Change font size on browser for ALL fonts on ALL web pages..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 5:01:10 PM

I just bought an IBM T42p laptop, and the 1600x1200 is too small for me. I
can address this for the desktop (make fonts larger), and applications (same
thing), but when I choose larger fonts in IE or Firefox, a lot of times it
doesn't work. I assume this is because they are using a specific size in the
html, not an <h4> or whatever, size tag. Yet here
(http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/22_IBM_Thinkpad_T42p.h...) Rasmus talks
about "Just set your font size to your liking." Well, how the heck do I do
that in a browser on a web page that doesn't work when I change the font
size setting?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 5:02:18 PM

P.S. I am not interested in changing the resolution from the display
resolution - the scaling looks very bad.

"Homer Sampson" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
>I just bought an IBM T42p laptop, and the 1600x1200 is too small for me. I
>can address this for the desktop (make fonts larger), and applications
>(same thing), but when I choose larger fonts in IE or Firefox, a lot of
>times it doesn't work. I assume this is because they are using a specific
>size in the html, not an <h4> or whatever, size tag. Yet here
>(http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/22_IBM_Thinkpad_T42p.h...) Rasmus talks
>about "Just set your font size to your liking." Well, how the heck do I do
>that in a browser on a web page that doesn't work when I change the font
>size setting?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 5:11:51 PM

"Alex Quant" <alexqspam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> Internet Explorer 6.x : access the Internet Options by selecting the
> "Tools" menu. From there, click the "Accessibility" and check "Ignore
> font sizes specified on Web pages". The should override the font size
> attributes set by the web-page designer.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alex Quant

.... and all us web-designers make the sound of being punched in the gut....
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 2:48:11 PM

In article <ZM6dneRImPN6DTLcRVn-rw@comcast.com>, Homer Sampson wrote:

> P.S. I am not interested in changing the resolution from the display
> resolution - the scaling looks very bad.

Windows supports that but many applications don't and bitmaps aren't scaled.

> "Homer Sampson" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought an IBM T42p laptop, and the 1600x1200 is too small for me.

I've had the same problem with Dell laptops. My solution was to use a proxy server
and alter font sizes on the fly to make 15 pixels the smallest size. It's not a
perfect solution and I occasionally bypass the proxy if a particular site is
unreadable. At this point I may use the taskbar magnifier to let me enlarge the text.

In article <Xns95B49A98A69EDsonicyouth@216.196.97.132>, Good Man wrote:

> .... and all us web-designers make the sound of being punched in the gut....

One can argue that web-designers who ignore text viewability deserve whatever they
get. I'm curious as to why you feel it necessary to specify absolute font sizes in a
web page? If the web page didn't use an absolute font size, the user could adjust the
size through use of their browser text size configuration. Isn't it better for the web
site/designer that the user can actually read the web page?

Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 5, 2004 8:47:47 PM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 11:48:11 EST, Mike Blake-Knox
<mikebkdontspam@Intrex.net> wrote:

:>In article <ZM6dneRImPN6DTLcRVn-rw@comcast.com>, Homer Sampson wrote:
:>
[...]

They're probably the same ones that use absolute sizing that makes it
impossible to print out their web pages without using some sort of a "shrink
to fit" addon to IE. Or you can use, as I do, Firefox with its built-in
"shrink to fit" capability for printing web pages. I guess they just want
you to keep coming back to read their pages online so they get more "hits"
for their advertising. :-)

:>Mike

me/2
!