Photo editing and

Kentari

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hi,

I'm building a new PC with the main purpose image processing. It will be quite tasked with panorama rendering and other hd and memory intensive tasks. It also has to be capable of some casual gaming (I'm a fan on the Total War series...). I was aiming for a cost around 1250 Euros (not a hard limit, but to keep the budget under control :)). For now I have the following setup in mind:

CPU: Intel Core I5 760: €190
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55-E: €140
Memory: 2x GeIL DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit GV34GB1333C7DC (8GB): €200
Graphics: Asus ENGTS250 DI/DK/WW: €140
Hard Disk: OCZ OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G: €330
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus: €25
Case: Antec Three Hundred: €45
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W: €80
OS: Windows Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit: €145

Total cost: €1295

Remarks: I already have a set of storage HD's and will probably add another SSD or a 600GB Velociraptor later when my budget allows it...

Feel free to comment, make suggestions for changes, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Kentari

This would be my usual college/uni mobile "*anything u throw at it" build so maybe u could nab some ideas hehe
771GBP off EBuyer UK
Untitled-1048.jpg

I suggest the CM GeminiIIS low profile cooler if u intend to clock a.s.a.p ^^

* Stuff like
Computer graphics design/art
Render
Encode (image/video/audio/etc)
Compiling
Gaming
Folding
Engineering apps/MATLAB

Kentari

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should clarify a bit...

I already have the case and power supply in my current system (Old Pentium 4 which will retire...).

I am pretty convinced on the CPU, motherboard and SSD unless something serious pops up here.

Is GeIl a good brand for memory? My supplier carries: Corsair, GeIl, Kingston and OCZ. I understood OCZ is a bit dodgy. Is there any advantage to the Black Dragon series except for the silly LED and art (which I will never see in a PC under my desk)?

I picked the NVIDIA card because of the CUDA support which seems to be more widespread than Stream. I chose the GTS 250 because it seems about optimal performance per Euro. My supplier carries ASUS, XFX and GigaByte for these cards. Any thoughts whether ASUS is the right choice here?