themidnightrider13

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Screen turns a dark white and static emits from speakers.

I believe it is my GPU. A nvidia 9600 gso (two years old), the only part i reused when i built my new system 4 months ago.

Started happening about 2 months aGO so I strapped an extra fan to the gpu and everything ran great for two months. Now the same thing is happening again. I get random postcodes after the crash. I've had 1, 2, 02, 5, 05 IDK WTF?

Is there a way to test a GPU stability?

I'm running it with an i7-875k and 4 gigs of corsair xms 1600. (nothing over clocked. so ram is actually running lower at 1333 the bios default for the cpu) Love to give more info , but cpu liable crash any minute again now...lol. Thanx for any input.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It is likely the GPU but could also be a PSU problem. A dodgy PSU can kill a GPU very quickly so it would pay to test that out as well in case it kills a replacement GPU. Your BIOS may have the ability to tell you the voltages being put out by the PSU. Check if this is the case. Otherwise I would go to a Tech Shop and have them both tested.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Post your power supply info. If it's a no-name brand, or close to your wattage requirements, than you ought to replace it regardless of whether or not it is causing your current problems.

themidnightrider13

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
untitled.jpg

Here is my system.
My psu is a thermaltake blackwidow 550w