Question about my 5770's memory

alkara

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Why is my computer reporting that my Sapphire HD 5770 has approx total memory of 2806 when its a 1gig card?

Solution
I have a 5970 and software like GPU-Z show it as a 2GB card,whereas windows DXdiag tool reports the approximate total memory of 3807MB(because of shared video memory) , i remember that with my older cards it was the same(DXdiag always showed more video RAM)
I don't think you can disable it(the shared video memory),unless you have an integrated card which can be disabled from the BIOS
I have a 5970 and software like GPU-Z show it as a 2GB card,whereas windows DXdiag tool reports the approximate total memory of 3807MB(because of shared video memory) , i remember that with my older cards it was the same(DXdiag always showed more video RAM)
I don't think you can disable it(the shared video memory),unless you have an integrated card which can be disabled from the BIOS

Solution

alkara

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Yea, I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor with an Asus M4A78T-E motherboard and it's been working great with no problems since I installed it yesterday. This video card is like 10 steps up from my 3300 HD onboard card. I ran that Windows Experience Index and my 3300hd scored a 4.7. This new card scored a 7.5 out of 7.9. Now the only thing I need to replace is my hard drive which scores a 5.7. Any suggestions for a nice cheap but fast hard drive? :p

WEI isn't a good way to determine your performance, don't worry about the scores.
Every time i upgrade my system, i always get a score like 5.7-5.9 for my HDD.(For each upgrade, i put a faster HDD in my system but the score doesn't change much)