Best MoBo for a non overclocker

gow_online

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Hi . . .

I live in India and Im planning to upgrade my PC and im gonna use it for gaming and watching movies . . Not gonna do anything other than that.

I want a cheap upgrade so i thought i'd get a

Intel Core i3 2100 or
Intel Core i5 2400

I ll be running a Radeon , preferably the HD6870 . (Will there be bottleneck issues with i3 2100 ?)

The main help i want is in choosing a MoBo. I wont be OCing my GPU or CPU. (I dont know to do it.) So pls suggest a cheap and reliable non OC MoBo for my build.

Or do you suggest that i learn to OC and get a i5-2500k instead?

Would a HD6870 + i3-2100 play the current games in high settings in 1440x900 res? Any suggestions on a budget gaming PC would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for your replies

You won't need to overclock at those resolutions. The stock clock of any SB CPU you pick will suffice. Additionally there is the turbo feature. And no, none of the SB processors will bottleneck a 6870.

Now for the recommendation part. H61/H67 boards (non overclocking boards) don't have that much of a price difference compared to overclock friendly boards based on the P67/Z68 chipset. Generally, overclock friendly boards incorporate better components to keep upto the stable voltage requirements and encounter heat issues. So my suggestion is to grab a good P67/Z68 board. Moreover, the need to overclock might come sometime in future.

As for product recommendations, grab the i5 2500k along with the Asus P8Z68-V. Total would come upto around 21k. But it will be money well spent. You won't regret it.