upgrading a Tosh Tecra 8100

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 3, 2004 3:28:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired a
Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was intruiged to see
if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster and larger storage
space. So what do I do I gets in touch with Toshiba Technical Support
Department in the UK - after all I would like proper information straight
from the horses mouth so to speak.

I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile processor I
can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.

I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical department
which I am including in this post (they did not include the standard 'this
email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla etc' so I think it will
be OK to put it up here).

I am amazed because you would think you could get a proper answer back from
a technical department of a company of this kind with some proper
information about the products they sell / have sold in the past.

---------------------------------

Anyway here is the email they sent back:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email

We at Toshiba only ever test our laptops with the hard drive they are
supplied with. So, in answer to your question, we don't know what is the
maximum size hard drive your laptop will accept. Because we have never
tested it with anything bigger it is not something we recommend. However,
that is not to say you cannot upgrade your hard drive, only that if it did
cause any problems with your hardware we would not be in a position to
support it.

The same also goes for processors, becuase we've never tested our euipment
with anything faster than the processor it is supplied with we do not know
whether it will work or not.

Regards

Customer Contact Centre
Computer Systems Division
Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Limited

---
December 3, 2004 4:48:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Sounds like you 'amaze' really easily. The reply is what I would expect.
They test the unit with the processor and hard drive it was designed with.
Terry

"Andy" <andy@gofree.ie> wrote in message
> Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired a
> Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was intruiged to
> see
> if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster and larger storage
> space. So what do I do I gets in touch with Toshiba Technical Support
> Department in the UK - after all I would like proper information straight
> from the horses mouth so to speak.
>
> I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile processor I
> can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.
>
> I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical department
> which I am including in this post (they did not include the standard 'this
> email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla etc' so I think it will
> be OK to put it up here).
>
> I am amazed because you would think you could get a proper answer back
> from
> a technical department of a company of this kind with some proper
> information about the products they sell / have sold in the past.

> ---------------------------------
>
> Anyway here is the email they sent back:
>
> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you for your email
>
> We at Toshiba only ever test our laptops with the hard drive they are
> supplied with. So, in answer to your question, we don't know what is the
> maximum size hard drive your laptop will accept. Because we have never
> tested it with anything bigger it is not something we recommend. However,
> that is not to say you cannot upgrade your hard drive, only that if it did
> cause any problems with your hardware we would not be in a position to
> support it.
>
> The same also goes for processors, becuase we've never tested our euipment
> with anything faster than the processor it is supplied with we do not know
> whether it will work or not.
>
> Regards
>
> Customer Contact Centre
> Computer Systems Division
> Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Limited
>

> ---

December 3, 2004 5:37:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Oh, OK then. Is this what most companies are like then they dont know about
the future upgrade possibilities of the products they are selling? - fine!

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like you 'amaze' really easily. The reply is what I would expect.
> They test the unit with the processor and hard drive it was designed with.
> Terry
>
> "Andy" <andy@gofree.ie> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired a
> > Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was intruiged to
> > see
> > if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster and larger storage
> > space. So what do I do I gets in touch with Toshiba Technical Support
> > Department in the UK - after all I would like proper information
straight
> > from the horses mouth so to speak.
> >
> > I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile processor
> > can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.
> >
> > I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical
department
> > which I am including in this post (they did not include the standard
'this
> > email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla etc' so I think it
will
> > be OK to put it up here).
> >
> > I am amazed because you would think you could get a proper answer back
> > from
> > a technical department of a company of this kind with some proper
> > information about the products they sell / have sold in the past.

> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > Anyway here is the email they sent back:
> >
> > Dear Sir
> >
> > Thank you for your email
> >
> > We at Toshiba only ever test our laptops with the hard drive they are
> > supplied with. So, in answer to your question, we don't know what is
the
> > maximum size hard drive your laptop will accept. Because we have never
> > tested it with anything bigger it is not something we recommend.
However,
> > that is not to say you cannot upgrade your hard drive, only that if it
did
> > cause any problems with your hardware we would not be in a position to
> > support it.
> >
> > The same also goes for processors, becuase we've never tested our
euipment
> > with anything faster than the processor it is supplied with we do not
know
> > whether it will work or not.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Customer Contact Centre
> > Computer Systems Division
> > Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Limited
> >

> > ---

---
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 5:52:49 AM

Andy wrote:
> Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired
> a Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was
> intruiged to see if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster
> and larger storage space. So what do I do I gets in touch with
> Toshiba Technical Support Department in the UK - after all I would
> like proper information straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
>
> I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile
> processor I can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.

As the model Tecra 8100 was sold with a p3 mobile 800 - i assume that
this is the fastest processor you can install in this machine. Anything
more might not work cause of the thermal design. My 8100 already gets
rather hot with a PIII 600. But be aware - updating processors in a
laptop is much more difficult than on a desktop.

Regarding the harddisk - i know some online retailers of used laptops
that offer an optional upgrade of the harddisk sold with the used tecra
8100 up to 60 GB. So any current harddisk model up to this size should
work. With the newer sizes of 80 or 100 GB - i don't know.

> I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical
> department which I am including in this post (they did not include
> the standard 'this email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla
> etc' so I think it will be OK to put it up here).

I wouldn't expect anything more - a quick web search might also give
some answers :-)

Andreas
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 12:27:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.
"Andy" <andy@gofree.ie> wrote in message
> Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired a
> Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was intruiged to
see
> if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster and larger storage
> space. So what do I do I gets in touch with Toshiba Technical Support
> Department in the UK - after all I would like proper information straight
> from the horses mouth so to speak.
>
> I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile processor I
> can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.
>
> I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical department
> which I am including in this post (they did not include the standard 'this
> email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla etc' so I think it will
> be OK to put it up here).
>
> I am amazed because you would think you could get a proper answer back
from
> a technical department of a company of this kind with some proper
> information about the products they sell / have sold in the past.

> ---------------------------------
>
> Anyway here is the email they sent back:
>
> Dear Sir
>
> Thank you for your email
>
> We at Toshiba only ever test our laptops with the hard drive they are
> supplied with. So, in answer to your question, we don't know what is the
> maximum size hard drive your laptop will accept. Because we have never
> tested it with anything bigger it is not something we recommend. However,
> that is not to say you cannot upgrade your hard drive, only that if it did
> cause any problems with your hardware we would not be in a position to
> support it.
>
> The same also goes for processors, becuase we've never tested our euipment
> with anything faster than the processor it is supplied with we do not know
> whether it will work or not.
>
> Regards
>
> Customer Contact Centre
> Computer Systems Division
> Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Limited

When the cost of an "upgrade" is more than the cost of the laptop, you know
it's time to look at a new laptop. The Tecra 8100 had if I recall correctly,
a Pentium 3 500 or 650mhz processor and a 12gig HD.

I have one running very well on XP (with 256mb Ram), and wouldn't even think
about upgrading, since I work on the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it".

I also have the latest Tosh A60 with Centrino set-up and 512mb Ram. It's
faster than the old Tecra, but not that much that it's worth paying four
times as much for the privelege! I could, if I wanted, load it with up to 80
gig of software etc., but like the Tecra, the 3-4gig I have loaded will keep
me very happy for the next couple of years!

> ---

---
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 2:13:07 PM

Andy wrote:
> Oh, OK then. Is this what most companies are like then they dont know
> about the future upgrade possibilities of the products they are
> selling? - fine!

They're not interested in the future upgrade possibilities. They are
interested in selling new laptops.

Manufacturers could do infinitely more to protect our fairly major
investment in these machines, while at the same time reducing the amount of
garbage which goes into our landfill.

I have an old Thinkpad with a great 12" lcd. The computer became too
unreliable to use, but the lcd would look good in a different machine...IF
there was another machine in which it fit, and IF IBM had taken some care in
building both machines in order to make them easily interchangable.

It's great that you can upgrade 'some' parts of laptops these days, but
that's only a function of a limited number of sources for the raw
components. They 'could' fairly easily be made as upgradable as
destops--nearly so, anyway--but it's not in the companys best interests to
do so.

jajk

> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Sounds like you 'amaze' really easily. The reply is what I would
>> expect. They test the unit with the processor and hard drive it was
>> designed with. Terry
>>
>> "Andy" <andy@gofree.ie> wrote in message
>>> Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have
>>> aquired a Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I
>>> was intruiged to see
>>> if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster and larger
>>> storage space. So what do I do I gets in touch with Toshiba
>>> Technical Support Department in the UK - after all I would like
>>> proper information straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
>>>
>>> I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile
>>> processor I can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can
>>> add.
>>>
>>> I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical
>>> department which I am including in this post (they did not include
>>> the standard 'this email is intended soley for the receipiant bla
>>> bla etc' so I think it will be OK to put it up here).
>>>
>>> I am amazed because you would think you could get a proper answer
>>> back from
>>> a technical department of a company of this kind with some proper
>>> information about the products they sell / have sold in the past.

-
>>> ---------------------------------
>>>
>>> Anyway here is the email they sent back:
>>>
>>> Dear Sir
>>>
>>> Thank you for your email
>>>
>>> We at Toshiba only ever test our laptops with the hard drive they
>>> are supplied with. So, in answer to your question, we don't know
>>> what is the maximum size hard drive your laptop will accept.
>>> Because we have never tested it with anything bigger it is not
>>> something we recommend. However, that is not to say you cannot
>>> upgrade your hard drive, only that if it did cause any problems
>>> with your hardware we would not be in a position to support it.
>>>
>>> The same also goes for processors, becuase we've never tested our
>>> euipment with anything faster than the processor it is supplied
>>> with we do not know whether it will work or not.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Customer Contact Centre
>>> Computer Systems Division
>>> Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Limited
>>>

>>> ---
>>>

> ---
a b D Laptop
December 3, 2004 5:13:14 PM

"Andy" <andy@gofree.ie> wrote in news:31a1q8F39julpU1@individual.net:

> Oh, OK then. Is this what most companies are like then they dont know
> about the future upgrade possibilities of the products they are
> selling? - fine!

laptops are not really meant to be upgraded beyond RAM and Hard Drive.
December 3, 2004 5:49:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks Andreas that was informative.

Wow, I certainly wouldnt mind upgrading my processor to 800Mhz and putting a
60Gb in it that would be cool :-)

I reckon I should be able to bung 512MB of RAM in it as well :-)

I must do some web searches one day when I have 3 weeks to spare some time!
;-)

cheers,

"Andreas Schulze-Bäing" <mibmab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
> > Hi all. I felt I had to write and share this with you. I have aquired
> > a Toshiba TECRA 8100 Laptop. A nice little machine but I was
> > intruiged to see if I could upgrade it a bit to make it a bit faster
> > and larger storage space. So what do I do I gets in touch with
> > Toshiba Technical Support Department in the UK - after all I would
> > like proper information straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
> >
> > I asks them 2 simple questions. What is the largest p3 mobile
> > processor I can add and what is the largest Hard Disk Drive I can add.
> >

> As the model Tecra 8100 was sold with a p3 mobile 800 - i assume that
> this is the fastest processor you can install in this machine. Anything
> more might not work cause of the thermal design. My 8100 already gets
> rather hot with a PIII 600. But be aware - updating processors in a
> laptop is much more difficult than on a desktop.
>
> Regarding the harddisk - i know some online retailers of used laptops
> that offer an optional upgrade of the harddisk sold with the used tecra
> 8100 up to 60 GB. So any current harddisk model up to this size should
> work. With the newer sizes of 80 or 100 GB - i don't know.
>
> > I was amazed to get back the following email from the technical
> > department which I am including in this post (they did not include
> > the standard 'this email is intended soley for the receipiant bla bla
> > etc' so I think it will be OK to put it up here).
>
> I wouldn't expect anything more - a quick web search might also give
> some answers :-)
>
> Andreas

---
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 4:09:57 AM

jakdedert wrote:
> It's great that you can upgrade 'some' parts of laptops these days,
> but that's only a function of a limited number of sources for the raw
> components. They 'could' fairly easily be made as upgradable as
> destops--nearly so, anyway--but it's not in the companys best
> interests to do so.

To be fair i should mention that the Tecra series from Toshiba just like
many other business laptop series from other brands contains many
modular components that can be used in a variety of models - even years
later. Furthermore you still get a decent support with drivers and parts
like new batteries from Toshiba.
Anyway in that respect it's much better than the support and
upgradability that you get with some cheapy noname brands for 600
pounds.

Andreas
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 4:21:43 AM

Andy wrote:
> Thanks Andreas that was informative.
>
> Wow, I certainly wouldnt mind upgrading my processor to 800Mhz and
> putting a 60Gb in it that would be cool :-)

You might find it difficult to find the right processor - and no
guarantee that you can install it. And you should not expect that much
of a speed rise. For most every day uses such as office, browsing or
email the 600 Mhz System is sufficient. Don't expect a speed increase of
1/3, as you might calculate from the pure Mhz increase. The processor
speed is just one factor amongst others. For the minority of the real
number crunching applications you need a processor of a much faster
class - say a Pentium M 1,7 or 2 GHz.

A current harddisk of 40 or 60 GB tends to be a bit faster than the old
6.4 or 10 GB models built in the original Tecra 8100. So you might get
more speed there with some applications.

> I reckon I should be able to bung 512MB of RAM in it as well :-)

If i would choose between updating the processor or putting in more RAM
i would always go for the RAM - especially with Windows XP. A fast
processor does not help at all when the system starts swapping on the
harddisk.

Andreas
December 4, 2004 4:25:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> A current harddisk of 40 or 60 GB tends to be a bit faster than the old
> 6.4 or 10 GB models built in the original Tecra 8100. So you might get
> more speed there with some applications.

Thats a point there, you know on laptops the HD's used to be 5200rpm and now
there are 7200rpm was/is there any change with the laptop HD's or do they
all run at 4200rpm or whatever it is? - and what about Ultra DMA for
laptops?

I have many a time seen a difference in speed in a Desktop PC that has had a
5200 taken out and replaced with a 7200rpm.

> Andy wrote:
> > Thanks Andreas that was informative.
> >
> > Wow, I certainly wouldnt mind upgrading my processor to 800Mhz and
> > putting a 60Gb in it that would be cool :-)
> >

> You might find it difficult to find the right processor - and no
> guarantee that you can install it. And you should not expect that much
> of a speed rise. For most every day uses such as office, browsing or
> email the 600 Mhz System is sufficient. Don't expect a speed increase of
> 1/3, as you might calculate from the pure Mhz increase. The processor
> speed is just one factor amongst others. For the minority of the real
> number crunching applications you need a processor of a much faster
> class - say a Pentium M 1,7 or 2 GHz.
>
> A current harddisk of 40 or 60 GB tends to be a bit faster than the old
> 6.4 or 10 GB models built in the original Tecra 8100. So you might get
> more speed there with some applications.
>
> > I reckon I should be able to bung 512MB of RAM in it as well :-)
>
> If i would choose between updating the processor or putting in more RAM
> i would always go for the RAM - especially with Windows XP. A fast
> processor does not help at all when the system starts swapping on the
> harddisk.
>
> Andreas

---
a b D Laptop
December 4, 2004 3:02:35 PM

Andy wrote:
>> A current harddisk of 40 or 60 GB tends to be a bit faster than the
>> old
>> 6.4 or 10 GB models built in the original Tecra 8100. So you might
>> get more speed there with some applications.
>
> Thats a point there, you know on laptops the HD's used to be 5200rpm
> and now there are 7200rpm was/is there any change with the laptop
> HD's or do they all run at 4200rpm or whatever it is? - and what
> about Ultra DMA for laptops?
>
> I have many a time seen a difference in speed in a Desktop PC that
> has had a 5200 taken out and replaced with a 7200rpm.

First i recommend the following link...

You can get 5400 and 7200 rpm as well in 2.5" format. In fact the 2.5"
size might as well be used increasingly in the desktop-market, if you
consider the success of the small-scale barebone computers. Seagate
recently announced the 2.5" Sawio line with 10000 rpm. Yet this model is
not to be used in a notebook
:-)

The power consumption of a typical harddisk for notebooks today is about
0.5 up to 1 Watt in idle mode and 2.1 to 2.6 Watt in seek mode.
source: http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/1233/index.html
This is the still in the same range as that of some harddisks originally
used in the Tecra 8100.

Andreas
December 4, 2004 6:01:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> When the cost of an "upgrade" is more than the cost of the laptop, you
know
> it's time to look at a new laptop. The Tecra 8100 had if I recall
correctly,
> a Pentium 3 500 or 650mhz processor and a 12gig HD.`

I would most probably get a cheap P3 processor off ebay (if i didnt end up
with a duff one) so that would not end up more than the cost of a new
laptop. I have also had my TECRA8100 apart and put it back succesfully and
took off the Cooling Fan Assembly and there I saw the P3 Chip in all its
glory. One turn of a screw and the processor lifted out easily - so it would
not be an issue about replacing it myself, but yes if it was working fine
and I buggered it up by replacing the processor when it didnt need one then
indeed I would be crying into my Pint!

"Dennis Pogson" <dennisnospam_pogson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> [...]
know
> it's time to look at a new laptop. The Tecra 8100 had if I recall
correctly,
> a Pentium 3 500 or 650mhz processor and a 12gig HD.
>
> I have one running very well on XP (with 256mb Ram), and wouldn't even
think
> about upgrading, since I work on the principle of "if it ain't broke,
don't
> fix it".
>
> I also have the latest Tosh A60 with Centrino set-up and 512mb Ram. It's
> faster than the old Tecra, but not that much that it's worth paying four
> times as much for the privelege! I could, if I wanted, load it with up to
80
> gig of software etc., but like the Tecra, the 3-4gig I have loaded will
keep
> me very happy for the next couple of years!

---