AMD 1090T or i7 950 for virtualization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Hi there guys.. I am planning on two new builds within the next couple of days.

System 1 = Virtual Servers lab (vSphere) + Swap drive with W7 for normal gaming/media center (CoD MW2, BF2 once in a while)
System 2 = Desktop PC replacement (Audio encoding, Photoshop, Office, iNet browsing and everything else)

I wonder if 1090T is a better choice for vSphere although it is 6 cores/ 6 threads compared to i7 which is 4 cores / 8 threads.
I am not worried about the ultimate drop of performance/clock speed.. I want to have as many VMs as possible. (DC, SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, SCCM, and 2 more) I even though about a TrendMicro mobo and two CPUs but Xeons are out of my budget. (I already have brand new CM Stacker cases, Ultra X3 > 1000 PSUs, BluRay burners, SSD drives)

So... basically I am looking for some advice/suggestions. I am leaned towards using Gigabyte or ASUS mobos, GSkill Ripclaw sticks (tired or Corsair), eVGA GTX 470, Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Coolers or Tuniqs 120 Extreme.

I will appreciate any help.

Solution
For a VM host, more real cores will offer better performance so that means AMD for system 1 and cheaper so you can give it more memory..

Audio/Graphics/Gaming, would go with Intel for system 2.

I'd go with Asus over Gigabyte, GB having lots of issues if you look at their forum, like G-Skill, I use them, either cooler will do the job very well,.
For a VM host, more real cores will offer better performance so that means AMD for system 1 and cheaper so you can give it more memory..

Audio/Graphics/Gaming, would go with Intel for system 2.

I'd go with Asus over Gigabyte, GB having lots of issues if you look at their forum, like G-Skill, I use them, either cooler will do the job very well,.

Solution

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Oops.. You beat me to write a second post. :) I did a little quick research after my first post on Xeon CPUs. I wonder if 2 x Intel Xeon X3430 Lynnfield 2.4GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Server CPUs - $200 each would yield 8 cores for $400 + I can have even more memory will suffice for the VM host.

I think I'll go with a i7-950 with an Asus mobo (Starting research on which one).
As for the VM host... I am able to run a DC, Exchange, SharePoint and XP under vmWare Workstation with a Q9550, so the X6 should provide a little more room to run 2 more servers (hope so).

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Do you think this setup will work OK as VM host for vSphere?

1 x ASUS KGPE-D16 Dual Socket G34
2 x AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8-Core CPU
2 x Dynatron A5 60mm 2 Ball CPU Coolers
4 x Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Server Memory
1 x EVGA GTX470
1 x Ultra X3 1200watts PSU
1 x CoolerMaster Stacker 830 case

Good build.. Although am not convinced on few components here -

1. Why would you opt for 60mm coolers.?

2. What is the requirement of a GTX 470 in a server build.?

3. The PSU looks like an overkill..

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Emperus:

1. Based on my research there are not many coolers for G34. I am still open to suggestions and will make sure before I purchase at the end of week.

2. I was going to attempt audio/video encoding in a VM with XP or W7. And every once in a while.. swap boot drive with another with W7 to play CoD MW2, BF2 with my son :)

3. Although I agree with you.. I have it brand new sitting in my office. I just found out that the Asus mobo requires 2 x 8-pin EPS. So I will need a splitter (which I would hate) or I will need to buy another PSU.. perhaps the SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Do you run these VMs already in your old system? How is the CPU usage now? Windows VMs are most often not restricted by high need for CPU time, so I really think you will do more than good on 8 cores.

Perhaps look more at having enough RAM and as fast disk access as possible.

Also note that vSphere is not compatible with all hardware.. Check the HCL on Vmware before purchasing anything. One thing that often stops the installation is the lack of a supported network card, the built in NICs on motherboard is often not accepted.

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Ricno:

Thanks for your advice. Please see below for answers to your questions.

1. I run some of the VMs in my Q9550 system with 8GB RAM. I really did not find any bottleneck at all due to CPU usage/resources. The only resource that was heavily usage (as expected) is RAM. Depending on my immediate need I changed RAM settings from 1GB - 2GB. I am starting with 16GB but hope I can get better pricing by XMas so I can get the system up to 48GB - 64GB.

2. I have decided to opt for Dual 8-Cores. The difference in price right now is not worth it. In fact.. you can get two dual 8-Core systems for the price of one dual 12-core. Although I could have gone that route.. I prefer to save some $$$ and perhaps just get more memory as suggested.

3. I have read that several people have successfully installed vSphere with this mobo/cpu. However, they have all stated that at least 4 banks for each CPU must be populated to avoid a particular fatal memory error during the install.

4. I already have a 4-port Intel card that is compatible with vSphere. :)

5. Another point to consider is that vSphere Essential Kits (Lower End/Small Bussiness) seems to support up to 3 dual cpu servers BUT up to 6-cores. I have emailed sales support requesting more info on their licensing. Since I will only use one server, I may be able to use all 8-cores on my system. Otherwise, it will be a shame to loose 4 cores. :(

LowBoost

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Actually... I am now debating between these two mobos:

1. ASUS KGPE-D16
2. TYAN S8230GM4NR

The Tyan is in the HCL from vmWare but I have not found any reviews. The Asus is not in the HCL (perhaps newer mobo) but looks like a better mobo. :(
ang.. I need to order tonight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.