Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Free data recovery from dead external hard drive western digital

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2012 6:50:38 PM

Hello,
My external WD 500GB hd died; no warning signs or odd sounds, just plugged it in and nothing. I tried a different USB cable but no such luck. Tried the external on another computer, still nothing. I did the whole freezer thing and you guessed it, nothing. I have so much data on this drive. Please help.
Related resources
a c 288 G Storage
November 20, 2012 5:36:56 AM

It does sound like a board fault.

Is this a Passport? If so, then the USB circuitry is on the drive itself, rather than on a separate board. If you don't mind voiding your warranty, then open the enclosure and post some photos of the boards. Your next step will depend on what we find.
Score
November 27, 2012 9:39:05 AM

The most convenient backup system would have duplicate copies of every file and program that were immediately accessible whenever a Data Loss Event was noticed. However, in most situations, there is an inverse correlation between the value of a unit of data and the length of time it takes to notice the loss of that data. Taking this into consideration, many backup strategies decrease the granularity of restore ability as the time increases since the potential Data Loss Event. By this logic, recovery from recent Data Loss Events is easier and more complete than recovery from Data Loss Events that happened further in the past.
Recovery is also related to the type of Data Loss Event. Recovering a single lost file is going to be substantially different than recovering a whole system that was destroyed in a flood. An effective backup regimen will have some proportionality between the magnitude of Data Loss and the magnitude of effort required to recover. For example, it should be far easier to restore the single lost file than to recover the whole system destroyed in a flood.
Score
May 10, 2013 5:31:55 PM

I am having the same issue, but mine does atleast come on, however, I cant turn the green button off/on, it's just on. I have switched out the USB cord several times, nothing helps....I really need some wedding photos off of it!!!! :-(
jane6564 said:
fzabkar said:
Does it spin up or make any sound or vibration, however soft, as if it is trying to spin up?

Can you see it with UVCView or HD Sentinel?

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.ex...
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Be aware that many users are reporting connection problems with the USB connector.

Nope to all; not a sound, vibration or any indication it's trying to do anything.

Score
June 9, 2013 10:14:05 AM

Were you all able to recover your files? I am having a similar problem. I have the WD My Book Essential 2.0 and it just stopped working a couple weeks ago. The light goes on for a second, but then just dies. It doesn't show up on my computer. Any help would be extremely appreciated. I called a few data recovery places and they are extremely expensive. Is there a way to do this myself?
Score
June 23, 2013 8:13:28 AM

fzabkar said:
It does sound like a board fault.

Is this a Passport? If so, then the USB circuitry is on the drive itself, rather than on a separate board. If you don't mind voiding your warranty, then open the enclosure and post some photos of the boards. Your next step will depend on what we find.

Hello, I have a passport and it can be seen by Santinel or usb view but dead and OS cannot see it. Please suggest what can be done?
Score
July 15, 2013 9:17:27 PM

My WD My Book Essential 2T died as well. It was working fine before I rebuilt my computer, I had left it unused for six months and decided to plug it back in again to do some more backup, but when I plugged it back in nothing happened at all, no light no noise, then it started to smell like it was overheating so I quickly unplugged it and took it apart only to find the circuit board did indeed over heat and probably fried, how? must be built in obsolencses from WD.

Since I had it all apart, I decided to plug it directly into my computer via SATA cables, the computer recognizes that it is there, but now I needed to assign it a drive letter, now comes my conundrum, since I have about 500gb of data on it, I don't want to lose it, but before I can assign a drive letter it says I need to format it to NTSF, if I don't it keeps it in RAW format and says the disc is empty. My fear is if I format it, which I don't understand why I have to since it is already full of data, that I will lose everything or I am missing something here????
Score
!