This is WHY You SHOULD NOT run cr@ppy PSUs!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm hoping that was some awful Chinese knockoff, and that legitimate PSU companies (even lesser knowns) don't put out products like that. Scary.

^ Agreed. Mainstream sites like Toms, AnandTech,etc needs to do PSU reviews like these. Apart from the real enthusiasts very few know about JonnyGuru and these PSU testings. Most other reviews out there just call a unit "good" as long as it can hold up to a fully loaded bench run.

It would be nice if somewhere like Tom's could fine an older or a cheap load tester, it doesnt have to be accurate it just has to be durable and able to load up to like 500W, get several cheap $20 PSUs from various brands off of newegg, stuff that it seems like your average home user would buy to replace theirs with if their PSU died, and a video camera to watch the sparks fly and see if any of them survive 50%, 80%, and 100% load, not really to see which ones are good but more to find out which ones are crap. For most cheaper units efficiency was never a goal so no need to risk even a Kill-A-Watt meter on it. Call it a public service announcement or something, just some way to convince people to stop selling crappy products that everyone but the poor smuck they are selling it to knows its a fire hazard.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
With so many things to keep up with in the PC world, I'd just assume to buy Seasonic PSU's, and not have to keep up with things. There are a number of second and third tier manufacturers with good power supplies, but often some are great and other models are horrible. It seems like a lot to deal with. If you sell 10 great PSU's and 2 horrible ones, I will not buy any of them, I don't want to have to track down the good ones.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
^ For translation, my main interest is when the reviewer said something like "Most PSU manufacturers does not allow their product's case to be opened up. But Sirfa sure is confident to let us, literally, tear their PSU to pieces" or something like that.

I don't really know about the other OEMs, but if the statement is true, why would a company forbids reviews on internal components? Do they have something to hide?

Anyway, as a common PC user, I'm glad I bought it for a $2 discount. :lol:

No company forbids reviews on internal components, take a look at any good PSU review like those from hardware secrets of Jonnyguru, any good review cracks them open to look at the internal components and identify the OEM from the layout. All PSUs have the sticker telling you not to open them because if you dont know what you are doing it can kill you.