Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon HD5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-E Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
July 8, 2010 4:07:55 PM

Hey i was thinking about getting the ATI Radeon HD5770 1024MB or would the Nvidia Gts 250 be better?? My current system specs are:
Pentium 4 CPU, 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM,Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT, 450w power supply, windows xp

So i was wondering if this card would work with my current step up, also if upgrading to one of the cards would be worth it (better performance), and should i upgrade some other aspect of my system to maximize performance and or is their a better card i could get??
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:43:06 PM

forget the video card, upgrade your CPU with a decent dual core.

save the rest of your money for future upgrades
Anonymous
July 8, 2010 4:46:48 PM

do you have any ideas on which CPU i should look at??
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:50:02 PM

Wow, that Pentium 4 needs to be upgraded STAT! What kind of motherboard do you have, is it from a Dell or HP or was it a custom guilt PC. If it is a dell or HP, chances are you will not be able to upgrade the CPU and you will need a new motherboard. If it was a custom built PC, than let us know what motherboard it is so we can tell you if you can upgrade the CPU.

In all seriousness, with the Pentium 4 that you are using, you will not see any difference between that 9600GT and a 5770 as the CPU will be the bottleneck.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:50:23 PM

what motherboard do you have?

Anonymous
July 8, 2010 5:14:03 PM

It is a dell xps gen 4 with the following motherboard

I'm pretty sure it is the Intel 925X Express

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: 0U7084
Serial Number: ..CN4811151S01ED.

North Bridge: Intel i925X Revision B1
South Bridge: Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Cpu Socket: Socket 775 LGA

System Slots: 6 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity: 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots: 4
Error Correction: Single-bit ECC
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 5:46:05 PM

it does not look promising, that is a Gen 4 XPS which may be able to upgrade to a pentuim D but that is not worth it either. Also, seeing that it is a dell PC, you will not be able to simply buy another motherboard and put it into that case, Dell usually makes proprietary cases that only fit the motherboards that they choose. It seems that you will have to start from scratch. It is up to you whether or not you want to build your own or buy a pre-built rig but if you do buy pre-built, do not get a dell or HP, go with Cyberpower PC, at least you will have room to upgrade in the future. Keep us posted on what you want to do, we'll surely assist you. Also, try to give some descriptions on what you intend to use the PC for; gaming, work, etc...
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 6:20:38 PM

i don't think they can even take the pentium D chips, im pretty sure the fastest chip they sold with the Gen 4 was the P4 3.73 EE

Anonymous
July 8, 2010 6:31:58 PM

Ok thanks guys i'll do some more research before i come to my final decision
Anonymous
July 10, 2010 12:18:23 AM

Hey guys i started looking into different desktops from ibuypower and came up with the following. This is just the bare bones and was wondering where i could change on the specs?? Also, if the graphics i pick is needed??

Case Tuniq 3 Gaming Tower Case-Black
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System
Case Lighting None
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking
Processor Cooling [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1366]
Memory 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 - 1GB - EVGA Superclocked-Single Card
Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA
Motherboard [SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
Motherboard Add-on None
Power Supply 1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply-[Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC
Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Data Hard Drive None
Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

The url is
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel_X58_Core_i7_Config...
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 12:29:38 AM

if you want to go with ibuypower or cyberpower..or their other company name that i currently forget

get a barebone PC. the less you get the better. You can get the GTX465 from newegg for far less then their overpriced cards. the SB audigy SE sells for $30, they may charge double that. both are simple to install on Win 7 since it will download drivers for you.

RAM is even easier to install and once again much cheaper online.

even a PSU is not that difficult to install and plenty of videos on youtube. the PSU they sell are overpriced and often junk.
Anonymous
July 10, 2010 12:45:41 AM

OK sounds good what about the motherboard any recommendations on a certain type? and what do you think about the processor i picked the Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache) or do you think AMD has a better unit. Also do you think its worth it going dual graphics cards?
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 1:17:34 AM

Sir,
Stick with the i7 930, use that 300 dollars towards getting a 2nd gtx 465. You will have monster performance. If you can't afford it , then go with the one.
Their mark up on parts is not to bad, its just that Intel themselves marks that cpu , quite a bit.
The only thing I would upgrade is the psu to a Corsair unit. 650 for a single card 850 if you decide to go 2.
Good lucks
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 1:27:31 AM

Anonymous said:
OK sounds good what about the motherboard any recommendations on a certain type? and what do you think about the processor i picked the Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache) or do you think AMD has a better unit. Also do you think its worth it going dual graphics cards?

currently the i7 are the top of the line for CPUs in both the Intel and AMD camp.

for dual graphics (SLI for NVidia or CrossFire for ATI) there are two camps. Those who love them and those who hate them. I fall in the latter.

a single GTX 465 is enough for 1920x1080 resolution in most games. you can always upgrade to a new card or get a second GTX465 when the need arises.
Anonymous
July 10, 2010 2:21:35 AM

Thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 3:20:26 PM

notty22 said:
Sir,
Stick with the i7 930, use that 300 dollars towards getting a 2nd gtx 465. You will have monster performance. If you can't afford it , then go with the one.
Their mark up on parts is not to bad, its just that Intel themselves marks that cpu , quite a bit.
The only thing I would upgrade is the psu to a Corsair unit. 650 for a single card 850 if you decide to go 2.
Good lucks

Agreed, go with the i7 930 or even the i7 950 as the prices recently went down, then you can get another video card for SLI. Also, get the GTX 460 instead of the 465, it is basically the same thing for less $$$ and it overclocks better.

Mottongaba, are you comfortable with building your own PC? If so, definitely do it for 2 reasons, you will appreciate and have more knowledge of your PC and it will cost less than Cyberpower/iBuyPower

Anonymous
July 12, 2010 5:51:52 PM

ok thanks for the advice. Quick question what do you think of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB and do u think it is worth the extra money??
July 12, 2010 6:04:54 PM

You should look at the benchmarks on this site and decide for yourself if it is worth the money, since you are ultimately the only one that knows exactly what your expectations are going to be from your machine. The "bang for buck" factor can only be measured if we know what you want to do.

I.E. What games will you be playing? What resolution do you want to play them at, with what kind of graphics settings? Can you accomodate a less-discrete card with your PSU?
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 6:10:11 PM

Well i'll be playing a very broad range of games but i would like to play them at the highest settings or just below the highest settings the game can handle.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 6:11:36 PM

The GTX 470 is much better, but instead of getting the GTX 465 get the GTX 460, it's basically the same performance, just pick the cheaper one.
If the 5850 is cheaper than the GTX 470 by more than $20 then that is also a good choice.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2010 6:26:58 PM

Still, a lot of computer stores have pretty convoluted charging, so we don't know which one is cheaper.
I'll advise you to build your own though, iBuyPower is good but building your own gives a great feeling at the end.
!