Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 will it make a differance ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 7:41:50 PM

So what do people think, will this card mark the start of Nvidia being competitive again or will it just be another so so but expensive card from the green team ?
With games being stagnant and not demanding more of our hardware we need some competition in the industry to drive improvements and innovations.
I have seen some slides that show the price and performance but im not holding my breath as these things can easily be photo shopped. For what its worth they put the card around teh 5830 performance wise while being cheaper. time will tell i guess.
Fanboys need not reply :kaola: 

Mactronix
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 7:47:33 PM

Eh I think it'll do ok. I mean, Nvidia did a fair job putting their 470 between the 5850 and 5870 in terms of price and performance, and same with their 480 over the 5870. Of course, they're architecture isn't quite as good, what with the heat and power, but that's not always a problem.
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 7:50:18 PM

That depends. I expect the 460 to walk all over the 5770, but AMD/ATI can sell the 5770 alot cheaper than NVIDIA can afford to sell the 460. If the 460, at least the 1GB version, can consistently preform between the 5850 and the 5830 then nVidia can get some DX11 market share. If performance sits between the 5770 and 5830 though, then it probably won't change anything other than a slight lowering of 5770 prices so AMD can undercut them.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:03:40 PM

To be honest im only looking at it as it seems ATI are in full business mode at the minuite. Hard to blame them, its all about making money after all. However my business is about getting the best i can for my money.
Ati offer me nothing new that i want or need and i have seen reviews specifically looking at PhysX recently and it seems these newer cards can manage it with a single card and keep playable FPS. I dont care for Eyefinity and having the fastest card isnt the end all these days either, as i said games just dont call for it anymore.
So as ATI are playing the "our cards are best so we will charge what we can for them" game, and offer me nothing else i care for then i may as well try out something differant for a change.
I dont need to upgrade yet and still may wait for Southern Islands if the 460 is over priced.

Mactronix
Anonymous
July 8, 2010 9:09:48 PM

Hmm 460 is not going to be a dealbreaker for dx11 performance,, really if you want bang performance in dx11 480 is the way to go..

What may come about though is performance for a good price in sli.. lets see what 460sli can do and at what price!

Personally ATI can be happy they have had the Mid range tied up for so long, a little competition in this area is just what us consumers need, so come on NV get it on!
July 8, 2010 9:15:04 PM

You will likely find, for price and performance it will go something very close to this.

260 > 5770 > 460 > 5830 > 465 > 5850 > 470 > 5870 > 480 > 5970

We know this is how it is at the moment, exept the placement of the GTX460. We assume it will be slower than the GTX465, and I cant see it being slower than the 5770
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:24:13 PM

The 460 should be right on par with the 5830 give or take, NV says that it can achieve 470 speeds with a hefty OC. If this is true then it should be a good card at 250.00$ (1Gb version). We should have the benchies/temps/power-draw info in a few days.

The 465 will eventually go EOL and the 5830 will have to come down in price unless the 460 comes out to be a dud which I doubt.
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:29:18 PM

Not a bad guess I would say. I'm looking at Mid range, don't need anymore than that. I'm running a 4 series card now and just don't see the obvious upgrade ??? the 5770 as a viable alternative.
I mean they must have been targeting those with a single PCIE connector and mid range needs with this card yet its so close to the 4 series in performance that its, to me at least just not worth its price.
I have upgraded my monitor and PSU a while back so the likely 2 X 6 pin needs of the card are no longer an issue.
So basically its all down to performance at the correct price now. If it sits where you have put it price wise as well then it will be a very tempting upgrade to someone in my position.
But I'm guessing it will be somewhat more expensive. Nvidia could make a real dent here if they can manage to price it right. Something they know very little about unfortunately.

Mactronix
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:36:19 PM

Just did a bit of window shopping and it seems that most nvidia cards are priced one rung above thier performance level :(  So that means it will most likley be slightly slower than a 5830 but priced level with a 5850. :pfff: 
Where do Nvidia get thier pricing from :??: 
Still you never know they might get it right this time :sarcastic: 

Mactronix
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:42:39 PM

mactronix said:
Just did a bit of window shopping and it seems that most nvidia cards are priced one rung above thier performance level :(  So that means it will most likley be slightly slower than a 5830 but priced level with a 5850. :pfff: 
Where do Nvidia get thier pricing from :??: 
Still you never know they might get it right this time :sarcastic: 

Mactronix

I don't know about that, the 470 at least is priced in between 5850 and 5870 at about $350 - although, it's performance seems to usually be closer to 5850's side of things. The 480 tho seems a bit overpriced to me at $500 when a 5870 is $400.
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 9:45:44 PM

Im in the UK :) 

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 10:00:04 PM

With the 5850 launching with a msrp of 269.99, who would of thought that , 9 months later you can hardly buy one, at that price. LOL
Thats what good word of mouth, can do for your business. The GTX 460 is a midrange gpu, how exciting could it be ? If its got the ability to clock like the 5770,5850 does, is how.
All the performance figures are at 675mhz~gtx 460 and rumour is the card's tdp is 150 ish watts.
If they wanted to ,(conjecture here) they could have lowered the clocks and put only 1 6 pin power connector. And still bench the same as the card we are going to get will do.
BUT, the g104 is going to have the ability to clock a lot higher and the card is prepared to do that power wise. This is what will give it good mojo with the reviewers and the enthusiasts and the momentum of being a super video card can begin :) 
Hows that for optimism !
July 8, 2010 10:15:16 PM

mactronix said:
Im in the UK :) 

Mactronix

+1 Pricing over is a complete fking joke !

You get a GTX480 for $500, we get it for £500, and its about £1 : $1.3ratio!!!!!!
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 10:55:52 PM

cygone said:
+1 Pricing over is a complete fking joke !

You get a GTX480 for $500, we get it for £500, and its about £1 : $1.3ratio!!!!!!

Do yourself a favour and drop the misspelt profanities mate.
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:00:41 PM

The GTX 460 will be in a tight spot, at the bottom the 5770 is very cheap for AMD to make (extremely small die), we can assume it will be lower performance than the GTX 465, so it depends on which side of the 5830 it lands on and the price, if the performance and price is right, nVidia could have a real winner, on the other hand a little slip in performance and a $15 overprice would destroy its chances.
July 8, 2010 11:17:50 PM

GTX460...I can tell you honesty that the performances on this card is really good.

We will have to wait and see but I already tested it and I think this is a good price point + performance for NVIDIA.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:18:54 PM

palitusa said:
GTX460...I can tell you honesty that the performances on this card is really good.

We will have to wait and see but I already tested it and I think this is a good price point + performance for NVIDIA.

What's the price in the UK going to be?
July 8, 2010 11:20:59 PM

Alot of Gamers going to love this card because its like a TWINKED out mid range. At least for for Palit. Overclocking this card is very interesting as it is very flexible and better yet the DX11 performance is going to make ATI a little bit wet.

July 8, 2010 11:24:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What's the price in the UK going to be?

You know I can't mention anything about pricing but expect it to be a better replacement of GTX260.

a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:24:40 PM

palitusa said:
Alot of Gamers going to love this card because its like a TWINKED out mid range. At least for for Palit. Overclocking this card is very interesting as it is very flexible and better yet the DX11 performance is going to make ATI a little bit wet.

I have a pair of 8800GT's that at current pricing are not going to get replaced any time soon, unless of course a new pair of cards will cost me less than I paid for the 8800's but give me a lot more performance. So I ask again, how much will they cost in the UK?
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:26:12 PM

palitusa said:
You know I can't mention anything about pricing but expect it to be a better replacement of GTX260.

Aw c'mon, you can at least throw us a bone! :lol: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:47:51 PM

palitusa said:
http://www.buy.com/prod/evga-geforce-gtx-260-core-16-su...

This is EVGA GTX260. When I say this will be better replacement, this is what I meant.

I don't do Dollars (because I'm in the UK :whistle:  ) but would it be safe to assume that it's going to be cheaper than a GTX260 is at the moment?
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:56:18 PM

I don't think that NV will go as far as selling the 460 at a lower price than the 260, it wouldn't make sense. I say 225.00/230.00$ (768Mb) and 250.00$ (1Gb).

Here in the states the 260 can be purchased for as low as 180.00$ shipped, not sure about the UK though..
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 11:59:55 PM

OvrClkr said:
I don't think that NV will go as far as selling the 460 at a lower price than the 260, it wouldn't make sense. I say 225.00/230.00$ (768Mb) and 250.00$ (1Gb).

Here in the states the 260 can be purchased for as low as 180.00$ shipped, not sure about the UK though..

Over here you're looking at £155 - £170ish so unless the 460's start at £150 or less I for one am not interested.
July 9, 2010 12:10:44 AM

Do you think if GTX460 came out with 2GB, would people buy it? I know retailers/etail would be good but what about the gamers?
July 9, 2010 12:28:16 AM

palitusa said:
Do you think if GTX460 came out with 2GB, would people buy it? I know retailers/etail would be good but what about the gamers?

I think 2GB is a bit overkill for a mid-range product. A 1.5GB 460 is an entirely different matter...
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 12:47:38 AM

palitusa said:

gamers would rip it to shreds in recommendations. by the way 450w minimum PSU but it needs 2x6pin power connectors(as leaked)??? that does not sound right.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 12:50:09 AM

mactronix said:
So what do people think, will this card mark the start of Nvidia being competitive again or will it just be another so so but expensive card from the green team ?
With games being stagnant and not demanding more of our hardware we need some competition in the industry to drive improvements and innovations.
I have seen some slides that show the price and performance but im not holding my breath as these things can easily be photo shopped. For what its worth they put the card around teh 5830 performance wise while being cheaper. time will tell i guess.
Fanboys need not reply :kaola: 

Mactronix

i plan to be first in line at the nvidia store to get mine!!! hopefully the antenna has no issues....oh wait wrong product :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 12:51:12 AM

palitusa said:

I doubt it would be very useful performance wise, even a 5870 barely gets any additional performance from 2GB (I don't think there are any GTX 470/480 comparasions).
Would the GTX 460 benefit? No.
Would people buy it? Yes.
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 5:34:54 AM

mactronix said:
For what its worth they put the card around teh 5830 performance wise while being cheaper. time will tell i guess.

The question is, what is the real cost of each? And is there flexibility in pricing? That to me will determine how it turns out. BTW, the HD5830 is currently $199 on NewEgg, so if the $199/229-239 pricing is correct for the two GTX460s, then the current pricing is the same, not cheaper on the GTX460.

If the costs are in any way favouring the HD58xx and AMD is feeling even the slightest pinch, can AMD crater their prices for a chip/card that may cost much less to make? The GF104 is looking physically bigger and may be harder to pack onto a wafer than a Cypress chip (which is also a mature chip too) so depending on how they are squeezed and how much it costs them, AMD could possibly drop the price of the HD5850 to put pressure on the GTX460 & GTX470 simultaneously.

The HD5830 is difficult to consider at it's current price, but if AMD were strategic (which they show little sign of being so much as a little cautious [design redundancy] and lucky) then you would keep HD5830 and 5850 prices high and hold back on stock prior to the launch of the GTX460 to maximize your return on cards prior to that time especially on an item with tough positioning (hd5830 right next to HD5770), and then once the GTX460 comes out you crater prices of both and move the previously unattractive HD5830 and them move the HD5850 into the GTX460 space and draw from the GTX470, this would allow you to maximize prices in the past and possibly maximize profit (if total revenue is higher now that what it would've been earlier at a lower price). And the HD5830 pricing wouldn't affect the HD5770 as much since they are positioned towards different needs (performance vs power consumption and size), and it's currently around and even below $150, so there's alot of marketing wiggle-room there.

IMO this would've been the right strategic move over the past month or so if they anticipated the GF104 coming and knew their costs were low enough (if maturity helped), this would both keep sales high and hurt the competition's launch, and start to make space for an HD5870 clockspeed refresh (not silicon refresh) if one is waiting.

Of course if things stay relatively where they are and AMD has no wiggle room (like if there's not enough chips), then this will allow nV to have a part that starts to make a little more value sense, although it's still a little power hungry (looking like more than an HD5850 if TDP is close to actual power consumption [GTX480 and 470 power consumption according to Xbit's #s was above TDP for the 480 260/250 and below for the 470 197/215]) the GTX460 is said to be 180W and the HD5850 is pulling in under 125W.

And for nV it also depends on the cost of manufacture, because if it's cheap enough then it's a good margin life-line, but if it's in any way costly then margins might remain tight with alot of pressure to stay near launch price.

In any case it should make the action interesting because regardless of overall success it puts added pressure into that segment starting to finally add pressure to the middle-class.
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 5:52:53 AM

palitusa said:
Alot of Gamers going to love this card because its like a TWINKED out mid range.

TWINKED out?
So it's gay but new? :heink:  :benetton:  :hebe: 

I don't think you're using that word correctly, I think you mean Tweaked.

Quote:
Overclocking this card is very interesting as it is very flexible and better yet the DX11 performance is going to make ATI a little bit wet.

Really, this is as an unbiased contributor? And by DX11, do you mean something more than just Unigine, like an actual game? :sarcastic: 

What's the power consumption like, does it make nVidia and it's users a little hot & bothered? :hot: 

:evil: 

edit...

palitusa said:
You know I can't mention anything about pricing...

Just drop FUD hints of performance? Why no hints of price or is it easier to hold you to pricing statements, rather than 'DX11 performance' comments? :pfff: 

Seriously laughable, one moment providing commentary on not only your soon to launch product but also reference others', and then the next moment, clamming up claiming 'you know I can't mention..', yeah ok. :sarcastic: 
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 6:11:45 AM

OvrClkr said:

That's going to have to change, the GTX260 is a very limited card nowadays especially for any long term build, and keeping it even close to $200 is pointless now. The only reason it was in the $180 range was because there was no GTX460 and not enough GTX465, so nV kept it there as a place holder for the silly few willing to fork out that much for a card just because it has that logo on it, but now that the GTX460 is here, it's time to clean the old G200s out of the system, not price the GTX460 there to protect that GTX260.

Of course if nV has no volume of GTX460 then you're stuck, but if they have good quantities, then push them out and drop the old G200 based cards and get them out of channel.
a c 130 U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 8:31:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, that kind of thing is standard for the frog TGGA . I switch of when he turns up :sleep: 
I really hope the 460 does shake things up in the mainstream segment, we all know it needs it.
Monday will tell i guess.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2010 9:00:43 PM

The early 'reference' gtx 460 spied had only 1 sli connector. And that was noted.
This pic of the MSI version looks like it might have have another connector for tri-sli.
Sort of meaningless for most people, it just caught my attention.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 12:19:17 AM

NICE,
Palit has a Sonic Platinum model , clocked at 800mhz. It to early to know for sure, but imo, they all are going to do 800 easily if they are selling one that way.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Palit also has a 1gb model for 220.00, so the pricing is 200/220 with fancy coolers being a little more.
July 11, 2010 12:25:10 AM

Hopefully all the reviews will be out on Monday :) 

@ PhychoSaysDie: Is that to replace the quad SLId 470s?
July 11, 2010 12:31:53 AM

Quote:
F no. Just to test

Then when newegg runs out of stock you can sell them at an exorbitant price. :) 
July 11, 2010 12:35:04 AM

Quote:
Honestly i ordered them because i'm curious how well they overclock and perform in single and SLI. Would be very interesting if they can match a 480 for the 400 dollar asking price of them.

I would think that at SLI resolutions and settings, the small(er) amount of memory would be a significant bottleneck.
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 12:45:21 AM

Quote:
I agree. I don't think they'll be able to handle AA and AF as well as the 480 does but we'll see.

I'm just wondering whether these would be a worthy replacement for my trusty (but rather aged) 8800GT's or whether I'm going to sit back and wait for DX11 games to become a little more prevalent.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 1:04:18 AM

Time to wait for performance, the 5830 is the same price so let's see if the GTX 460 is worth it.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 1:20:41 AM

Quote:
I was right. Def put a hurting on a 480. Hmm maybe i'll just cancel my order.

you already have quad 470's why would you possibly need more video cards :na: 
July 11, 2010 1:43:49 AM

Looks like a fun card to tweak I bet with some voltage and good air cooling you could hit 950MHz or maybe even 1000MHz. A 1536mb 256 bit bus version bus would be very nice for sli.

YAY!!! The stagnant market is being stirred. :bounce: 

I'm not upgrading this generation because my 4850 x2 is still plenty fast.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 1:48:28 AM

OvrClkr said:
you already have quad 470's why would you possibly need more video cards :na: 

he wants his PC to resemble this :kaola: 

a c 235 U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 1:58:22 AM

looking at that link I can only come up with one conclusion!!!

the Japanese are fascinated with buggy eyed cartoon school girls......
July 11, 2010 2:06:17 AM

well the price is good. 199-209 for a 1gb version of the card. plus the OC from what i heard isnt bad at all.

i think the card would be a great upgrade for people looking to ditch there 200 series cards and get into dx11 for a low price.

i asked about the card too, i wanted to know if i could run four of them to replace my two gtx295 cards. turns out this card has a weak point. it cannot run quad sli, only sli. kinda lame (and my current 295 array would be faster)

but this card in sli with a ppu should be very sick and for 400 bucks i cant see you going wrong with this thing.
July 11, 2010 2:09:41 AM

seth89 said:
well the price is good. 199-209 for a 1gb version of the card. plus the OC from what i heard isnt bad at all.

i think the card would be a great upgrade for people looking to ditch there 200 series cards and get into dx11 for a low price.

i asked about the card too, i wanted to know if i could run four of them to replace my two gtx295 cards. turns out this card has a weak point. it cannot run quad sli, only sli. kinda lame (and my current 295 array would be faster)

but this card in sli with a ppu should be very sick and for 400 bucks i cant see you going wrong with this thing.

You would be better off running 2 gtx 480 sli than gtx 460 in quad sli i think.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 2:21:57 AM

Would be nice to see a Vantage score with a more common CPU, benching with a 980x is kinda killing the whole purpose..
!