Computer Lockup/Crash

ryannn

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
As of the past few weeks my computer has been locking up and crashing about 75% of the time that I try to start it up. I left my computer at home when I went off to school so it hadn't been used for about 8-9months straight and it had worked perfectly up until I got him at the beginning of May.

What happens is my computer will completely freeze, my peripherals (keyboard + mouse) will both stop working, both of them have lights on them and they turn off as well. It usually happens as Windows is starting, right before the Welcome screen, or within a short span of time once I get to my desktop.

I'm going to assume that it's my motherboard that is going out, but I believe the RAM could also be the culprit but I haven't had a chance to sort through the RAM as of yet, and I wanted to see what kind of ideas you guys have as to the problem until I get the chance to test all of my RAM chips.

Computers roughly 3-4 years old... built it when the Core 2 Duo chips just came out.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300
Motherboard (model number): Asus P5B Deluxe
RAM (Model number, speed, timings, voltage): Corsair XMS2 (2x 1GB, 2x 512mb) DDR2 800
CPU cooler (stock or not, model if applicable): ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Video Card (model number): 8800GT (also have a 6800XT plugged in if it matters)
Power Supply (model number, or company and wattage at least): Ultra 450 watt
Hard drive(s): WD 1200JS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3
Case (for cooling issues): Ultra... its been awhile couldn't tell you the model, it's a full tower with a pair of 120mm fans for in/out that I put in on my own.

Edit:
I also recently did a complete reformat (using professional grade software) and reinstallation to see if that'd help, but no dice. Also did a BIOS flash to see if that would help as well.

Solution
Most of the time lockups and crashes can be cause by a bad psu. If you have another one handy swap it out and see what happens. Good luck..

pat

Expert
Could be that by being stopped for a long period, contact from small pins could be kind of corroded and loose good contact. Gently move RAM stick into their slot to allow contact to be made again, as well as any PCI card and sata wire.

ryannn

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I just completely took apart the computer, cleaned all the dust, etc then resinstalled everything back into the case. While doing so I tested all my RAM modules, and they're all working properly. As far as temperatures go... everything is running at a normal working temperature and there's no outlandish temps. I've tried using both the 8800GT and the 6600XT and I still run into the same issue, as soon as Windows begins to boot my computer locks/crashes.