Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H no start after power failure

Last response: in Motherboards
June 19, 2011 5:05:13 AM

No post, no signs of life at all.
Replaced psu, no luck.
Took out battery for over 10 seconds, nothing.
Anything else I can try? Is it possible I need to do something special after power failure?
thanks
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 11:46:41 AM

Take it out of the case and try on a wooden table or cardboard or some other non conductive material. Place the case close so you can use the power button. Try with one stick of RAM and see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2011 4:00:43 PM

Hi there,

When you have a power failure, if the hard drive is not active and the system is idle, usually you are safe.
If the hard drive is active files can become corrupted but usually you can boot, at least to the setup screen or thru the setup phases to the desktop.

If your computer is on when the power comes back on, you can get a power surge or spike which can burn delicate MB chips. When that happens nothing happens when you try to boot up, no speaker beep at all. Many times requires MB replacement

That's why it is important to have at least a surge protector, better a UPS which keeps the computer on until regular power comes back on, or until you can shut the system down and off yourself.
Related resources
June 25, 2011 4:18:47 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

When you have a power failure, if the hard drive is not active and the system is idle, usually you are safe.
If the hard drive is active files can become corrupted but usually you can boot, at least to the setup screen or thru the setup phases to the desktop.

If your computer is on when the power comes back on, you can get a power surge or spike which can burn delicate MB chips. When that happens nothing happens when you try to boot up, no speaker beep at all. Many times requires MB replacement

That's why it is important to have at least a surge protector, better a UPS which keeps the computer on until regular power comes back on, or until you can shut the system down and off yourself.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I definitely had a surge protector, and the "protection" indicator is still lit. I don't think for a minute that surge protectors are foolproof, but I expected that if the surge failed to protect the led would at least be "off". :??: 
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2011 5:03:19 PM

That's my understanding also, that if a surge protector takes a hit, not just a surge but a high spike, the Led will go off.

I always forget that most chips are running on 3-5 volts, and a power spike, or just static electricity can generate several thousand volts for an instantaneous period of time. Once there's a short across a semiconductor junction, they may not function properly.

If you dont even get to your Splash screen, your HDD data may well still be safe, and you can connect the bad computer HDD to a functional one to extract or use the data.
!