Sign in with
Your question

This is WHY You SHOULD NOT run cr@ppy PSUs!

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:59:21 AM

See: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

See what happened? This is what you get with a cr@ppy PSU. Next time you think of buying a no name PSU think again. PLEASE get a quality unit from XFX, Antec (most, except Basiq), Corsair, OCZ (most, not all), PC Power & Cooling or SeaSonic.

More about : run ppy psus

October 25, 2010 3:21:10 AM

I'm hoping that was some awful Chinese knockoff, and that legitimate PSU companies (even lesser knowns) don't put out products like that. Scary.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:24:26 AM

^ I know. But the sad thing is there are pretty cr@ppy PSUs out there in the wild. For example, the DiabloTek that Best Buy,etc sells.
Related resources
a c 286 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:53:24 AM

Bad news, unless newegg started stocking cheap chinese knockoffs lately its a legitimate company
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Many of the lower end ones on newegg are similar to that, i believe Wolf almost lost his Brand power meter to a crappy Diablotek a couple months ago.
October 25, 2010 6:10:40 AM

Yeah, for PSUs, I always just do the power search and only pop up Antec, Corsair, etc.
October 25, 2010 6:24:02 AM

ct1615 said:
what i can't explain is how this site stays in business

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=117

everyone of those PSU are $18 + free shipping (doesn't matter if its 300w or 700w)

its cause they are the lil sister of evertek.com who doesnt supply to consumers
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 8:14:15 AM

They would if everyone, got the message about not buying cheap PSU`s.

a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 1:10:15 PM

^ Agreed. Mainstream sites like Toms, AnandTech,etc needs to do PSU reviews like these. Apart from the real enthusiasts very few know about JonnyGuru and these PSU testings. Most other reviews out there just call a unit "good" as long as it can hold up to a fully loaded bench run.
October 25, 2010 6:33:29 PM

Wow. That "PSU" was absolutely pathetic. There's no way I would every put a cheap PSU in any system of mine and as mentioned, this is why. :pfff: 
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 6:43:33 PM

30A on 3.3V and 36A on 5V?!?
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 7:27:44 PM

mi1ez said:
30A on 3.3V and 36A on 5V?!?

you find that on old PSU where the 3.3 & 5 had more performance demand
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 8:01:04 PM

ct1615 said:
you find that on old PSU where the 3.3 & 5 had more performance demand

Innexcusable in this day and age though!
a c 286 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 8:32:20 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Agreed. Mainstream sites like Toms, AnandTech,etc needs to do PSU reviews like these. Apart from the real enthusiasts very few know about JonnyGuru and these PSU testings. Most other reviews out there just call a unit "good" as long as it can hold up to a fully loaded bench run.

It would be nice if somewhere like Tom's could fine an older or a cheap load tester, it doesnt have to be accurate it just has to be durable and able to load up to like 500W, get several cheap $20 PSUs from various brands off of newegg, stuff that it seems like your average home user would buy to replace theirs with if their PSU died, and a video camera to watch the sparks fly and see if any of them survive 50%, 80%, and 100% load, not really to see which ones are good but more to find out which ones are crap. For most cheaper units efficiency was never a goal so no need to risk even a Kill-A-Watt meter on it. Call it a public service announcement or something, just some way to convince people to stop selling crappy products that everyone but the poor smuck they are selling it to knows its a fire hazard.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 12:25:17 AM

Just curious, exactly how much does these PSU testing equipment used by Jonny Guru,etc cost?
a c 286 ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 12:36:04 AM

A hell of a lot from the sounds of it

Quote:
SM-268 does 8 loads and is about $2000 USD.

SM-8800 does 10 loads and is about $5000 USD.

These are prices as recent as April. Either they've come down or I'm not taking the falling US dollar into account. :D 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4283

Those are prices from april 2008, i dont imagine they have decreased in price much since then
October 26, 2010 3:34:33 AM

ct1615 said:
what i can't explain is how this site stays in business

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=117

everyone of those PSU are $18 + free shipping (doesn't matter if its 300w or 700w)

To be fair I doubt any of these PSU's weigh over a pound, so the free shipping isn't as much of an incentive as it would be on a real PSU.
October 26, 2010 4:12:33 AM

The high 3.3 and 5volt is from way back in the day when the cpu was powered with those voltages (stepped down or whatever) vs now its 12 volt..

pretty much an antique power supply design from about 1998

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

they get it pretty correct on that link if anyone wants to geek out and read it :p 
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 8:39:57 PM

^ True. But the problem with those one off units is that there either unavailable in the US or very hard to find.
October 26, 2010 9:07:53 PM

With so many things to keep up with in the PC world, I'd just assume to buy Seasonic PSU's, and not have to keep up with things. There are a number of second and third tier manufacturers with good power supplies, but often some are great and other models are horrible. It seems like a lot to deal with. If you sell 10 great PSU's and 2 horrible ones, I will not buy any of them, I don't want to have to track down the good ones.
October 27, 2010 7:04:10 AM

Talk about PSU reviews and the second tier classification, here's a review from my country (the language is local, but just looking at the pictures you'll understand what they're doing):

http://forum.chip.co.id/power-supply-cooling-device/142...

FYI, this is the very reason I bought my current PSU. That salesman is very convincing, I tell you... :p  Must be hypnosis. :lol: 
October 27, 2010 7:46:55 AM

^ For translation, my main interest is when the reviewer said something like "Most PSU manufacturers does not allow their product's case to be opened up. But Sirfa sure is confident to let us, literally, tear their PSU to pieces" or something like that.

I don't really know about the other OEMs, but if the statement is true, why would a company forbids reviews on internal components? Do they have something to hide?

Anyway, as a common PC user, I'm glad I bought it for a $2 discount. :lol: 
a c 286 ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 9:15:12 PM

No company forbids reviews on internal components, take a look at any good PSU review like those from hardware secrets of Jonnyguru, any good review cracks them open to look at the internal components and identify the OEM from the layout. All PSUs have the sticker telling you not to open them because if you dont know what you are doing it can kill you.
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 9:52:27 PM

^ Exactly. Those warnings are there to stop idiots who don't know anything from trying to "fix" their PSUs.

FYI: Those caps in the PSU have enough capacitance to kill or hurt you.
October 27, 2010 10:02:31 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Exactly. Those warnings are there to stop idiots who don't know anything from trying to "fix" their PSUs.

FYI: Those caps in the PSU have enough capacitance to kill or hurt you.

But it is pretty funny when someone trys to gab the fuse out when its still live, to then get the electric shock and cant let go, screming help with his funny face..

But seriously.. dotn mess around kids..
!