Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 on HDD, Games on SSD??

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2012 5:41:57 AM

Hello,
I've searched forums and etc but cannot seem to find an answer. I'm running Windows 7 (64 bit) and everything else on my computer on a single 500GB HDD. I just purchased a SSD (ADATA Premier Pro SP900) for the purpose of gaming. I'm looking for faster game load times.

I've read of folks putting their OS on the SSD and games on HDD. I'm looking to do the opposite. I wish to keep the OS on HDD and run games on the SSD.

I'm hoping I can simply plug the SSD in and install games to it but I'm not certain that will work?? Is this possible??

Please forgive my computer ignorance and thanks in advance!!

My specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
GigaByte MA790FXTA-UD5
WD 500GB SATAII HD
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
A-Data 4GB DDR3/1600MHz Dual Ch Memory
Corsair Power Supply 750 Watts CMPSU-750TX

More about : windows hdd games ssd

November 11, 2012 9:04:41 AM

An SSD just for games is pretty pointless, sure you'll get faster load times, but not by much seeing as you already have a WD hard drive.
For what it's worth you may as well put the OS on the SSD because you'll get more benefit from that over putting games on it
Also depending on the size of your SSD, you could still get a few games on :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
November 11, 2012 9:21:49 AM

you can plug in the sdd and install your games to it, but it's a waste of an ssd. I wish I was rich enough to buy an SSD and throw it down the toilet! There is a reason people strive to make the OS drive the fastest, be it SSD, RAID, or whatever. AFTER you put your OS on an SSD, then consider an SSD for games, after the you've run out of things to upgrade.
m
l
November 11, 2012 7:18:38 PM

As said, using an SSD for only the games is a pretty big waste. The difference having your OS and other programs on it is so noticeable.

I'd even recommend you pay a little extra for like a 128 or 256gb SSD so you can fit all your games/programs and the OS on it.

I recently upgraded my HDD to an SSD and it's probably the most noticeable upgrade overall for a system.

Also, a sidenote... Having faster loading times is good and all, but for most online games you're going to end up waiting for others to load in anyway, so is it really worth it JUST for that? :p 
m
l
Related resources
!