Sign in with
Your question

How to control a desktop from a laptop

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2012 11:58:45 PM

Hello,
Im not very savy but I can follow directions. I have a HP Pavillion (2003) that had a bad video card. I cannot hook up a monitor. I want to get my personal pics, videos, and progrms out before I scrap the desktop. How do I hook up my laptop and get everything out of the desktop?

More about : control desktop laptop

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
a b G Storage
November 12, 2012 12:05:46 AM

You pull the hdd out of the desktop and use a usb adapter to attach it to the laptop. For what your asking you'd have to install remote connection software on the desktop and that is next to impossible without a monitor.
m
l
November 12, 2012 12:11:31 AM

you'll need an external USB hard disk case to get your files off.

First off, Check which sort of HDD interface it uses: Chances are it is IDE based from 2003!

This kit should have everything you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00G53188

Remove the cables from the HDD and plug it into the laptop using the converter kit ^^. Then copy all your files from the HDD (most things will be in the "Users" folder on the HDD).

If you have a friend which already has an adapter kit you may be able to save yourself some money by borrowing it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
November 12, 2012 12:59:53 AM

Is it just a bad video card or does the system boot up but no video?

As long as it boots up, you should be able to browse to it.
If you remember the computer name, you can try getting to it (hooked up with a wired connection to a router. Start button, then type in \\computername or start a remote desktop connection in Windows.
m
l
Related resources
!