Sign in with
Your question
Closed

60 c idle temp

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 25, 2010 10:50:09 PM

Hello, So a month ago i built my first system and i have no issues whatsoever but when i check my cpu temp... its never been less than 57c on all cores... i have a i5-760.. gigabyte h55m-usb3 i have 5 120mm fans running at 1200rpm 1 exhaust and 4 intake.. i assumed it would be MUCH cooler...any advice on why its so high?? and should i worry?

More about : idle temp

a c 850 à CPUs
October 25, 2010 11:05:01 PM

That is high! Is the cooler properly installed on the CPU?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 12:14:30 AM

HotCPU said:
Hello, So a month ago i built my first system and i have no issues whatsoever but when i check my cpu temp... its never been less than 57c on all cores... i have a i5-760.. gigabyte h55m-usb3 i have 5 120mm fans running at 1200rpm 1 exhaust and 4 intake.. i assumed it would be MUCH cooler...any advice on why its so high?? and should i worry?

Is the cooler tight on the CPU so that it can't be moved? Most of the time the CPU cooler causes the heat when it isn't properly installed.

What are your temps at full load?

That fan configuration isn't very good for airflow. Having 1 fan trying to exhaust all the air that 4 other fans bring in, especially since their all the same rpm, will have worse airflow than having 3 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans. I would try to change at least one of the fans so they are more even.
Score
Related resources
October 26, 2010 12:24:37 AM

Can you post a picture showing your fan/case layout?
Also, what are you using to measure your CPU temps?
Score
October 26, 2010 2:17:40 AM

something is seriously wrong if it's idling that high. ie. you totally forgot to apply thermal compound, or have a bad chip. you're going to probably destroy that chip if you push load on it.
Score
October 26, 2010 3:22:57 AM

alright so here is a screenshot of my cold boot after not being on for about 3hrs and this is my temp!... i'm using speccy.. probably not the best but i don't even usually check this stuff. And here is a screenshot of the fan layout... this is the case i have so i just followed what it shows as per their website. ... as for thermal compound ... it was on the stock fan already when i put it on the chip... seating seems to be fine, its not the first one i've ever put on but obviously now you all have me scared... o.O

Score
October 26, 2010 3:45:27 AM

just after posting those screenies i opened her up and checked the fan.... its seated securely and properly no movement at all.
Score
October 26, 2010 8:14:12 AM

I can't use the links.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 5:21:21 PM

(1) Airflow in/out should be close to balanced
(2) The Stock intel HSF is at the bottom of the heap, that said your Idle temps should be much cooler, unless you live in the desert and room temp is 100 F.
Would recommend downloading CPUID HWMonitor, install and run. My I5-750 idles in the 30s, max load (runing prime95) is upper 50s
Score
October 26, 2010 8:24:28 PM

these are the fans i have... 1 silverstone...set at the back for exhaust.... 2 cooler master at top intake and front and bottom scythe intake....

I opened it up and checked the heatsink that it was seated properly for a 2nd time... all fine.... i moved the fans around so that coolermaster is back (exhaust) / bottom(intake)..... Top furthest to back silverstone and beside it scythe... and front scythe. and the idle temp went up by about 2 degrees in this configuration too!!

i did go out and buy some arctic silver 5 because im freaking out that this cpu is gonna fry and im not overclocking it!!!

Based on the fans i have any suggestions for how to configure them better?? i just followed the case instructions..... also i'll get HWmonitor......

Lastly room temp is max 20 C..... i like it cold :) 

my 2 HD's are static at 30 C
Score
October 26, 2010 8:38:46 PM

71C on 1 core :( 
Score
October 26, 2010 9:11:28 PM

ok even more info for everyone... ran prime95... for exactly 2.5 seconds and my 4 temps hit 92/94/88/96!!!!
Score
October 26, 2010 9:54:41 PM

Try reseating the heatsink on the processor. This will also give you a chance to check and make sure the thermal compound you're using is making full contact. Make sure the compound is evenly spread in a thin coat, the idea is as thin as possible while still making full contact. Just remember though, a little too much thermal compound is way better than not enough.
Score
October 26, 2010 10:28:21 PM

Wow, those temps bring me back to my P4 2GHz hyperthreading days. Now there was a CPU you could cook an egg on.
Score
October 26, 2010 10:51:02 PM

tinted my heatsink and cpu ... put arctic silver 5... as per the instructions on arctic silver website booted up and ... =/ now its 61C idle and i made one of my fans exhaust so now i have 2 exhaust 3 intake...... any any any any idea wtf is going on?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 11:02:58 PM

I noticed your CPU Vcore says it's at 1.3V, which is high for a stock processor, isn't it supposed to be 1.15V?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 11:12:16 PM

HotCPU said:
]http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/10397/832292103967556.jpg

these are the fans i have... 1 silverstone...set at the back for exhaust.... 2 cooler master at top intake and front and bottom scythe intake....

I opened it up and checked the heatsink that it was seated properly for a 2nd time... all fine.... i moved the fans around so that coolermaster is back (exhaust) / bottom(intake)..... Top furthest to back silverstone and beside it scythe... and front scythe. and the idle temp went up by about 2 degrees in this configuration too!!

i did go out and buy some arctic silver 5 because im freaking out that this cpu is gonna fry and im not overclocking it!!!

Based on the fans i have any suggestions for how to configure them better?? i just followed the case instructions..... also i'll get HWmonitor......

Lastly room temp is max 20 C..... i like it cold :) 

my 2 HD's are static at 30 C

I would make the top and back exhaust, while the front and bottom intake. This will keep the air flowing one direction instead of creating currents against each other.
Score
October 26, 2010 11:16:11 PM

61c is just too high for an idle processor, regardless of the core voltage being tweeked. Considering that you mentioned you keep the room at 20c a 41c delta at idle is just not realistic for any processor at idle if the cooling is in fact doing its job. My best recommendation if you insist on using the stock cooler is to continue to reseat the heatsink as I'm assuming that the stock cooler has those annoying pushpins. Just because that thing is on there snug does not mean that its on there tight and flush with the CPU surface. The only thing I can think of trying is laying the case on its side and resting the cooler on top of the CPU without securing it. The even weight of the heatsink should automatically make the optimal contact (with the thermal compound in the middle, of course). Just be careful that the heatsink does not lose contact... as this would be bad. In addition, the thermal shutdown for the CPU is at 100c, so screwing around with it to try and figure out this problem at the temps you're getting should not damage it. I would just avoid loading it until this problem is resolved.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2010 11:38:16 PM

after looking at the screenshot, I have to ask are you overclocked? cuz you are running 1.3v and that should be way lower at stock

apparently I responded without refreshing the page lol Haserath beat me to it
Score
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 12:07:49 AM

Even at 1.3 thats ridiciousally high. I have an old E7500 @ 4.07 on a stock cooler and doesnt go above 75C (Prime95). This might sound silly but is the processor fan plugged in and spinning? Other than that I would think reseating the HSF but you already did that..

Another Topic with someone having the same problems they had to reseat it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290016-28-stock-temp-...
Score
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 12:09:30 AM

Hard Line said:
after looking at the screenshot, I have to ask are you overclocked? cuz you are running 1.3v and that should be way lower at stock

apparently I responded without refreshing the page lol Haserath beat me to it

Hase wins again ;) 

Quote:
tinted my heatsink and cpu ... put arctic silver 5... as per the instructions on arctic silver website booted up and ... =/ now its 61C idle and i made one of my fans exhaust so now i have 2 exhaust 3 intake...... any any any any idea wtf is going on?

Do you have a camera so we could see a picture of your bios? Some settings in there could make the idle temp higher than normal if they aren't set right.

Tipping the case on it's side does help the heatsink sit on the processor better, if that makes the processor cooler than you know it's the heatsink not being seated properly.

The most important temp is the load temp though, keeping that under ~80C keeps the processor safe, idle temp doesn't really make a difference.
Score
October 27, 2010 12:18:35 AM

i've never overclocked nor do i even know how to... only thing changed really in the bios is set the ram at xmp profile... other than that everything is on auto... i'll take some pictures for you all including the bios...
Score
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 12:26:05 AM

ok then in that case, you should lower your vcore it does not need to be that high at stock settings. i would say 1.2 at most.

@sniper I believe he is using the stock heatsink in which case, a vcore at 1.3 will cause it to run that hot
Score
October 27, 2010 12:45:29 AM

so here are all my settings im sure you dont need to see them all but meh... and my system setup as you can see the airflow doesnt have any blocks or very very minimal... and yes its stock cooler.

Score
October 27, 2010 1:59:16 AM

i just assumed auto in bios... it would set it properly ... but if you look at the screenshot cpu vcore says auto and 1.05v o.o plus if i set it without auto can i damage anything??
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 2:02:55 AM

From the look of the BIOS it looks like that i5 is overclocked, but with a lower CPU multiplier to make it approximately the same GHZ as stock.

The base clock should be 133mhz while the cpu multiplier should be 21x.
The QPI should be set at the lowest frequency you can set it, this doesn't affect performance much, if any.
Memory speed looks like it is good up to 1600mhz, so if you lower the base clock you should raise that back to 1600mhz though it probably won't make much difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz. I would also set the timings manually to whatever they are rated at.

I would just set all the voltages manually since that board might be setting them at higher than normal(especially with that base clock).
CPU Vcore-1.1 would probably be good, I would actually try lower to have better efficiency(my C0 920 is at 1.05 Core voltage)
Memory- Based on what it's rated at. Looks like it's 1.65V based on those photos.
QPI/Vtt- 1.15V(Needs to be within .5V on the memory)
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 2:07:00 AM

HotCPU said:
i just assumed auto in bios... it would set it properly ... but if you look at the screenshot cpu vcore says auto and 1.05v o.o plus if i set it without auto can i damage anything??

If the voltages are set too high you could damage something, but lowering them will only make the processor unstable if they're set too low.
Auto is whatever the mobo manufacturer makes it, so it could be off. The board is overclocked though, so I would say the voltages are very high due to auto usually setting them higher than they need to be at certain speeds.
Score
October 27, 2010 4:46:05 PM

so set the bclk @ 133,multiplier @ 21, QPI @ 32 (only option was 32 or 36, was at 36).. cpu Vcore @1.05 , and QPI -Vtt @1.15... unfortunately... memory is staying at 1333 because only option is auto,6,8 or 10... which leaves it at 1333..... damn and i bought all this speedy ram..... but here is the result...

so gigabyte is showing the lowest and the other 3 are showing roughly the same... but its at least 24 degrees lower than before so THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!! :) 

Score
October 27, 2010 4:46:29 PM

Best answer selected by HotCPU.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2010 10:25:58 PM

No problem ;) 
If you start having any unstability problems just raise the voltages a little for the vcore/qpi or lower memory speed/raise memory timings to fix it( Do each separately so you know which would be causing the problem).
Score
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2010 2:58:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!