Motherboard-caused memory problem?

felipet1326

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hello,
I had been having some memory problems, so I RMAed my 2x OCZ ddr3 2gb 1333MHz ram and got 1600MHz RAM instead. I put this in my PC and booted up. Immediately my computer crashed with a memory-related bluescreen. I ran mtest86+ and got a bunch of errors at somewhere between 2000MB-3000MB. I did some swapping and discovered that it seemed neither new stick of RAM was "bad". There are 4 slots for RAM in my motherboard. The one closest to the CPU is pretty much blocked by the CPU fan. When either stick of RAM is in the next slot, I get no errors on memtest x86+. When either stick of ram is in the next slot, I get errors at ~2500MB. In the 4th slot, I get errors somewhere around 3000mb. I noticed all of the error byte columns are the same-0x00400000. Since there is only one bit off, I think there is one tiny wire that is damaged in the motherboard. Is there anything I can or should do besides RMA the motherboard?
Thanks in advance!

That is some nice detailing on self conducted tests. Well done. From the looks of it, it does seem like the memory slots on the board have some fault. RMA seems like a good idea. Until of course some better memory expert gives a look to this thread and gives some more conclusive verdict.

felipet1326

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks,
I moved the CPU fan out of the way, and I tested the first RAM slot. When I only have one stick in either of the first two slots, I don't get a single error. When I have memory in both slots, I get some errors. This is very surprising. Could it be an incompatibility error also? I tried under-clocking the memory and manually setting the timings and voltages in the BIOS to what is recommended on the memory (the BIOS had detected it wrongly). This didn't seem to change anything.
I tried booting Windows with only one stick of RAM in and I kept getting BSoDs. I think the times that I booted and it crashed while booting because of corrupt memory really messed Windows up.

felipet1326

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Sorry, I didn't see these replies. I fixed it by buying a new motherboard and Ram. In case anyone was wondering, the RAM was OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK. The motherboard was MSI 785GM-P45.
The RAM still didn't work in my new motherboard, an ASUS M4A88T-M. Both motherboards kept detecting the memory incorrectly (as 1333 MHz, CL9). I tried both the detected settings and the packaged settings. I think something is wrong with the way the memory is designed.

There is nothing wrong with the motherboards detecting the memory modules at 1333 MHz. If you look at the motherboard specifications, they do not mention native support for 1600 MHz ram. So until you yourself set it up in the BIOS, the memory will be detected at 1333 MHz only.