Sign in with
Your question

Reboot Loop

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 3:39:34 AM

Hey guys ive been trying to work out why when I turn on my new (homebuilt) PC for the first time in the morning it seems to get stuck in a boot loop with it restarting every 30 seconds (I can tell because the gpu fan spins up to max on boot) and it requires a reset then starts normally the 2nd boot.
No video comes through to the monitors on that first boot not even the Mobo splash screen.

The weird thing is it only happens for the first boot of the day and any restart after that works perfectly and the PC pretty much works flawlessly.
If the PC does start the first time It will BSOD but this only happens once every 2 weeks or so.

My rig.

i5 750
4gb Gskill ddr3
GB P55A-UD3
HD4890
CM 6902 advanced
3 HDD
DVD RW
HX750 PSU

I have checked my ram is seated correctly and run memtest but the ram checks out.
I just installed a new psu but that didnt fix the problem.
I found a missing driver and installed that but no change.
Im stumped so anyone got any ideas?

More about : reboot loop

August 14, 2010 3:53:15 AM

Is your CPU OC;d?
August 14, 2010 3:55:19 AM

No its just at stock.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 3:59:24 AM

Bilbat may see this and jump in, but as a starting point this sounds like a memory "issue". Save your current BIOS settings and load Failsafe Defaults. Modify only those things that are absolutely necessary, if any. If that works, make any other BIOS changes slowly, adjusting memory settings only after/if your symptoms have disappeared.

Then try Optimized Defaults, taking the same approach.

Another tip would be to disconnect any USB devices you can, other than KB and mouse.
August 14, 2010 4:00:26 AM

Do you have the latest video drivers and BIOS for your M/BD?

Might just go ahead and reinstall your video drivers to rule that out.
August 14, 2010 4:03:37 AM

I have the latest Video drivers but have not updated the bios as of yet.
I was going to do the bios update as a last resort because i dont really like mucking about with them.
August 14, 2010 4:07:03 AM

Have you tried what Twoboxer has suggested to you yet?
August 14, 2010 4:23:26 AM

No i have not but I will.
August 14, 2010 5:06:02 AM

Try this :::go to My Computer/Control panel/System/Advanced,,,then go to start up and recovery and turn on ,,'send an administrative alert;, leave it on permanently as it will always tell you what is what whenever the system crashes etc...:) 
August 15, 2010 11:34:47 PM

Well i just reflashed to the latest Bios (first time i had done that so was a tad scary :p ) so fingers crossed that fixes my issue.
Thanks for all the suggestions its much appreciated.
August 16, 2010 2:24:40 AM

Scotto01 said:
Well i just reflashed to the latest Bios (first time i had done that so was a tad scary :p ) so fingers crossed that fixes my issue.
Thanks for all the suggestions its much appreciated.

I put off updating my BIOS for a week the first time I did it. Hope you got the same satisfied felling I got when I finally did it thou. Congratulations!:) 

Be sure and let us know if that fixed your problem or not 'cause it helps us to know if we were going in the right direction too.:D 
August 16, 2010 4:15:29 AM

no such luck :( 
Now Im getting BSOD on cold boot.
Stop code is 0x0000000a windows 7 64bit
August 24, 2010 9:10:47 AM

So it was a dodgey stick of Ram in the end.
I bought myself another 4gb of corsair ram this time and my machine has never been better.

The PC shop I bought my original Ram from have been an absolute nightmare to deal with with customer service non existant.

They refused to replace the ram which is pretty shabby and will have to wait 4 weeks for the manufacturer to test and send me out a new set so I will be rolling with 8gb I guess there has to be a win somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for the help its much appreciated
!