My video card is insufficiant

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hello! I want to play a PC game but after installation it tells me it "failed to detect a supported video card". The requirements are ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater. I have ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series 32MB. Seems a bit rubbish! Is there a solution (apart from obviously buying a new PC). Cheers!

Your current graphics (an integrated one) is just not powerful enough to run the game. What game you trying to play, and what is the rest of your spec (cpu, mobo, ram, hdd, psu). I will see if a new graphics card or a full new rig is a better option for you.

I'm assuming you have a PCI-E slot unless the motherboard was so darn cheap as to ommit it. What game are you trying to play and what is the rest of your system? Depending on what CPU and socket type you have, that may not be any point in upgrading it.

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Thanks pyree. I'm not great with PC jargon so let me know if I missed anything - AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+ 1.80 GHz, 480 MB RAM & K8 RS480-M skt939 & HDS722525VLSA80 & 450w PSU. Hope that's right!

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hi Gamer-girl I'm trying to play Dragon Age. I use my PC for games but also for work, internet and films. I don't want to spend much on an old PC or I might as well get a new one but something like £50 is OK if it makes a difference.

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
It's the origins version. Do you want the PC resolution or the game? The pc is 32 bit. The game is 800 x 600 which the game set automatically on installation.

If you are going to spend 50 quid on it, then I don't think you will get the game running because apart from the graphics card, you will also need more ram and and at least an amd x2. Although I have to confess, I am not very familiar with amd's lineup of cpu, so I could be wrong on the cpu. IMO, your current setup will only be good for gaming at the best for this couple of years after all of the upgrade due to the cpu bottleneck. If you intended to game in the future, I suggest a new built.

But you pc is still a reasonable second pc or htpc if paired with a gpu from like a 5450 to 5670 card. Get at least 2g of ram, I assume you run xp. Don't spend anything higher cause it will be a waste of gpu power for a backup/htpc.

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Thanks Gamer-girl. You've been hugely helpful. It might be worth upgrading ram and video card. It'll help with other things so not a total loss if I cant get the game to work ;)

Sorry I was wrong about the cpu. But I really don't know much about amd cpu from that era so I go by the book. Although I still think Duplicity2's best option is to go for a new build since once he start gaming, he is likely to continue in the future and dragon age series will have new addition coming out. IMO the best option is to get a new build using the tom's hardware builder and put more ram and a reasonable gpu in the old computer for secondary/htpc. Nothing goes to waste. I tend to cycle through the computer every about 3 years, really old comp goes to charity, old comp goes to htpc and new comp is the main rig.

My pathway will give you best gaming experience now. Gamer-girl will also agree me that you will need a new rig for future gaming, and her solution will give you decent gaming experience now until you can save up money for a new build. Which every pathway you took you will end up with a secondary/htpc and a new rig. So it depends on you financial situation.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Actually you were right about the cpu if you look at the game min system requirements but it seems bioware estimates were a bit off. Also the second game in the series already came out at the beginning of this year, but follows a different protagonist.

The original game is about 30-60 hours depends if you take all side quests. Then you would probably want play it at least 2 more times for the different races/endings. The awakening expansion is about another 15 hours. It's a really long game lol.

If you want to play the second one then you would need a new pc. Depending on how many hours you play a week the could be months (to save up) :)

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
There's no doubt i'll have to get a new PC at some point but I'll put it off for as long as I can while I save up. My PC is a custom job with a big case so I'll probably take your advice Pyree and use what I can from it and build a new one. Sounds like a fun project! For now, I've found some RAM for a reasonable price and I'll look at the options for a video card. Recommendations are really welcome. I'm very happy I can make the most of what I have with upgrades for now. It'll be great to put some more life into my old clonking PC. Yeah, I'm sure I'll be playing dragonage for a while. I really like to eek out all angles of a game! Oh and hey, pyree..........I'm a girl ;) lol But anyway, you guys have been great. I can't believe how helpful you are

Sorry, I am used to addressing everyone here as a he out of convenient, usless the username clearly indicate the gender. Hope you are not offended. I wish there is a way to call someone in third person which is gender neutral in english.

Although I have to say this is the first time I have joined a thread with a female majority. Since both gender is just as likely to use a computer, I think this forum has an unrepresentative gender proportion. Maybe I will raise this issue to the site master.

Duplicity2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Wondering where all the other girls go for advice huh? ha ha but thinking about it, I have to say I know more men than women who use computers. A lot more. Weird

We are totally off topic now, but anyway. I found the proportion just about the same in using computer. But yes, every system builder I know in real life is a guy. Probably because they are my friends from the neighborhood whom I grew up with. I think it became a social mindset that if a girl need computer help, she will find her closest male relative/friends with computer knowledge to sort out the problem. But it doesn't have to be like that, for example yourself. I think tv show is not playing a role to help the situation (the it crowd, the big bang theory).