Sign in with
Your question

Four Lian Li cases. Which ones the best?

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2010 10:34:22 PM

I'm looking for a decent case to buy. I've looked around a lot and have narrowed my search to the 4 cases below.

What I'm looking for in a case:

* Accepts long graphics cards (I have a BFG 9800GTX+ OC).
* Can take decent amount of hard drives, which are easy to install/remove.
* Runs cool (and preferably quiet.) I won't be water-cooling.
* Power Supply Unit is at the top of case. PSU at the bottom of the case is a bad idea. That's my experience and opinion. (see this)
* Future proof, since I don't think I will be replacing it again in a good decade or so! lol!
* Not too costly (relatively speaking for a decent case.)

I use my PC for gaming mostly. I don't overclock, but am planning to do so in moderate amounts in future. I already have a Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU cooler.

My room is quite dusty (can't help it), so need a case that will not get dusty very quickly.

My current case that I've been using for years is Aplus XClio II. LOL! yeh I know, very old. It gets very dusty in a couple of weeks, mainly due to the very large fan (I don't have dust protectors.) Also, my side-door wasn't closing properly since the internal side-fan of case was touching the cpu Zalman cooler. Sometimes I would squeeze the door in but often just leave it on side with a gap, which explains the dust.

I had a very hard time removing and installing a new hard drive I bought the other day. Had to remove the whole graphics card before I could take drives out because the graphics was almost touching the drives.

Hence I want a case that will fix all these problems.

So, which ones the best...?

Lian Li PC-A17A / PC-A17B
(Price: £64.08)

Lian Li PC-8NWX
(Price: £126.83)

Lian Li PC-A77
(Price: £189.99)

Lian Li PC-B70
(Price: £212.9)

More about : lian cases

October 26, 2010 1:33:53 AM

all of lian li cases are excellent but for ya specifications i would pick the PC-A17A / PC-A17B it will house all the larger cards has enough bays for HDD's and easy access it also has ample amount of fans for cooling if ya plan to overclock here and there when ya need it and if ya decided to go water cooling it already has the cutouts and no need to modify it plus its cheap...my opinion anyways or would be my pick
October 26, 2010 3:50:56 AM

PC-A17A is very good but it comes with only one front fan. Need to purchase extra ones. I don't know if I can attach standard 120mm fans to the mounting rack. And yeh, lots of room for drives, which can be taken out from the front easily.

PC-8NWX has a nice paint finish on the inside. Drive bay is rotated 90 degrees which will make drive installation easy too.

PC-8NWX has bigger dimensions than PC-A17A though, which is what I like. I like a roomy case, as long it's not too big or over the top.

Lian Li PC-A77 is full tower. It's like the bigger brother of PC-A17A with more fans and more drives. Can place power supply at top or bottom (or both.) Can also move the drive cage around to bottom if you mounted PSU at top. Doesn't have space for a top mounted fan though unless you mod or buy an optional top cover but you can add extra fans in the front though.

Lian Li PC-B70 is also a full tower and this ones like the big brother of PC-8NWX. Nice rack of drives which are rotated 90 degrees for easier installation. Power supply can once again be mounted at top or bottom (or both.) And no space for fan at top but can mount them in front, once again.

I can't make my mind up. All of them have good features relative to their prices. I'm not sure if the full towers are worth that much money though.
Related resources
October 26, 2010 4:04:24 AM

conquerz said:
PC-A17A is very good but it comes with only one front fan. Need to purchase extra ones. I don't know if I can attach standard 120mm fans to the mounting rack. It also has a space for a fan on top too. And yeh, lots of room for drives, which can be taken out from the front easily.

PC-8NWX has a nice paint finish on the inside. Drive bay is rotated 90 degrees which will make drive installation easy too.

Lian Li PC-A77 is full tower. It's like the bigger brother of PC-A17A with more fans and more drives. Can place power supply at top or bottom (or both.) Can also move the drive cage around to bottom if you mounted PSU at top. Doesn't have space for a top mounted fan though unless you mod or buy an optional top cover but you can add extra fans in the front though.

Lian Li PC-B70 is also a full tower and this ones like the big brother of PC-8NWX. Nice rack of drives which are rotated 90 degrees for easier installation. Power supply can once again be mounted at top or bottom (or both.) And no space for fan at top but can mount them in front, once again.

I can't make my mind up. All of them have good features relative to their prices. I'm not sure if the full towers are worth that much money though.

well i suggested the first one cause ya then can pick the fans with great cfm and low noice ratio its what i did with my case i have 7 total in all and i overclocked my q8300 (which will be upgraded to the 9650 wednesday) to 3.38ghz and only got the highest temp of 58c with a stock cooler on occt test but i can see ya point so many options with each that make them great but if my budget would allow me i would like to get the pc-a77 that one just stands out to me the most
October 26, 2010 4:55:01 AM

Thanks for the input on your mod and config. Yes you are right about the budget lol. Those full towers are too much for me too. If they were worth the extra cost and would do me good in the long run, I would compromise and get one of those. But I'm not seeing too much benefits compared to the mid towers.

I actually like the PC-8NWX too. I like the anodized finish all over. It has a window on side-door, rotated drives, lot of other smaller extras. It's an inch or two bigger too:

Lian Li PC-A17A
Dimensions: 215mm x 440mm x 490mm (WxHxD)
Graphics card space: 270mm

Lian-Li PC-8NWX
Dimensions: 266mm x 505mm x 568mm (WxHxD)
Graphics card space: 290mm

PC-A17A actually does come with a 140mm Exhaust fan on top cover. So that's good.

But if the PC-8NWX is a bit too much in comparison to PC-A17A, then what about this one:

Lian Li PC-8NB
(Price: £82.23)

Dimensions: 210mm x 450mm x 490mm (WxHxD)

It's a cheaper version of the PC-8NWX with same dimensions. No fan space on top though and no usb 3.0 etc.. But it's £82.23 (£20 more than the PC-A17A).

So how does PC-8NB compare with PC-A17A?

My favourites is PC-A17A at the moment. Only thing is that, although the front looks nice, it's a bit too open in the front for the dust to get in and drive bay isn't turned.

Whereas the PC-8NWX is a little bit bigger (more roomy and therefore cooler). I can add an optional fan at top of it where the space is provided.... but it costs double!! Not sure if that's worth it though.
October 26, 2010 5:05:03 AM

conquerz said:
Thanks for the input on your mod and config. Yes you are right about the budget lol. Those full towers are too much for me too. If they were worth the extra cost and would do me good in the long run, I would compromise and get one of those. But I'm not seeing too much benefits compared to the mid towers.

I actually like the PC-8NWX too. I like the anodized finish all over. It has a window on side-door, rotated drives, lot of other smaller extras. It's an inch or two bigger too:

Lian Li PC-A17A
Dimensions: 215mm x 440mm x 490mm (WxHxD)
Graphics card space: 270mm

Lian-Li PC-8NWX
Dimensions: 266mm x 505mm x 568mm (WxHxD)

PC-A17A actually does come with a 140mm Exhaust fan on top cover. So that's good.

But if the PC-8NWX is a bit too much in comparison to PC-A17A, then what about this one:

Lian Li PC-8NB
(Price: £82.23)

http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/pc-8n/pc-8n-20s.jpg http://lian-li.com/v2/tw/product/upload/image/pc-8n/pc-8n-04s.jpg

Dimensions: 210mm x 450mm x 490mm (WxHxD)

It's a cheaper version of the PC-8NWX with same dimensions. No fan space on top though and no usb 3.0 etc.. But it's £82.23 (£20 more than the PC-A17A).

So how does PC-8NB compare with PC-A17A?

My favourites is PC-A17A at the moment.

same here my favorite is leaning more towards the PC-A17A cause from what i see the PC-8NB doesnt support that many fans specially when ya said ya place is dusty and i can relate with my 7 fans i only have to clean mine out once a month maybe 3 at most and its usually minimum then, it's lacking future use unless ya want to add a 3.0 usb in the back for later use make more wires clutter but on the upside is will house all the newer graphics cards but if ya run sli/xfire to me it would seem like a heat issue will come up specially overclocking here and there
October 26, 2010 5:15:06 AM

I'm gona decide which one I want from PC-A17A and PC-8NWX tomorrow. I'll sleep over it tonight! :sleep:  :lol: 

Thanks for the input.
October 26, 2010 5:17:14 AM

LOL as ya wish im sure ya will be happy with which ever ya choose and goodluck
October 26, 2010 4:04:35 PM

Got a couple of questions xaigeta.

1) How many hdd can the A17A take? In spec it says only 3 (using the 5.25" bays). But can you add more hdd to the other empty 5.25 bays too?

2) Which direction do the drives come out of? towards the front of case of towards the back?

3) Can you add a 3.5" floppy drive? (not that I need it, but I might need some kind of 3.5" "drive")

4) A17A case came out in 2008 but 8NWX came out in april 2010. Newer means better right? lol So why would I still want to go for the old A17A (btw I can only find three A17A cases selling right now in the whole of UK lol!) but it has become quite cheap cos of its age.

So, is it still worth it compared to the Lian Li PC-8NWX? I don't care too much about the looks. I am interested in better and/or more features.

Thanks.
October 27, 2010 3:44:21 AM

conquerz said:
Got a couple of questions xaigeta.

1) How many hdd can the A17A take? In spec it says only 3 (using the 5.25" bays). But can you add more hdd to the other empty 5.25 bays too?

2) Which direction do the drives come out of? towards the front of case of towards the back?

3) Can you add a 3.5" floppy drive? (not that I need it, but I might need some kind of 3.5" "drive")

4) A17A case came out in 2008 but 8NWX came out in april 2010. Newer means better right? lol So why would I still want to go for the old A17A (btw I can only find three A17A cases selling right now in the whole of UK lol!) but it has become quite cheap cos of its age.

So, is it still worth it compared to the Lian Li PC-8NWX? I don't care too much about the looks. I am interested in better and/or more features.

Thanks.

well thats what i did with my case i added the extra HDD's to the 5.25 and i actually used the 3.5 as a 80mm fan prop lol if i need to put anythin there i usually just lower one side of my case plug it in and once im done take it off so it doesnt draw in more power(little to none anyways) and faster boot when i disable it from the bios i also d my dvd burner that way since i only use it to install games i buy with cd's and usually yea new is sometimes better so it seems like the best choice is the 8NWX cause it doesnt have much more features it does have 4 5.25's 1 external 3.5 and 3 internal 3.5's but if ya need more sapce than that then the next option is the a77 since it has even more space oh and i believe the a17a's bays come out the back through the case but compared to the 9 actual 5.25 bays the a17a has
October 27, 2010 3:47:02 AM

Oh I just found another one I like:

PC-A70FB
(Price: £158.24)

Dimensions: 220 x 590 x 585 (WxHxD)
Graphics card space: 390mm

It has lot of space, plenty of drive space, power supply top or bottom, and many other features which the PC-A77 or the PC-B70, but it's a bit cheaper. Is this worth the extra cost compared to PC-A17A?

As I said, I am not too fussed about looks. I am interested in features. But I also don't want an expensive case but a moderate case with good value for money.
October 27, 2010 3:48:48 AM

damn now thats a case that one looks perfect and decent price too 5 HDD's for a nice raid array set-up for future use hell of alot of 3.5 bays good anmount of starter fans lots of gfx space...yea all i can say is that would be my choice
October 27, 2010 3:56:27 AM

xaigeta said:
damn now thats a case that one looks perfect and decent price too 5 HDD's for a nice raid array set-up for future use hell of alot of 3.5 bays good anmount of starter fans lots of gfx space...yea all i can say is that would be my choice

:lol: 

Thanks. That's all I needed to hear. I have found my case. :D 

Have a nice day.
October 27, 2010 3:58:07 AM

lol yw and hope ya enjoy it then :D 
October 27, 2010 4:19:07 AM

xaigeta said:
lol yw and hope ya enjoy it then :D 

Yh thanks. Today I woke up after sleeping over the dilemma of choosing A17A or 8NWX. I had made up my mind that it was going to be the A17A. 8NWX was my second choice....

But then after digging up more cases from the full tower section, I found the A70FB which had everything I needed and was priced midway between low-end and high-end cases.

I rest my case.

Thanks for the "one-man" discussion, xaigeta.

Good night. :hello: 

:sleep: 
October 27, 2010 9:06:38 AM

lol np glad to offer my opinion to ya and i do that too then we end up finding exactly what we want/need and go with it and usually 95% happy with what we get other 5% is the tweaks/mods ya want to adjust to make it even better, anyways enjoy ya new case and im gonna enjoy my new parts that came in lol
October 28, 2010 2:34:38 AM

new topic.
October 29, 2010 1:56:28 AM

eh?
October 29, 2010 2:43:49 AM

xaigeta said:
eh?

Sorry xaigeta. I replied to this topic yesterday where I asked a question but got no response. So I thought maybe this discussion was getting a bit too old or repetitive. I needed to know the answer quickly because I really needed to get the case fast.

Basically, what I said was that after measuring the space in my room, I found out that I could not fit the full tower that I wanted. So I am forced to go with the mid towers that I was interested in i.e. the PC-A17A or the PC-8NWX. I asked a question about the drive cage but no one replied so I deleted the post and started a new topic (hence my last comment above.)

Here's what I asked:

Lian Li PC-A17A - drive cage can be removed from the front?

edit:

Nevermind. I have found the answer I was looking for (see that topic).

...and I have ordered the A17A case. :) 

I rest my case. lol
!