Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~$2k WC OC i7 SLI SSD

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2010 1:51:05 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: one month

BUDGET RANGE: Around $2k After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, file-sharing, internets, blu-ray

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS - Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Wherever

PARTS PREFERENCES:

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

IKONIK Ra X10 LIQUID IC-R1ABB-0000 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS Rampage III Gene LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Kingston HyperX T1 Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GX

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk SATA Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - OEM

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

OVERCLOCKING: Yes - the CPU to start, possibly GPUs later.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Like the case as a base for long term. Are all memory/cpu timings synchronized? Would love to hear feedback, haven't build a tower in a while. :) 

I chose the case as i could see myself using this for at least a decade and I like so much about it, size, appearance, weight, design. Will take the i7 and see how much i can get out of it. Can start with one or two GPU, HDD, and SDD, still debating.

More about : sli ssd

Best solution

August 13, 2010 2:03:15 PM

Are you kidding me? $400 for a case? That's excessive. You're wasting your money. You're not going to get a good SSD, watercooling and great gaming performance for under $2,000. To do watercooling right, you need to spend about $500, and you don't want to go cheap. A good SSD will cost around $200. That leaves about $1,300 for the actual build. While still decent, you can drop the cost of cooling by a good $400+ and get the best air cooling around, which often is as good or better than water, wich would leave $1,700 for the components, which gets you the top of the line gaming performance.

All in all, you've got a $2,000 build that can't handle gaming at 1080p. The 460 is decent for it's price, but it's not a gaming powerhouse. A single one can only handle gaming at lower resolutions with max details. While the 460 SLI is excellent (it gets similar performance to a 5970), but that's as high as it goes. Adding the third card doesn't boost performance enough to be cost effective, which limits the upgradibility of the card. You're wasting your money. You're not going to get a good SSD, watercooling and great gaming performance for under $2,000. To do watercooling right, you need to spend about $500, and you don't want to go cheap. A good SSD will cost around $200. That leaves about $1,300 for the actual build. While still decent, you can drop the cost of cooling by a good $400+ and get the best air cooling around, which often is as good or better than water.

If you want something that's actually good, here's what you should be looking at:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $484
RAM: Corsair XMS3 3x2 GB 2000 mhz CAS Latency 9 $180. Cheaper sticks that are likely better.
GPU: HD 5970 $650. A much better GPU, and you still have the option of a second one, not that you'll ever need it.
SSD: 2x Intel X25-V 40 GB $220 (put them in RAID 0). A bigger, better, faster (once in RAID) SSD. I'd actually consider leaving this out for now. They're expensive for now and they'll only get faster.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $60. Faster, cheaper.
Case: HAF 922 $90. It's the absolute best case out there. There is no reason to spend more than this on a case. Others to look at would include the HAF 932 and Coolermaster Cosmos, but they aren't as great of a deal.
PSU: Corsair 850W Modular $150 after rebate. 1000W is complete overkill. Also, Coolermaster PSUs aren't exactly known as the best around.
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $16 with promo code. BluRay is completely pointless for computers right now. Wait for it to be cheaper or have a real use.
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 $90

Total: $1,939

EDIT: I should add that thinking you're going to be able to get high performance out of a build for 10 years is absolutely unrealistic. This is especially true if you're trying to push the system to it's limits (i.e. a massive overclock). Subjecting a build to that kind of torture for years is going to take a toll on the longevitiy. Also, considering Intel's current sockets are essentially dead (they're introducing new ones by the end of the year), there is no upgrade path for the CPU, which really hurts the longevitiy as well. That said, the above build gets you as close as possible to 10 years. I'd say that after 5-6 years, you could drop in a second 5970 and the i7-980 and get another 2-3 years out of it, but that'd be about as far as you could get and maintain performance.
August 13, 2010 2:11:17 PM

haha $400 bucks for a case :p  i would go with MadAdmiral
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 2:14:22 PM

Agree with the admiral. get a single high-end GPU, then crossfire/sli in a couple years as an easy upgrade in a year or two.

good air cooling should get you a respectable overclock, maybe add water cooling later.

$400 for a case is a bit crazy, get a really solid case for maybe $100, spend the left over on good cooling and graphics.

also, by the end of august the i7 950 is supposed to get a price drop to where the 930 is now, so if you're not building until after that, check it out.
m
l
August 13, 2010 2:28:39 PM

The 950's price drop doesn't really matter. The 930 and 950 (and really all 9xx CPUs excluding the 980) are essentially the same chip with different factory overclocks. It's pointless to buy anything above the base one.
m
l
August 13, 2010 2:54:30 PM

agreed, but waiting a couple weeks for a 260MHz base clock bump at the same price seems like a good deal to me.

EDIT: is the 920 phased out, or is newegg just out of stock?
m
l
August 13, 2010 5:21:01 PM

Except then the 930 wouldn't be at the current price. Intel won't leave the 930 at $295 while a faster chip is the same price. You'd still be paying more for a factory overclock. Heck, even if the difference is $20, it's not worth it. Just look at the X4 955 and 965. No one recommends getting the 965 even though it's $20 for a 200 MHz bump.

As far as I know, the 920 has been phased out. Don't know why you'd want one even if it is available. The 930 is a better version and usually has the same price or is at least within $10.
m
l
August 13, 2010 5:31:41 PM

actually that case looks like a really good deal. 2 radiators, tubes, waterblocks, pumps, fans an entire watercooling system already built-in. it performs hottible but considering the hardware on hand with a few mods it should be a great performer.

But then again watercooling isn't all that a good choice on a mid-range system like this
m
l
August 13, 2010 6:09:14 PM

I may be mistaken, but is that an Asus Rampage III Gene in a full tower case? Why get a giant case if you're getting a micro ATX board?
m
l
August 13, 2010 11:20:51 PM

The idea behind the base is that i would be able to use the same cooling setup on several different rigs. I'm not an enthusiast but i wanted a good guaranteed performance boost. However, after doing some more research it seems that the cooling provided from the case is roughly equivalent to a high end CPU fan. This is less than ideal, and i don't quite understand it given the two radiators in this thing.
Basically the advice is that the performance boost isn't worth the price, spend that money on a nice video card instead. Thanks for the replies! :) 
m
l
August 14, 2010 5:48:35 AM

Best answer selected by kindle139.
m
l
!