How do you guys structure a dual hard drive setup?

G

typically the only things on my boot drive are drivers and maybe 4 programs that i want up to date like ccleaner, 7zip, vlc, and anitvirus. also install anything that needs the the speed on an ssd. i have a pretty well structured data drive that really helps for when i corrupt my boot drive [unfortunate risk when putting in other peoples drives] ican typically install windows and all my drivers in 30-35 minutes, windows updates take forever [if anyone has a better way so i dont have to download them EVERY time]

i structure my data drive in different folders like this:

Backups [for laptop hard drive and flash drives, also copy contents of boot drive before i format]
Clients [backup there information here by reoving their hard drive and copying its complete contents here, i delete when i am finished fixing/reinstalling windows on their machine]
Documents
Downloads {i set chrome and utorrent to download here]
Recipes [food]
Games Files [for .isos patches, mods separated by game]
Other [for things that that dont have a category]
ISO [for bootable .isos and and anything that is an .iso that isnt a game, also have linux .isos here]
Movies
Music [i drag music to itunes and selection option for organized music folder so itunes separates each band in a different folders for me]
Pictures
Program Files [were i install all of my programs/games]
Programs [programs that are not installed, setup files and .exes that are not .isos, useful for when i have to format my laptop or someone else, also keep utilities and tools here]
TV [tv shows by folder, in the folder they are separated by season]

the reason i separate .exe and .iso is because they have complete different processes. .iso need to be mounted either to a usb device or with a program like virtual clone drive and sometimes need to be modified with a program like power iso..exe are a lot easier and are typically just an install. Game .isos are adifferent maner and usually take some extra steps like mods and patches and need a much more organized approach plus source links [download locations and links to information for future reference]

well thats my typical approach. i would like to see how you guys do it

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I am very structured like you too. Mine is kind of like a tree though that breaks down into a lot of sub-divisions.
Like:
Files
-Applications (install files)
--Media Editing
--Programming
--Security
--Games
--List goes on lol..
-Operating Systems
--Windows
--Linux
- Torrents
--Completed
---Music
----Folder for Each Genre
-----Folder for Each Band
------Folder for Each Album
---Movies
----Folder for Each Genre
---TV Series
---Applications
--Download In Progress
-School
--Presentations
---Name of Presentation
----Included Pictures/Video
--Essays
---Name of Essay
----Related Docs
--Labs
-Program Files (where I install non-ssd requiring apps)
--Media Editing
--Programming
--Security
--Games
--List goes on lol..

List goes on and on, this is on my storage drive.. On my boot drive I leave the default file structure intact. I.e, program files, program files (x86)

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
FYI the above has a lot of omissions, it's just a rough template.. I have a lot more sub folders than are listed in some of those..I sort everything into Genres, Seasons, Albums, Types of Software, Performance Requirements, etc etc..
I love folders.. :love:

G

when i was still in school i had a folder for every class with sub-folders. i never separate by genre, i would never find anything DX though i do have a folder for horror movies. on my desktop i have a folders for benching, performance, tools, maintenance etc. i always keep torrents and downloads in same folder so i can do less work when i sort them into other folders

folders make life easier