First build help please - OS won't complete install

foobajoob

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hi, I just built a new computer for the first time and I can't even get an OS to start up. Here's the specs on the computer first:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 (stock cooler)
MoBo: MSI P55-GD55
Mem: 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1333
Vid Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 700W
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

Since I've built it I have RMA'd the motherboard, had Geek Squad check it and they said it was a bad hard drive, RMA'd the hard drive and still having the same problem.

When I try to install Windows 7 or Linux Ubuntuu, it will go through the whole install process and right at the end the computer will shut off as if the power was completely cut, and then it starts back up on its own. For Windows this happens during the last step of install, for Linux it happens on initial boot-up after installation. This problem has been happening the whole time (before, during, after RMAs).

Since I got it back from Geek Squad and recieved/installed the new hard drive, I've noticed that the processor is running really hot for no reason (150F-160F just sitting in BIOS) and it's not running at full capacity. Before it was fine on temp and running at spec speed. I also started getting file corrupted/missing errors when trying to load Windows and I found some scratches on the disc which I believe came from my optical drive (it's a DVD-RW drive from a Dell XPS 410). I think that just sucks for me, but I figured I'd mention it incase it could have something to do with the problem.

I know that's a lot to read and thank you for taking the time to read it. I'd greatly appreciate any insight on what I can do to finally get my new computer working.

150F is 65C which might mean you are overheating while installing windows and thats why it shuts down quickly. Check to make sure your heatsink is on properly will all the pushpins locked in place so the heatsink isnt loose at all.

edit: meant 150F not 150C

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Buy some good aftermarket thermal compound. Clean the cooler and cpu with acetone. Apply a small amound of thermal paste and *carefully* re-seat the cpu and cooler. Also make sure the cpu fan on the heat sink is working properly....which leads me to an interesting story...

On my very first build I put all the parts together and was anxious to fire of my first-build rig. I apparently never heard of the importance of cable management cause while trying to boot the machine it would restart with an error message about the cpu. Turns out some power supply cables moved up against the cpu fan and was stopping it from spinning. I freaked out and moved the cables around and restarted the system. Lesson learned. Oh, and that computer has been going for 6 years with no problems, to this day. :)

foobajoob

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Thanks for the help guys, but why was it having the same problem before BIOS was showing the CPU temp being too high? The temp on the CPU was fine until I put in the new hard drive. It just seems weird and I want to make sure there aren't any other potential issues in addition to the heating problem.

foobajoob

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I solved the heating issue. Turns out the CPU cooler wasn't sitting completely down all the way.
<--- *feels like an idiot* lol

However I'm still having the same problem with the power just shutting off and then restarting. I've got Linux installed on the hard drive right now and it finished the installation but every time I try to do the first boot to the OS, the computer just dies. Could it be a power supply issue?