Can the 16bit-subsystem in XP be reset without rebooting ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I was told that if WordPerfect for Windows (version 6) is run in XP
and WordPerfect crashes, the 16bit subsystem that the WordPerfect
runs on will be corrupted, causing WordPerfect (and any other 16bit
programs)
to become inoperative, but that this can be reset by rebooting the
computer.

Assuming this is true, is there a way to reset the subsystem
without having to reboot the entire XP operating system?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

16-bit applications may be dos-based programs or even "ancient" Windows 3.1x programs.
Modern Windows apps are 32-bit Windows-compatible.

So first find out about your programs, and then you can attempt to install & run programs under Compatibility mode of XP.

I'm not familiar with V6 of Wordperfect, but if it is a Windows version, the most you might have to do is to set it to run in Win98 compatibility mode.

If it becomes clear, that it is an issue of compatibility, you may *try* running this program under a specific *compatibility mode*.
Do some reading on Compatibility Wizard. Go to XP's Help and Support. In the "Search" box, enter "Compatibility Wizard".
Read section on "Getting older programs to run on Windows XP". It has a link there to start the wizard.

I'd suggest when you get in there, choose the 3rd option line "I want to locate program manually".

See HOW TO: Use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP (301911)
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/301911

How to Troubleshoot Program Compatibility Issues in Windows XP (285909)
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/285909

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

wylbur37 wrote:
> I was told that if WordPerfect for Windows (version 6) is run in XP
> and WordPerfect crashes, the 16bit subsystem that the WordPerfect
> runs on will be corrupted, causing WordPerfect (and any other 16bit
> programs)
> to become inoperative, but that this can be reset by rebooting the
> computer.
>
> Assuming this is true, is there a way to reset the subsystem
> without having to reboot the entire XP operating system?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Kill explorer.exe and restart it.

Open Task Manager...
Ctrl + Shift + Esc | Processes tab | Right click explorer.exe |
End Process | Click Yes | After everything disappears, with Task Manager
still open, File | New Task (Run...) | Type: explorer | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1116842102.145529.49870@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> I was told that if WordPerfect for Windows (version 6) is run in XP
> and WordPerfect crashes, the 16bit subsystem that the WordPerfect
> runs on will be corrupted, causing WordPerfect (and any other 16bit
> programs)
> to become inoperative, but that this can be reset by rebooting the
> computer.
>
> Assuming this is true, is there a way to reset the subsystem
> without having to reboot the entire XP operating system?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'd more readily believe that killing ntvdm.exe would be much more useful in
"cleaning up" the 16-bit subsystem that killing explorer.exe...

To the original poster: I believe there's a KB article detailing how to run
16-bit apps isolated within their own copies of the 16-bit subsystem
(essentially, one copy of ntvdm.exe for each 16-bit EXE, so if one dies, the
others are unaffected)...someone else can probably point you to the right
article...