Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mini ITX build

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2010 10:58:27 PM

Hey Folks, Looking at building a mini system. Want to use it as my main desktop just like the space savings and portability. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: approx 1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Play at home, Gaming, Netflix

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, HDD, Optical Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon, newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type: none

OVERCLOCKING: no

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Case: $205 Silverstone SG07 ITX(mini)

Power: $0 case supplied 600w power supply 1x12v rail

Mobo: $130 Zotac H55-ITX (LGA1156)

CPU: $195 Core i5-750

GPU: $230 GTX 460 1gb

Memory: $100 2x2 Gb Corsair DDR3 @1333 ghz (mobo limited to 2 DIMM slots) Maybe 2x4 Corsair DDR3 for 190$ ?

SSD: $215 80 gb intel X25M

More about : mini itx build

August 14, 2010 12:59:13 AM

Thanks. I think i will take your advice on the motherboard. A supposedly case-compatible CPU cooler would be the Thermalright AXP-140 which I will probably add for somewhere around $50.

While were on the topic, I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia cards tend to run hotter than ATI. Is that still true, and if so is it enough of a reason to switch? I am not buying the GTX 460 for 3D or anything else that I couldn't get on an ATI.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2010 1:19:26 AM

Yes NVIDIA GPUs get really hot, i would go with ATi if you want a cooler system. Um, why mini itx? you won't have any graphics card options really.. mini itx cases are tiny and come with low wattage PSUs most of the time, i would go with the good ol' ATX or micro atx for a gaming build. You just have more options
m
l
August 14, 2010 2:18:35 AM

*sigh*, mr pizza, this is the second time you have given misinformation regarding the GTX460, i would suggest reading some reviews to make sure you have the info correct.

OP, the GTX 480/470 have big heat issues (which is why they are unpopular) but the GTX 460 is built on a newer and more efficent architecture. it runs much cooler and quieter, and is generally thought of as being one of the best (if not the best) GPUs this generation.

heat won't be an issue with a 460.
m
l
August 14, 2010 2:40:51 AM

well hey man, nvidia GPUs are just hotter in general, and in MINI ITX cases there is hardly any airflow... thats why i said it

but yeah ur right, i should have said that D:
m
l

Best solution

August 14, 2010 3:32:43 AM

The build looks good.

As an alternative, look at the lian li PC-Q08 case. It has very good cooling, and takes a standard ATX psu.
It can handle a video card up to 300mm long(11.8")

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Check very carefully on what the maximum size of cpu cooler you can use with these mini-itx cases.
August 14, 2010 8:39:25 PM

Thanks for the case tip. I like that it takes a standard optical drive too instead of slim.
m
l
August 14, 2010 8:42:05 PM

I want the mini for maximum portability, and I want to try doing one that is EXACTLY what i need and no more. In the past I have gotten larger cases for upgradability, but i never end up actually upgrading.
m
l
August 14, 2010 9:00:02 PM

h225 said:
I want the mini for maximum portability, and I want to try doing one that is EXACTLY what i need and no more. In the past I have gotten larger cases for upgradability, but i never end up actually upgrading.

The Lian li cases are of outstanding quality. And are made of aluminum which makes them easier to move.
I just replaced a desktop case with a lian li mini-itx PC Q07. It is well... cute, but is too short for a decent gaming card.
I am a lian li convert.
m
l
August 20, 2010 4:48:31 PM

Best answer selected by h225.
m
l
!