ATI 5850 + 500w (generic?) PSU

CtrlAltDefeat

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
So I'm planning to upgrade my current rig, i5-750 CPU , 4GB RAM, ATI 5770, and get the 5850 instead of the 5770, because I will sell the 5770 to a friend. What I am worried about is whether my PSU will handle the new card... I didn't know what a PSU is until recently :p. I have a HuntKey case (some Chinese company) so I'm assuming I also have a Huntkey PSU, and I think the guy at the store told me it was 500w. Is that too bad quality to handle the 5850? I don't live in the US, and neither in the EU, so I didn't really have a selection when selecting the PSU....sorry.... and I don't understand at all about these things....

So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance

CtrlAltDefeat

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Sorry guys, as I said I'm not much of an expert in this, I guess it came with the case....I have no clue about the amperage, or the rails, or anything else :??: , and I'm not sure I can check all this. I was hoping you guys can use your uber skillz and tell me just with how many watts and which company, but I guess I'll see an expert about it if it is not enough info.

Anyone happen to know/ be reasonably sure nonetheless?

barzini

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
500W should be enough to power it, but it might be a good idea to buy a new PSU at 550W+ from a respected brand such as Corsair. Obviously it will depend on your budget and if you have cash available for a new PSU.

Don't risk it, the minimum requirement is 500W or greater, however huntkey isn't a quality brand and probably isn't capable of outputting 500W continuously.

I wouldn't follow dipankar's advice, Coolermaster are only slightly better than generic, I had a Coolermaster Real power 700W which struggled with a HD5850.

Get either Corsair, PC power and cooling, seasonic, OCZ, Antec.... I would recommend going a little over 500W, perhaps 550 or 600W just so you can add other components and be more future proof.

Adwait

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
buy a good psu.a 600 watt coolermaster extreme power is all u need.avoid generic crap.

dude nvr recommend that retarded psu to any one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i hav it and it is not good for high end graphics....................reason...............just 18A on one 12V rail !!!!!!!!!!!
that sucks.........doesnt it ???!!!!
+ just 70% efficiency...............

chk this..................frm test 17...............voltage regulation fails on 19A & + !!!!!!!!!!
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/7

Adwait

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010

+1 !!!!!
completely agreed !!!!!!!!
nvr buy CM PSUs !!!!!!!