NZXT LEXA heatsink

Alexandros

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I am building a computer for the first time and don't really know what I am doing. I think I will buy a NZXT LEXA case with an i5 760 which I plan on overclocking at least a little. What cooling should I get? What cooling/heatsink will even fit? I really don't have a clue.

Alexandros

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Thank you! Should I get any other fans?

Also, though a little off topic, should I stick with the i5 or upgrade to the i7? Would it even be noticeable for gaming? And what type and amount of ram should I get? I am a noob at this.

tecmo34

Administrator
One fan is an acceptable combination but you can add another 120mm fan for a push-pull setup for a little better cooling. I would add the additional fan, if you see you need some additional cooling needs.

For a gaming build, I would 1) stick with the i5 760 (won't see enough difference to justify cost) & 2) go with DDR3 1600 4GB (2x2GB) of memory. I would recommend either G.SKILL, Mushkin or Corsair for your memory choices.

Alexandros

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the help. While I'm at it I might as well ask about the rest of the machine. What motherboard, power supply do you recommend? I was told to go with this:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard,

KINGWIN Lazer LZ-850 850W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector Power Supply

But I'm not sure if its too much, or not enough, or just wrong. Also would any ram fit in any motherboard?

One final question, should I stick with the GTX 470 or spend the money (which I dont have) and get the 480?

tecmo34

Administrator
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro... The board you mentioned is for the LGA 1366 socket not the required LGA 1156 for the i5 760.

PSU: SeaSonic, XFX or Corsair at a 750 watt level power supply... The Kingwin is not a trusted brand and you don't want to skimp on your PSU.

GPU: I would stick with the GTX 470 or the EVGA GTX 460 SC EE. They are similar in performance.

RAM: I would go with DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 Cas7 or lower from either of the three brands I listed above. You want the voltage to be 1.65V or less!

tecmo34

Administrator
It is a good case for the price. I would get an additional 120mm fan for your front intake though. For a little more money you can get the Cooler Master HAF 912 or Antec 300 Illusion. These are the better cases but you are paying $10 to $20 more though.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) It isn't a big deal on the case. I recommend you getting sinething you like, as you have to see it daily :) I was giving you possible alternatives.

2) If you aren't overclocking, you don't need an aftermarket cooler. If you are overclocking, you will need an aftermarket cooler. I recommend one no matter what because it gives you better cooling over stock heat sinks.