New Motherboard, Cant fresh re-install windows 7 64 bit. HELP!

beachedsnail

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I have just recently purchased a new Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 to replace my old Gigabyte piece of Sh**.

Heres a sit rep,
-no external HDD
-no OEM Windows 7 64 bit disc ( an ibuypower one)
- Different chip set ( was Nividia, now AMD)

Is there any possible way to succesfully install the new mobo without having to wipe my drive and re-install Win 7 64?

So,people have to told me that when they installed their mobos, windows booted right up and automatically installed all the needed drivers and erased the old ones?

What are your experiences with this process?
Links to any methods appreciated?

Thank you kindly,

Solution
I seriously doubt iBuyPower or CyberPower PC installation disks are locked-down anything like series specific {scripted} Dell, Gateway, HP, etc -- my best guess they're OEM generic installation disk; meaning 'stamped' with their logo and contact info, URL junk etc -- too many variations and too little volume.

edit: The last thing iBuyPower or CyberPower wants you to do is send in a PC IF your HDD fails, so 9.9/10 it's a full OEM installation disk -- just customized as I stated. I build and I create my own OEM Windows 7 install disks the same way -- generic.

As far as AMD Catylist -- that is a scripted install with multiple driver libraries; the installer scripts and polls the GPU. None the less, download and install the latest...
Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Ideally you do want a 'Clean Install' but it's not required. You can simply move the HDD and then install the ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 drivers -> http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TDV_EVOUSB3/#download
AMD Chipset Driver
Realtek HD Audio Driver
AMD VGA Driver
Realtek 10/100/1000 PCI-E LAN
USB 3.0 Host Controller

Even with a Clean Install you'd need to update the drives, and Windows will load the rest. You'll probably need to re-activate Windows.

Good Luck! :)

beachedsnail

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Heres the problem with the re-installation disc i recieved when i bought my "pre"-built ibuypower PC.

Its a non distributable, 3rd party disc with windows 7 64 bit, with bold lettering ONLY USE FOR RE-INSTALL.

but this is a new Mobo, so im not sure how the 3rd party re-install disc will function with my new hardware change.

tbh...I'm a little scared

I seriously doubt iBuyPower or CyberPower PC installation disks are locked-down anything like series specific {scripted} Dell, Gateway, HP, etc -- my best guess they're OEM generic installation disk; meaning 'stamped' with their logo and contact info, URL junk etc -- too many variations and too little volume.

edit: The last thing iBuyPower or CyberPower wants you to do is send in a PC IF your HDD fails, so 9.9/10 it's a full OEM installation disk -- just customized as I stated. I build and I create my own OEM Windows 7 install disks the same way -- generic.

As far as AMD Catylist -- that is a scripted install with multiple driver libraries; the installer scripts and polls the GPU. None the less, download and install the latest versions. Keep in mind Windows will detect the changes and load the proper drivers if moved. I've done that plent of times to 'know.' As I said, install the divers as I've listed above and afterwards open the Device Manager to look for any missing drivers as indicated by {? or !}.

Good Luck! :)

Solution

beachedsnail

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I just emailed the Ibuypower Tech Support and you were correct, it is just a generic Win 7 64 CD,

Thank You jaquith for all your input!

I've only been a part of these forums for 30 min and look at all this solid advice lol

monstrosity

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I realize that this is an old thread, however I do want to go ahead and post a solution for anyone that ends up here looking for answers in the future. It is possible to replace your motherboard and use even an OEM copy of Windows with the new motherboard, however you will have to do a phone activation rather than an online one SO LONG AS THE OLD MOTHERBOARD REQUIRES REPLACEMENT (ie it has died or is very close). If you want more information on doing this I would recommend calling 1-800-MICROSOFT and letting them know that your motherboard is no longer functional/heading that way and you need to activate your copy of windows with the new mobo. They will be able to assist you from there.

Again, I realize this is an old thread, but this is the correct answer according to 2 separate MS reps, one of which was communicating with her supervisor at the time of our call, so I felt it should be included.

Cheers.