New Server

Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2004 1:32:53 PM

Howdy all,

I am getting a new server for hosting UT. I might get a second machine
for UT2K4, but I do not think it will be able to handle all that many
servers. The specs are a 1.4 G Celeron, 80 gig HD, 1 Gig of ram. How
many instances of UT should I be able to host? There will be a second
machine mainly for webhosting/redirect that I might put a couple of
games on too.

Thanks,

gorilla

More about : server

November 10, 2004 12:43:29 AM

gorilla enlightened us with:
> I am getting a new server for hosting UT. I might get a second
> machine for UT2K4, but I do not think it will be able to handle all
> that many servers. The specs are a 1.4 G Celeron, 80 gig HD, 1 Gig
> of ram. How many instances of UT should I be able to host?

I think on that machine, bandwidth is going to be more of an issue
than combinding UT2k4 with UT.

> There will be a second machine mainly for webhosting/redirect that I
> might put a couple of games on too.

A redirect to a server that doesn't share the same bandwidth is really
nice :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
November 10, 2004 1:40:22 AM

gorilla wrote:

> I am getting a new server for hosting UT. I might get a second machine
> for UT2K4, but I do not think it will be able to handle all that many
> servers. The specs are a 1.4 G Celeron, 80 gig HD, 1 Gig of ram. How
> many instances of UT should I be able to host?

Keep adding them and watch the system load. It's pointless to say "x
servers" because what you run on them drastically effects performance
and bandwidth. 20 player nw ctf uses a tad more resources than 1v1
instagib games.

5-10 should be a conservative estimate on linux. Possibly double that,
but your bandwidth is the expensive thing, computers are cheap.

> machine mainly for webhosting/redirect that I might put a couple of
> games on too.

Sure, but that won't use many cpu resources at all.

--
Flash
Anonymous

Bandwidth will not be an issue with these machines as they will be
hosted in a data center with several OC connections to any given
backbone in the area. The main thing I am going for is a stable, bun
server that people enjoy playing on.

Thanks for the input guys.

gorilla

!