Sign in with
Your question

My video card is insufficiant

Last response: in Memory
June 18, 2011 3:26:57 AM

Hello! I want to play a PC game but after installation it tells me it "failed to detect a supported video card". The requirements are ATI Radeon X1550 256MB or greater. I have ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series 32MB. Seems a bit rubbish! Is there a solution (apart from obviously buying a new PC). Cheers!
June 18, 2011 3:29:20 AM

Oh and I'm sure you probably need more information. Please let me know what you need.
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 4:31:04 AM

Your current graphics (an integrated one) is just not powerful enough to run the game. What game you trying to play, and what is the rest of your spec (cpu, mobo, ram, hdd, psu). I will see if a new graphics card or a full new rig is a better option for you.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 5:02:17 AM

I'm assuming you have a PCI-E slot unless the motherboard was so darn cheap as to ommit it. What game are you trying to play and what is the rest of your system? Depending on what CPU and socket type you have, that may not be any point in upgrading it.
June 18, 2011 5:04:02 AM

Thanks pyree. I'm not great with PC jargon so let me know if I missed anything - AMD Athlon 64 processor 3000+ 1.80 GHz, 480 MB RAM & K8 RS480-M skt939 & HDS722525VLSA80 & 450w PSU. Hope that's right!
June 18, 2011 5:06:57 AM

Hi Megamanx00 Yes I think it's a PCI-E slot. I just posted more info on the PC spexs. Hopefully that should help more.
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 5:22:18 AM

yes that motherboard has a pci-e x16 slot but what game are you trying to play?
What is your budget?

The processor and ram will bottleneck your system with most cards.

A Radeon HD 4650 would be a good entry card.
June 18, 2011 5:33:50 AM

Hi Gamer-girl I'm trying to play Dragon Age. I use my PC for games but also for work, internet and films. I don't want to spend much on an old PC or I might as well get a new one but something like £50 is OK if it makes a difference.
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 5:59:37 AM

okay is that dragonage origins or dragonage II? also what resolution?

forgot to ask, do you have a slimline case?
June 18, 2011 6:11:22 AM

It's the origins version. Do you want the PC resolution or the game? The pc is 32 bit. The game is 800 x 600 which the game set automatically on installation.
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 6:15:34 AM

If you are going to spend 50 quid on it, then I don't think you will get the game running because apart from the graphics card, you will also need more ram and and at least an amd x2. Although I have to confess, I am not very familiar with amd's lineup of cpu, so I could be wrong on the cpu. IMO, your current setup will only be good for gaming at the best for this couple of years after all of the upgrade due to the cpu bottleneck. If you intended to game in the future, I suggest a new built.
June 18, 2011 6:19:16 AM

I'm sure you're probably right. It's a very old PC. I had to check with people who know though!
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 6:30:13 AM

But you pc is still a reasonable second pc or htpc if paired with a gpu from like a 5450 to 5670 card. Get at least 2g of ram, I assume you run xp. Don't spend anything higher cause it will be a waste of gpu power for a backup/htpc.
June 18, 2011 6:39:11 AM

Thanks Gamer-girl. You've been hugely helpful. It might be worth upgrading ram and video card. It'll help with other things so not a total loss if I cant get the game to work ;) 
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 6:52:04 AM

Gamer-girl said:
Did some digging and found that some people can run it on a amd 64 single core cpu.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/100358
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/71484
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/122714

you will still need to add more ram (1GB atleast)

Sorry I was wrong about the cpu. But I really don't know much about amd cpu from that era so I go by the book. Although I still think Duplicity2's best option is to go for a new build since once he start gaming, he is likely to continue in the future and dragon age series will have new addition coming out. IMO the best option is to get a new build using the tom's hardware builder and put more ram and a reasonable gpu in the old computer for secondary/htpc. Nothing goes to waste. I tend to cycle through the computer every about 3 years, really old comp goes to charity, old comp goes to htpc and new comp is the main rig.

My pathway will give you best gaming experience now. Gamer-girl will also agree me that you will need a new rig for future gaming, and her solution will give you decent gaming experience now until you can save up money for a new build. Which every pathway you took you will end up with a secondary/htpc and a new rig. So it depends on you financial situation.
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 7:17:24 AM

Actually you were right about the cpu if you look at the game min system requirements but it seems bioware estimates were a bit off. Also the second game in the series already came out at the beginning of this year, but follows a different protagonist.

The original game is about 30-60 hours depends if you take all side quests. Then you would probably want play it at least 2 more times for the different races/endings. The awakening expansion is about another 15 hours. It's a really long game lol.

If you want to play the second one then you would need a new pc. Depending on how many hours you play a week the could be months (to save up) :) 
June 18, 2011 7:44:58 AM

There's no doubt i'll have to get a new PC at some point but I'll put it off for as long as I can while I save up. My PC is a custom job with a big case so I'll probably take your advice Pyree and use what I can from it and build a new one. Sounds like a fun project! For now, I've found some RAM for a reasonable price and I'll look at the options for a video card. Recommendations are really welcome. I'm very happy I can make the most of what I have with upgrades for now. It'll be great to put some more life into my old clonking PC. Yeah, I'm sure I'll be playing dragonage for a while. I really like to eek out all angles of a game! Oh and hey, pyree..........I'm a girl ;)  lol But anyway, you guys have been great. I can't believe how helpful you are
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 7:52:31 AM

Sorry, I am used to addressing everyone here as a he out of convenient, usless the username clearly indicate the gender. Hope you are not offended. I wish there is a way to call someone in third person which is gender neutral in english.
June 18, 2011 7:58:40 AM

Hey no worries. It's not like you can see me and no, my username doesn't help. Did make me laugh though. Better than it lol
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 8:04:42 AM

Although I have to say this is the first time I have joined a thread with a female majority. Since both gender is just as likely to use a computer, I think this forum has an unrepresentative gender proportion. Maybe I will raise this issue to the site master.
June 18, 2011 8:19:35 AM

Wondering where all the other girls go for advice huh? ha ha but thinking about it, I have to say I know more men than women who use computers. A lot more. Weird
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 8:39:26 AM

sure both men and women use computers but it doesn't mean they know how it works.
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 8:39:33 AM

We are totally off topic now, but anyway. I found the proportion just about the same in using computer. But yes, every system builder I know in real life is a guy. Probably because they are my friends from the neighborhood whom I grew up with. I think it became a social mindset that if a girl need computer help, she will find her closest male relative/friends with computer knowledge to sort out the problem. But it doesn't have to be like that, for example yourself. I think tv show is not playing a role to help the situation (the it crowd, the big bang theory).
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 9:01:17 AM

funny i know more about computers than any guy i know, there is an exception to every rule.

duplicity2 dp you need help with picking ram?
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 9:12:20 AM

I know Gamer-girl, you are an exception. If there is a star rating system for awesomeness of users, I probably give u a full awesome rating. Ok, back to the topic, choosing ram. You will need to get some DDR 400 ram, do you have a preference on where to get it from?
June 18, 2011 9:32:35 AM

We're totally off topic now but wth. I'm good for now. I had a look around at graphics cards and found that the card you recommended Gamer-girl, was pretty good for the money. So I've gone for that. I had to fish around a bit as the options are different here in UK but it was still a solid bet. Thank you helping me out. The choices are mind numbing without some guidance.
Yeah using a computer and knowing how it works are not the same. I use computers a lot so I should know something but I'll be the first to say I'm no Bill Gates. I don't know if tv makes a difference. I suppose it might if you're bombarded enough. For me anything I know I've picked up from necessity and an inborn sense of possesiveness for my pc. I've found my techno savvy friends and family aren't always as savvy as they like to make out! lol so I try to pick things up when I need to. But if it comes to hardware, fixing a problem or making any changes I've learned from experience it's better to ask for advice before fiddling. I don't know nearly enough.
June 18, 2011 9:36:14 AM

No I'm good with ram I think. I had a look into that before because I was getting frustrated with my PC being so slow and juddery. I've got DDR 400 PC2700/3200 184 pin. Is that right?
a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 9:39:45 AM

Yes and more ram will give you better game play and everything else because 480mb or ram is really tiny. Your mobo only support up to 2g. Try posting in the UK local tom's hardware for some advice on where to get them in uk. Since I am in Aus and gamer-girl is in NZ, we have no idea where you will get the best bargain. The installation procedure is very straight forward if you read the instructions. So happy upgrading!
June 18, 2011 9:47:48 AM

No probs, I already ordered it from ebay. I'm just getting 1gb for now but I have spare slot for another.
a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2011 9:53:43 AM

remember your motherboard supports dual channel so it is better to get sticks of the same size/speed.

I use http://www.ebuyer.com/ for price reference in uk. Pyree is right we don't know where to get the best price.
June 18, 2011 9:55:49 AM

2gb max? Glad I only ordered 1gb then or I'd have too much. Still it's 1gb more than I've got now, so all good.
June 18, 2011 9:58:32 AM

Ah I get you! so I need to replace the 240's with 2 x 1gb ram. I have 4 slots so I was going to keep 240's and add to them but then I'll be over the max
June 18, 2011 12:22:35 PM

Yes that's spot on. I just had a look inside and it has only got 2 slots. I had it in my head it had 4 for some reason. God know why. 2 makes much more sense.
June 18, 2011 7:28:59 PM

This thread is really difficult to follow. In response to the video card, I'd go with a GTS 450. As for the RAM, 2 Gb is still low, but if your motherboard maxes out, then I'd install 2 Gb, because it's only going to make your computer faster. But Duplicity2, you've managed to dodge the question 3 times: What is your Budget? How much can you afford to spend?

Lastly, Pyree, for being an Aussie and speaking english, I'm surprised I have to tell you this, but the indefinite article to reference someone is "they". It's not gender specific or time specific. ex: "They should get a new video card."
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 5:37:38 AM

joshyboy82 said:
In response to the video card, I'd go with a GTS 450. As for the RAM, 2 Gb is still low, but if your motherboard maxes out, then I'd install 2 Gb, because it's only going to make your computer faster. But Duplicity2, you've managed to dodge the question 3 times: What is your Budget? How much can you afford to spend?

she did answer the question
Quote:
I might as well get a new one but something like £50 is OK if it makes a difference.

The GTS 450 is just out of her budget. Also
Quote:
The game is 800 x 600

a b } Memory
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2011 6:12:09 AM

joshyboy82 said:
This thread is really difficult to follow. In response to the video card, I'd go with a GTS 450. As for the RAM, 2 Gb is still low, but if your motherboard maxes out, then I'd install 2 Gb, because it's only going to make your computer faster. But Duplicity2, you've managed to dodge the question 3 times: What is your Budget? How much can you afford to spend?

Lastly, Pyree, for being an Aussie and speaking english, I'm surprised I have to tell you this, but the indefinite article to reference someone is "they". It's not gender specific or time specific. ex: "They should get a new video card."

FYI not every Australian speak English as first language, for I am certainly not. Even spending over half of my life here I still use 50% english and 50% chinese/cantonese in my daily life. But I will try using they in the future.
June 23, 2011 6:45:28 AM

Sure glad I posted here. When you're done picking on the "new" guy, maybe you can answer the OP's question. If you have time.
June 23, 2011 7:11:22 AM

Thank you for trying to help joshyboy82. I'm sorry, what was the question? I will make sure I answer it for you?

Just to clarify, I followed everyone's advice and ordered new ram (2 x 1gb) and a graphics card (radeon hd4650). My budget was really small so I couldn't afford much but they should make a vast improvement on what I have now. I'm just waiting for them to arrive now.
!