CPU running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Hello, I have a Q6600 clocked for 2.4ghz, and I have not made any changes to it. When I open up CPU-Z, it shows that it is running at only 1.6ghz. And even when I am converting video files and my CPU usage is at 100%, it still says that it is only running it at 1.6ghz.
My computer is all clean and everything too, no dust or any damages, it is a stock HP computer.
This irks me because I paid for 2.4ghz, but I am only getting 1.6ghz, I want that 0.8ghz, mainly because I can see a massive difference in the time it takes for me to convert my video files, taking nearly 50% longer!

Solution
I fixed a problem I had this morning. After trying a different cpu, the multiplier was stuck on a lower setting in the bios even though I put the original cpu back in. So I unplugged the power supply and removed the motherboard battery for one minute. Then I reinstalled the ps plug and board battery, and the multiplier changed back to the correct number. Then the cpu had the correct reading at the post screen. You might try this and continue searching for a setting for eist or speedstep in the bios. You may have to go through all the sections one by one until you find it. It must be somewhere.

Both Intel and Amd have energy saving software. Intel's is called "speedstep" or eist in the bios. Disable it if you don't want to save energy. The cpu speed is supposed to increase automatically when the cpu is under load, such as gaming. It's probably working fine, but you can disable it if you like on most motherboards.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
How would I go into the BIOS and disable it?
And I did know that it would have energy saving software, but at 100% load I would except it to be back at 2.4ghz.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

How would I go into the BIOS and disable it?
And I did know that it would have energy saving software, but at 100% load I would except it to be back at 2.4ghz.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
lowcpuload.jpg

highloadcpu.jpg

And I closed and restarted both CPU-Z and task manager after each try.
BTW I was converting a video file during this, and I DO see a big noticeable difference in speed it takes.
Also, this slow down has just started happening a while ago, before I did not notice any difference in speed/time taken to convert files.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

http://img3.imageshack.us/i/lowcpuload.jpg/
http://img168.imageshack.us/i/highloadcpu.jpg/

And I closed and restarted both CPU-Z and task manager after each try.
BTW I was converting a video file during this, and I DO see a big noticeable difference in speed it takes.
Also, this slow down has just started happening a while ago, before I did not notice any difference in speed/time taken to convert files.
Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Go to my computer properties and check you actual speed.Donot mess with speed step.If your cpu refuses to speed up even under load then your problem lies some where else.

Which OS you are using?If win7 set power option to default and high performance.

I have Vista Home Premium SP2, running high performance power option.

AbuAK

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Update bios.Or set it to default.Are you using any overclocking software.?

No totally stock (sorry, I am more of a car person, so I used stock, don't know what unmodified is in PC talk) , and how do I update BIOS?
My windows update is having its issue, I can't turn on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) because of Error 1068, trying to solve that, might be malware, planning to check in safe-mode.

Your version of cpuz probably doesn't post realtime readings. Some versions show the cpu speed changing while you're running programs. Oem boards by dell, hp, compaq, and gateway have limited bios settings. You may not find an adjustment for speedstep. And you need to make a backup of your operating system using a blank dvd as soon as possible before you have a real problem, such as a hardrive failure. Vista and windows 7 give you this option. The recovery dvd's take just a few minutes to make. You'll need two dvd's. And they will only work on your motherboard. If you change boards someday, they won't load, since a small code is implanted in the bios by the manufacturer. The software looks for this code everytime you boot up.

I fixed a problem I had this morning. After trying a different cpu, the multiplier was stuck on a lower setting in the bios even though I put the original cpu back in. So I unplugged the power supply and removed the motherboard battery for one minute. Then I reinstalled the ps plug and board battery, and the multiplier changed back to the correct number. Then the cpu had the correct reading at the post screen. You might try this and continue searching for a setting for eist or speedstep in the bios. You may have to go through all the sections one by one until you find it. It must be somewhere.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.