Hard drive fail warning - how to upgrade?

socnyc

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I have a Dell XPS whic is reasonably modern (i7 CPU, 6GB Ram, 64 bit) where I now get frequent warnings that HDD will fail soon. I have backed up my data. I plan to install a new drive and have some questions:-
1) I have a lot of software installed and not sure I have all the discs - is there a way to copy the whole drive (I have a NAS server with plenty of space on my home LAN whic would facilitae this), install the new drive and then copy the saved version back over?
2) Should I go for HDD or SDD? (i don't need super high capacity - I can keep data on the NAS)
3) The machine is Vista - should I upgrade to WIndows 7? I expect that if the "copy drive" approach works, then I will not do this, but if I am faced with full manual software reload, I might as well upgrade the OS, right? I don't like to look of Windows 8, for now at least).

The upgrades aren't guaranteed to keep software. I'd never do an upgrade install myself.

Easeus has a nice free.disk clone tool, and there are others.

You can also download must software install disks and there are tools to extract you product keys from the registry