Sign in with
Your question

Info regarding msata ssd caching

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2012 2:41:09 PM

I have an envy 6 ultrabook with 32gb ssd using intel rst. Question is upgrading the SSD to 128 will benefit more than using it as a standalone disk for the os? Does it worth the upgrade?

More about : info msata ssd caching

a b å Intel
a c 289 G Storage
November 12, 2012 2:49:59 PM

Here is my standard answer about caching:

Intel's caching technology was designed for buyers who could not justify or afford the cost of a larger capacity solid-state drive. According to Intel, the original idea was that for about $100.00 a user could purchase a small capacity ssd of about 10 to 20GB and use it as a cache to improve hard disk drive performance. The Operating system and programs were actually stored on a hard disk drive. The actual improvement could not compare to a stand alone ssd. Intel also looked at different capacities all the way up to 512GB and concluded 64GB was the point of diminishing return. It made more sense to use a 64GB ssd as a boot drive that also contained software programs. Intel was hoping that if business clients saw an increase in performance, then they would be induced to purchase larger capacity ssd's that promised an even greater boost in performance.

A lot has changed sinced then, especially prices. For $100.00 you can definitely purchase an ssd that is much larger than 20GB. Currently you can buy a 128GB SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive for less and have money left over. Might as well take full advantage of ssd performance.

The SanDisk ReadyCache, like Corsair and Crucial use third party software for caching. They are an improvement over ordinary hard disk drive performance providing the application or files you want to use are loaded into the ssd.

I think you might be better off getting an ssd of sufficient capacity to hold the Microsoft Windows operating system, software applications, utilities, and some of your favorite games. A 128GB ssd is considered to be the sweet spot.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this ssd forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
!