Core i7 930 Vs. 950 "Cooling Question"

alphabladerunner

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Kindly help me choose between the i7 930 and 950 .
I want to use the computer for long hours of heavy gaming and graphics, reading reviews of both processors it seems that the 930's stock fan is not good and I should replace it with a good one from the market, but I read the 950's stock fan is good!
now from my vendor the price of 930+new fan = price of 950

since I'll pay the same,which one should I go for 930+new fan or 950 with stock fan?

and No, I don't overclock I just use the cpu as is.

Thanks in advance!

alphabladerunner

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Ok I'm more directed into 950, but I will need it for gaming and heavy graphics development though , like 8 hours a day being pushed, does this jeopardize the 950? or simply because no overclocking it means it can handle it?

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Intel have developed that Stock HS/fan for that particular chip, so even at 100% the stock HS/Fan will be able to cope. Even though they aint the best cooling option, they are researched and manufactured for that chip. So yes, i don't see why you'd have to worry about overheating issues running a 950@stock with its stock cooling

There is hardly any difference in temp levels between both the CPU's at stock settings with their default fans.. They have the same TDP rating.. Since You'll be gaming and don't plan on overclocking, get the 950 because of its higher default clock speed..