Solved

~$500 Gaming PC

I'm a first-timer, so go easy on me ;)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The sooner the better

BUDGET RANGE: I'd like to stay as close to $500 as possible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, gaming, gaming, sweet screensavers. In that order.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers. I'm not sure if I should include the OS here or not, but I want to put Win 7 64-bit on this build. Is there an advantage to going with the Ultimate edition over Professional?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference really. Probably newegg.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not as of yet. I might make my mind up when it comes time to upgrade this thing :)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: What do you guys think? Better to add another card or to get a new one that's twice as good?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I've got an old 1280x1024 monitor that I'll use until I can afford something better. But 1600x1200 is the lowest I'm willing to go when I do pick up a new monitor.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Being able to easily upgrade this mess is a big priority. I'd rather spend a little more now to smooth the going later. Starcraft 2 and Fallout: NV will be the big games that I'll be playing on this. I'm also a Team Fortress 2 addict, but I'm pretty sure my toaster can run that at 1600x1200.

I'm pretty much just want to build a rig that I can upgrade piecemeal until I can run every game that comes out for the next couple years at maximum settings.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. Best answer
    This is $383AR so +$100 for OS
  2. Man, that was fast. You are like some sort of genius robot :)

One more question for a newbie:
    Would starting out with a more powerful CPU (say a Core i5) be worth it? Or is it better to upgrade GPU and CPU in tandem to avoid bottlenecking?
  3. Nah, batucka always uses that build no offense..
  4. At your budget point i wouldn't even consider an AthlonII X4 as quads aren't even needed for gaming but a GPU with as much teeth for your current resolution meanwhile brings that much more on the table for your games hehe
  5. Well, with that build, I'm still around $70 under my $500 budget. Would throwing that into the build be worth it, or am I unlikely to wring any more value out of so little an investment?
  6. Hmm didn't u need an OS?
  7. batuchka said:
    Hmm didn't u need an OS?

Blarg, you're right. I've been looking at too many builds tonight.
  8. Haha ya so it's within range with OS in ^^
  9. I am olso going to build a ~500$ gaming pc. I have already chose it.So i think it may help you. I have done an amd based pc.it is olso 64 bit windows7 capable.
    1.Processor: Amd phenom ii 555 x2 black edition ~100$
    amd phenom ii 710 x3 ~95$
    amd athlon ii 620 x4 ~87$
    (phenom ii 555 x2 is best for gaming & athlon ii 620 x4 is best for multitasking)
    2.motherboard: msi 785gm-e65 ~75$
    asus m4a785td-m evo ~79$
    ecs 785g ~75$
    gigabyte ga-ma770t-ud3 ~82
    (all are am3 capable)
    3. Memory : Corsair/g.skill 2gb ~45$
    4gb ~85$
    (both are 1333 mhz if you looking for 1600(oc) mhz it will cost little extra but it will be good for oc )
    4. Hard drive: seagate barracuda 250gb ~35$
    5. Gpu: xfx 5750 hd ~145$
    xfx 5770 hd ~160$
    sapphire 5770 hd vaporx ~170$
    (5770 will be better option for little extra)
    6. Powersupply: you need 450 watt or more .there are many kind of product in market. take one which suits you best .
    If you want to xfire in future them buy psu of >750watt.
    7. Dvd drive: sony 24x ~20$ .
    So the budget is ~ 500$ :) :) :)
  10. I seem to be woefully unprepared for this undertaking; any recommendations for a good screwdriver/related tools?
  11. Nah just any philips screw driver would do ^^
  12. Thanks! Hopefully, I'll be able to start putting this mess together Monday night. Wish me luck :)
  13. Best answer selected by pseudofengshui.
  14. Yep happy shopping/building and u are welcomed ^^
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Monitors Systems