Hauppauge TV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner
Chilltech Black Ultra CPU Cooler
Sony DVD
Antec 620 constant PSU
Using Sony 60" LCD TV for main monitor.
Window 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Overclocking- Plan to
SLI- Maybe

I'm trying to build a HTPC/Gaming PC hybrid. Have been a console gamer since Atari, want to runs games like Crisis II and Bulletstorm putting my Xbox 360 to shame. Also using PC for DVR and hub/receiver.

Started this project in 2007. Ran out of funds at the time. Got the rest of the hardware recently. Now if I can just get the damn thing to post! Think my MB might be bad. Everything's new, but the case and MB have been assembled and collecting dust for like 4 years. This is my 1st build and now it looks like after buying everything based around maxing out that MB, I would have been better off (and maybe a little cheaper considering DDR2 prices) starting with a fresh up-to-date board.

Currently breadboarding that MB, CPU, and cooler. Same results. Lights on board come on, hit the power button, CPU gets hot, cooler lights and starts fan, PSU fan starts, 1 beep, and 4 seconds later, shuts off.

Tested the PSU using a multimeter and jumper wire. All readings well within tolerances.

The only other thing I know is that the little LED screen on the back of the MB says CPU Initiate. I also know that the Bios on the board is out-of-date for the quad core CPU on it. It is supported by this board according to Asus, but I think AMD was just starting to produce there 1st Quad cores when i got the MB. And shouldn't it beep more than once with no RAM installed? Only beeps on 1st start-up attempt. Have to reset PSU to hear again.

Any opinions on that are welcome. Thanks.
June 23, 2011 3:46:10 AM

Really? Out of everybody who has read this, no one has an idea?
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:58:37 AM

I just read it and I would think it is the board. I have had a abit board that would act like it was coming on and shut down, the cpu gets hot and the power supply starts running and the fans start, then shut down. I changed the memory and tested the cpu in another board and it all tested good. I replaced the board and it started right up. You could try to get a motherboard that would support what you have and not be out of alot of money. Even do as I have done in the past, get one off e-bay where some one upgraded and spend half or more less then a new one and test it. I know it's not much, but it's my thought and experience.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 4:47:37 AM

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

If this is correct, there some kind of memory error. Honestly, I don't know what it means. I suspect memory controller something-or-other since bad/mis-seated RAM would give you 2 beeps.

For your system, the memory controller is on your CPU die. If that CPU is somehow incompatible with your motherboard, I can see it giving you a memory error. Since compatibility is possibly an issue, this seems likely.

Did you to through this? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Sorry. The single beep is not much to go on.
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:02:43 AM

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the MB too. I just hate to buy a new when this one has never been used. And the CPU is listed as being compatible. But the current bios isn't. But would that keep it from starting up?
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:10:03 AM

Maybe? I would expect it to get farther in the post procedure but I really don't know. According to the BIOS site I linked earlier, a processor error is 5 beeps.

Make sure to follow the troubleshooting guide I linked. It may be tedious, but you want to rule out as many other factors as possible before going through the effort (and cost) of getting different hardware. Especially: "Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU" Do this. For sure.

m
l
June 28, 2011 1:44:29 AM

Yeah this first one's been a real learning experience. The MB gives the same beep loaded or stripped and it really sounds like the one beep all computers make when they POST. Wish I'd started fresh but wanted to use what I had. So now, using the components I have, am trying to find a comparable MB to what I had. The Crosshair 2 looks good for accommodating AM2+ and DDR2 but are hard to find or just as much as the current production model.

If I was to upgrade in the future, Id start over. Right now, just want one that works. It sucks that the one I got is "new", albeit has been sitting in a case for like, 3 1/2 years, never powered and the warranty expired at 3 yrs. Thanks for the links. unfortunately had already gone through them before starting this thread.

Any MB replacement suggestions to get the most out of what I have?
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:52:03 PM

I've been using Asus motherboards and haven't really had any problems. Just get something that has good reviews on Newegg and doublecheck that you won't have any compatibility problems. :)  You can maybe get some more help in the if you make a new post in the homebuild section or maybe motherboard section.
m
l
!