h225

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hey Folks, Looking at building a mini system. Want to use it as my main desktop just like the space savings and portability. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: approx 1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Play at home, Gaming, Netflix

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, HDD, Optical Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon, newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: none

OVERCLOCKING: no

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Case: $205 Silverstone SG07 ITX(mini)

Power: $0 case supplied 600w power supply 1x12v rail

Mobo: $130 Zotac H55-ITX (LGA1156)

CPU: $195 Core i5-750

GPU: $230 GTX 460 1gb

Memory: $100 2x2 Gb Corsair DDR3 @1333 ghz (mobo limited to 2 DIMM slots) Maybe 2x4 Corsair DDR3 for 190$ ?

SSD: $215 80 gb intel X25M

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i'd go for this moo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128448&cm_re=itx_gigabyte-_-13-128-448-_-Product

its gotten excellent reviews. supposedly the best ITX board.

other than that, you have a solid build. Heat is always an issue in this builds, so if it will fit in the case i would get one of these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185129&cm_re=scythe_shuriken-_-35-185-129-_-Product

but given the lack of space on ITX boards i doubt it will, and there aren't any other cpu coolers likely to fit.

h225

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Thanks. I think i will take your advice on the motherboard. A supposedly case-compatible CPU cooler would be the Thermalright AXP-140 which I will probably add for somewhere around $50.

While were on the topic, I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia cards tend to run hotter than ATI. Is that still true, and if so is it enough of a reason to switch? I am not buying the GTX 460 for 3D or anything else that I couldn't get on an ATI.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yes NVIDIA GPUs get really hot, i would go with ATi if you want a cooler system. Um, why mini itx? you won't have any graphics card options really.. mini itx cases are tiny and come with low wattage PSUs most of the time, i would go with the good ol' ATX or micro atx for a gaming build. You just have more options

welshmousepk

Distinguished
*sigh*, mr pizza, this is the second time you have given misinformation regarding the GTX460, i would suggest reading some reviews to make sure you have the info correct.

OP, the GTX 480/470 have big heat issues (which is why they are unpopular) but the GTX 460 is built on a newer and more efficent architecture. it runs much cooler and quieter, and is generally thought of as being one of the best (if not the best) GPUs this generation.

heat won't be an issue with a 460.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-13.html

Temperature.png

no, the only way he will get a cooler GPU on the ATI side is to go with something vastly less powerful. the 460 is cooler and quieter than a 5770. like i said, you may want to read some reviews before you answer peoples questions.

h225

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I want the mini for maximum portability, and I want to try doing one that is EXACTLY what i need and no more. In the past I have gotten larger cases for upgradability, but i never end up actually upgrading.

The Lian li cases are of outstanding quality. And are made of aluminum which makes them easier to move.
I just replaced a desktop case with a lian li mini-itx PC Q07. It is well... cute, but is too short for a decent gaming card.
I am a lian li convert.