470 GTX - Heat and noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moop69

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm looking at changing my case(its crap for airflow), upgrading my video card(8800 GT is getting old) and upgrading my PSU(500W atm). I was going to go with a 5850 but I've heard about compatibility issues with my mobo(Asus P5N-E Sli) that STILL haven't been resolved by Asus, so I was suggested to go with the 470 GTX instead. The only thing I'm worried about is the heat(power consumption as well but I think I can live with it). I'm worried about the 470 GTX getting so hot that it'll kill itself or won't last 3 years. How hot does it get? I'm not doing anything other than air cooling...I don't want to hear about water coolers or liquid nitrogen coolers. I don't like the idea of either of those anywhere near my computer :)

The case I'm looking at is the Antec Three Hundred Illusion. It looks like it has decent airflow(and it doesn't look half bad either).

Also, would the rest of my system bottleneck the card? I have a core 2 duo E6750 at 2.66 GHz(will probably OC it up to 3.3ish) and 4 GB of DDR2 @ 800 Mhz(I don't know the timings).

Finally, how noisy is it? I have roommates so I'd like to keep the sound low so I don't bug them. My 8800 GT has been going to 100% fan speed under load since November(I think the thermal compound died) and it's fairly loud....how does the 470 GTX compare to the 8800 GT in terms of sound?

Moop69

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Alright. Will my system be bottle necking with that memory and processor? Will I be alright with a 650W PSU(Corsair)? Will that 650W hold up an i5 750, 4 GB DDR3 and the 470 GTX?(I'm looking at the 470 GTX as a partial upgrade and I want the PSU to be able to hold it all up if I upgrade the rest of the system afterwards).

You should more than good to go with that PSU, just a simple plug and play although you may need to reinstall the driver if you are using the latest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.