Sign in with
Your question

How would I know if I damaged my gpu vrms?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 8, 2010 7:21:31 PM

So, being the total idiot that I am, I fell asleep while OCCT gpu was running.
6 hours later I woke up and turned it off, and checked afterburner to see my GPU had been running at NINETY FIVE DEGREES CELSIUS!

Which I know is under the threshold for my GPU (Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X)
This happened about a week and a half ago, and I've put a good 60 hours into games since then, with no stability issues, no odd sounds coming from PC, no freezing, performance issues, etc.
But it still has me worried.
I think I've established that the VRM's aren't damaged, but I'm worried now that I either minorly damaged them and they are wearing, or I significantly decreased the lifespan of the VRM's themselves.

I'm not sure if the vapor-x card has vrm cooling on it. I assume it does, but I still am not sure.
What I want to know though, is if the VRM's were above their threshold for 6 hours, I would've damaged them for sure, right?

Argh :( 
I would check the VRM temps but it is a non reference card so I cannot check the VRM temps :( 

More about : damaged gpu vrms

July 8, 2010 7:34:11 PM

They will use SOlid Capacitors, with a 50000hrs life spam, yes u might a knocked a few dozn hours off it life, but it will still vastly out live any possible usefullness
m
l
a c 1429 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:22:47 PM

You would know if you damaged the card! It was working within the thermal limit so it should be fine.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 2:54:03 AM

So, did you checked it with some games? If it working normal then don't worry about that... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 4:36:08 AM

If games are running fine I wouldn't worry, the Vapor-X is a top-notch GPU, very high quality.
Just keep an eye on it for a week, if nothing happens I think it's safe.
m
l
July 9, 2010 12:21:36 PM

wa1 said:
So, did you checked it with some games? If it working normal then don't worry about that... :) 

Yeah, I've put around 60ish hours into games since doing this, and I've had no crashes or freezes, or any general system instability.

I'm pretty sure the VRM's are fine, but I think I got off REALLY lucky.
m
l
!