Sign in with
Your question

Will it work?

Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2010 5:41:49 AM

Question: I'm using a computer bought from store. Everything is original: AMD Phenom(tm) Quad-Core processor 2.2GHz, 4GB of RAM (DDR2 i think, almost positive), Packard Bell PBGL00 motherboard (Packard bells own motherboard).
So my question is if this 2things will work with my current setup.

The new things: Fractal Design Newton R2, 650W modular, and eVGA GeForce GTX460 768mb SuperOver Clocked graphics card.
Will this fit with my motherboard, my setup?
And also, if you know any other BETTER PSU for around 96£/150$/108euro, PLEASE tell me. I want it to work as good as possible with my new GPU.
Thanks!

More about : work

a c 81 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 7:32:00 AM

1. Could not find any good info on the board.. If it has a pci express x16 slot then surely the video card will work..

2. Which PSU have you selected btw.? You've a pretty good budget but a 650W PSU is itself an overkill for your setup.. You surely don't need any more power.. In fact a good 450W PSU will be enough..

3. Your CPU is going to bottleneck your video card for sure.. Overclocking the CPU might have changed the situation but i guess that's not an option with that motherboard.. Might want to think about that..
October 25, 2010 10:04:16 AM

Emperus said:
1. Could not find any good info on the board.. If it has a pci express x16 slot then surely the video card will work..

2. Which PSU have you selected btw.? You've a pretty good budget but a 650W PSU is itself an overkill for your setup.. You surely don't need any more power.. In fact a good 450W PSU will be enough..

3. Your CPU is going to bottleneck your video card for sure.. Overclocking the CPU might have changed the situation but i guess that's not an option with that motherboard.. Might want to think about that..

To answer question #2: I've selected Fractal Design Newton R2, 650W modular. I think 650 isnt a overkill, cus this is just the beginning of what im gonna build in my comp. And since only the video card itself requires at least 450w, i'll choose a PSU with 500-650w at least, just to be on the safe side.

Question #3: "Your CPU is going to bottleneck your video card for sure.." What does bottleneck mean? Next upgrade is gonna be a new mobo, CPU & RAM. And I don't know how to over clock. My knowledge in computer is futile...
Btw! Here's a link to the mobo i use, or at least very very close to what i have (it looks the same, and the model name defers just a little bit). http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Foxconn-RS740M03-8EKRS2H-Socket-...]
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 11:05:26 AM

Bottleneck = the CPU is too slow to allow the graphics card to perform to its fullest potential.
October 25, 2010 11:27:06 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Bottleneck = the CPU is too slow to allow the graphics card to perform to its fullest potential.

Okey ty. But exactly how big of an impact will it make on my graphics card?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 12:48:15 PM

Hard to say for sure, but the original Phenom is not that impressive. The 2.2GHz clock speed also won't do you any favours.
October 25, 2010 6:06:30 PM

Quote:
just scrap this project and start a new build now from scratch..

I dont have the budget lad, and mind telling a reason why?
!