Display dimming on boot

crashtestaddict

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Recently purchased a Gateway FX 6840-23 computer, Intel i7 - 860 Lynnfield processor running at 3.24 GHz with turbo-boost, 1 TB and 600 GB HD's, 8 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 1 GB GPU, 2 DVD Super Drives, 27" Viewsonic HDMI 1080p monitor, and a 500 watt PSU. I have the sound card connected to a powered Logitech surround sound speaker system. I am running Windows 7 Premium - 64 bit. I added the western digital 600 GB HD from my other computer because I needed the stuff off that drive, but I just kept it in and don't always have it plugged into the carriage system on the computer. Plus I added another DVD super drive that is currently not wired because of the lack of wiring on the cheap PSU that came with the computer.

I have asked questions on this forum before and very pleased with your prompt answers and knowledge, but this over my head here. When I got this computer I thought it would come with the connectors on the back for surround sound. Unbelievably, the damn this had a lowly stereo jack in this higher-end "media" and "gaming" computer, so you would think that they would be standard. NOT! It even has THX for surround sound, but no hardware to make that work. I was stunned by this. So I asked the forum what I had to do and the ASUS Xonar DX card was one of the recommendations, so I bought it.

I recently installed that ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 sound card which was a bear considering the cables coming from the PSU are barebones minimal. I have one lead coming off the "FSP Group" PSU that is driving one HD, a DVD drive, and now the sound card, and another lead for the ATI Radeon GPU.

I have had some problems after installing the 630W PSU and ASUS card. Things that would seem unrelated to the install, like losing my router signal, and drivers, losing the drivers for my Cyborg keyboard, dimming of my display and once getting a white screen crash. This happened after I installed a Rosewill 630W "Greenwatts" PSU. So I took that back out and put the original PSU back in. I downloaded all the latest drivers from ASUS for the sound card as well. Still issues.

I have removed the card, reinstalled it, including the drivers about 3 or 4 times now trying to fix this. I know I have a PSU issue just because of the limited wiring on the POS.

I want to increase the PSU wattage but have reservations about the 3 month old Rosewill 630 watt PSU, even though it has cables galore. But the way my Gateway wiring is inside, I have cable connections on the inside top of the case and built in connections for 2 internal hard drives that I can just plug in using a carriage system but these "different" wiring connections are throwing me off because it looks a little complicated. Anyway I succeeded in hooking up my Rosewill PSU and getting the computer to work, albeit with some problems noted above.

I have 4 questions.

1. My display dims about 2 or three times when booting up the computer now. It never did that before installing the sound card, and it isn't right. And it is still doing it now whether the card is in or not, or whether I put in the higher 630 watt PSU. I have since returned to the original PSU. Something is wrong there and it worries me immensely. But it is doing this whether I have the better power supply in or not now. And when I remove the ASUS card and drivers, the screen still dims now on booting. Some thing got messed up.

2. Are there issues with Rosewill PSU's, and should I go for a better PSU, like maybe Antec?

3. I am getting hard click noises from the speakers sometimes when I hit on some icons, like opening an app, and other times, but don't know if this is the windows sound prompts or not. They do not sound right at all, and I know it's not supposed to do that. Any ideas?

4. Do I have to go into the BIOS and change anything? ASUS says something about doing that, but I have disabled Realtek from loading, and am using the ASUS sound card as the default device for the speakers as it told me to do in the directions. I don't think I am capable of screwing around with the BIOS settings, I'm not sure. I'm not stupid, but this is out of my league I think. I can understand directions on how to do this I think, but it scares me. I don't want to end up taking my computer in to a mechanic.

crashtestaddict

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Yes. But I have it running now with just the dimming of the screen on boot, and that tick noise every now and then depending on what I open, or click on. Something is wrong, I just don't know what it is.

The card is simply awesome, and sound extremely clean, and loud. I am hearing things I never heard before in both music and gaming. It's incredible. BUt I am worried about the dimming on boot.

crashtestaddict

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
So far everything works except for the dimming of the display on boot a couple of times, and it does it when the ATI is loading, and the sound card. However, I am going to switch out the OEM PSU for a better one with at least 650W's.