Closed

Free data recovery from dead external hard drive western digital

Hello,
My external WD 500GB hd died; no warning signs or odd sounds, just plugged it in and nothing. I tried a different USB cable but no such luck. Tried the external on another computer, still nothing. I did the whole freezer thing and you guessed it, nothing. I have so much data on this drive. Please help.
7 answers Last reply
More about free data recovery dead external hard drive western digital
  1. Does it spin up or make any sound or vibration, however soft, as if it is trying to spin up?

    Can you see it with UVCView or HD Sentinel?

    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

    Be aware that many users are reporting connection problems with the USB connector.
  2. fzabkar said:
    Does it spin up or make any sound or vibration, however soft, as if it is trying to spin up?

    Can you see it with UVCView or HD Sentinel?

    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

    Be aware that many users are reporting connection problems with the USB connector.



    Nope to all; not a sound, vibration or any indication it's trying to do anything.
  3. It does sound like a board fault.

    Is this a Passport? If so, then the USB circuitry is on the drive itself, rather than on a separate board. If you don't mind voiding your warranty, then open the enclosure and post some photos of the boards. Your next step will depend on what we find.
  4. I am having the same issue, but mine does atleast come on, however, I cant turn the green button off/on, it's just on. I have switched out the USB cord several times, nothing helps....I really need some wedding photos off of it!!!! :-(
    jane6564 said:
    fzabkar said:
    Does it spin up or make any sound or vibration, however soft, as if it is trying to spin up?

    Can you see it with UVCView or HD Sentinel?

    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/UVCView.x86.exe
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/

    Be aware that many users are reporting connection problems with the USB connector.



    Nope to all; not a sound, vibration or any indication it's trying to do anything.
  5. Were you all able to recover your files? I am having a similar problem. I have the WD My Book Essential 2.0 and it just stopped working a couple weeks ago. The light goes on for a second, but then just dies. It doesn't show up on my computer. Any help would be extremely appreciated. I called a few data recovery places and they are extremely expensive. Is there a way to do this myself?
  6. fzabkar said:
    It does sound like a board fault.

    Is this a Passport? If so, then the USB circuitry is on the drive itself, rather than on a separate board. If you don't mind voiding your warranty, then open the enclosure and post some photos of the boards. Your next step will depend on what we find.


    Hello, I have a passport and it can be seen by Santinel or usb view but dead and OS cannot see it. Please suggest what can be done?
  7. My WD My Book Essential 2T died as well. It was working fine before I rebuilt my computer, I had left it unused for six months and decided to plug it back in again to do some more backup, but when I plugged it back in nothing happened at all, no light no noise, then it started to smell like it was overheating so I quickly unplugged it and took it apart only to find the circuit board did indeed over heat and probably fried, how? must be built in obsolencses from WD.

    Since I had it all apart, I decided to plug it directly into my computer via SATA cables, the computer recognizes that it is there, but now I needed to assign it a drive letter, now comes my conundrum, since I have about 500gb of data on it, I don't want to lose it, but before I can assign a drive letter it says I need to format it to NTSF, if I don't it keeps it in RAW format and says the disc is empty. My fear is if I format it, which I don't understand why I have to since it is already full of data, that I will lose everything or I am missing something here????
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Data Recovery Western Digital External Hard Drive Storage