
> Ron

I have never been very impressed with PhotoMerge in Photoshop CS. I very
rarely get it to put things together right. I do try every now and then,
because it is quick and easy. Rarely does it even look half decent. It
falls down in the stitching or the blending.

Then I do it right in Hugin/Panotools/Enblend.

Clyde
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 4:23:17 AM

In article <Xns95CF17422ECCklotjohan@130.133.1.4>,
roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com says...
> Randy Howard <randyhoward@FOOverizonBAR.net> wrote in
>
> > Aren't "takes time" and "very efficient" mutually exclusive?
> >:-)
>
> :p
>
> The aligning is very efficient, i.e. it is very well done.

I see what you mean now, but I think a better word would be
"effective".
!