Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply & hanging problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 19, 2011 7:29:01 AM

I have been having strange problems with my desktop computer and I need help again.

(i) At times on starting the computer the processor fan runs but there is no display on the monitor. I had to force shut the computer by holding down the start button for some time. When that happened for the first time I thought that the monitor cable was loose at the PS2 connection. Fiddling with the connection a couple of times the monitor came on.
(ii) When the same problem reappeared again I was unable to get the monitor to work even by tightening & fiddling with the PS2 connection several times. In order to eliminate the problem in the monitor cable I attached my laptop PS2 to the monitor & the monitor was found to be in order raising doubts about the PS2 port on the computer or the Motherboard.
(iii) When the monitor went off again I removed a cable from the Hard Drive to reduce the load on the Power Supply and restarted the computer and the monitor came on. I force shut the computer & re-attached the cable of the hard drive & the monitor came on again & the computer booted up normally.
(iV) After the computer came on I found that it had developed a horrible hanging problem. Cont+Alt+Del & the mouse were not working and the hour glass was perpetually on. After force shutting the computer I re-started it on Safe Mode and checked my computer for viruses & malwares by applying Malawarebytes, AVG, Ad-Aware and Trojan remover. None showed the computer to be infected. However I observed that the computer had become exceedingly slow.
(V) During the course of all the above problems I found the the system clock had failed and it was showing a date in the year 2002.

While the computer continues to run in the same manner with the monitor coming on erratically and the computer running extremely slow I am unable to diagnose whether the problem lies with the Hard Drive, the system clock battery, the Motherboard or the Power Supply Unit.

The Intel Motherboard is D865GBF/D865GLC and my Operating System is Windows XP SP3. Any help in diagnosing my problem will be highly appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 11:52:21 AM

Very probably the BIOS battery is old, you need to change it.
http://i.imgur.com/gGMqF.gif
They're standard, go to a PC shop with it and get a new one.
June 29, 2011 5:02:52 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying as I was trying to figure out the problem. I had replaced the BIOS battery to no avail. I finally tracked the problem in the motherboard. The probem was in SATA connector on the motherboard to which my HD was connected had shorted. I will have to replace the motherboard.

Thanks anyway.
!