Sign in with
Your question

Random short beep on GA-P55A-UD3iP55

Last response: in Motherboards
June 19, 2011 5:33:09 PM

random short beep on GA-P55A-UD3iP55

Hi guys.

I have a strange problem with my pc. Randomly while I'm busy with it (so not in start up mode) I sometimes get randomly 1 short beep. I can't find what the 1 short beep means because it isn't a startup beep..

This are my pc specs:

mobo: GA-P55A-UD3iP55
cpu: Intel i5 quad core @ 2.80GHz
graphic card: ATI Radeon HD5850 VaporX 1GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP
hard disks: 2x seagate 750GB + 1x WD 1TB
cd drive: plextor px-712A
memory: Corsair 2x2GB DDR3PC12800 CL7 Dominator

What have I already done:
I removed the plextor cd drive and disconnected 2 HD's (1 seagate, 1 WD), only the 750GB with win7 and programs is still up. I opened the case, listened carefully where the sound comes from and it's from the right side of my mobo or the hard disks (which are also at the right side of the mobo).
I tested the memory with a memory test cd, which didn't give errors...

Another thing is that i use palemoon, which is firefox engine and also memory leaked, it uses now about 400K of my memory... Can this be a problem which could execute the sound?

Can a hard disk make sounds? Like can the beep be from the Seagate 750 GB which is still connected? I don't know what to do, hopefully you guys can help me out...

And another edit:
I downloaded a tool named 'OpenHardwareMonitor' to follow up my cpu and gpu temperature etc. Random cpu temperature is between 30°C and 40°C (cooled with Corcair H70). The GPU temp is around 55 to 60°C.

Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 1:46:25 PM

Hi there,
Here's the important question - do you have a small 'beep code' speaker or pizzo electric 'speaker' attached to the front I/O connectors ?
That's at the lower right area on the MB. Here's an image of what it should look like, the speaker would be on pins 17 & 20.

Other devices don't have speakers - sometimes you can hear a high pitched sound from the 5850 Video card if either of the PCI-e power connectors are not making good contact. Occasionally you can hear a beep like sound from a HDD, a vibration as the actuator moves, but it's not a good sign. Is it associated with any clilcking noise?

Also your OpenHardwareMonitor will read the SMART parameters from the HDD's. Any problems from that info or unusually high temperature of either HDD?

June 20, 2011 2:54:18 PM

Hi John. Thanks for your quick answer.

Looks like something is connected on those pins which go with the power leds to my front panel. That could be the thing which makes sounds. It isn't the video card because the sound came from the left side of the mobo (or now from the front panel).

So the sound could be from the mobo buzzer/speaker (which I cannot verify so it could be still the HDD) thing which means something should be wrong with my RAM (i have tested this already with a boot-test-program) or my CPU. The processor is now 4 cores are now approximately idling, which gives me a temperature of 27°C (if i believe the tool). Sometimes the processor is a bit busy and the temp goes fast to 35°C. Could the beep be a result of a temperature peak which is too fast to detect with the tool? (This is hard to believe because my max cpu temperature before the alarm is 60°C...)

Another thing that i forgot to mention is that sometimes (sometimes = i only heard it 2 times, sometimes it's just the beep) after the beep, my fan goes to 1k8 rpm and goes back to his normal 1k4...

If temperature peaks aren't an option in this case, what could the problem be?

Thanks in advance.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 4:45:08 PM

Sometimes it's hard to pin down a funny noise. What kind of case do you have? The only thing you would connect to those speaker pins (actually 4 pins wide) is a pizzo elect or small speaker. Also, as your computer passes the POST in starting up, do you hear a single 'beep' which means everything is OK?

The temps you list are fine for a CPU.

Next boot up, go into you BIOS, and look on the PC Health page, check to see if the CPU warning temperature, CPU fan fail, Power Fan Fail, and System fans Fail warning are 'disabled'. The defaults are normally 'disabled' The CPU smart fan mode is usually set to 'auto'. If a fan intermittantly is failing or CPU warning temp is lower, they can give you a beep as a warning.

If any of those are 'enabled' you could disable for a short time temporarily each one in sequence, to see if that stops the beep. Could be a failing fan -

Other way to separate out if the beep sound is MB related vs HDD related, is to disconnect (with computer shut down) the connector on the Front I/O header speaker pins as shown. Not having the speaker connected doesn't hurt anything. If it stops, it's a warning from the MB. Then reconnect the 4 spaced connector back on it's pins.

June 21, 2011 7:54:44 PM

Hi John. My case is a Antec Sonata III 500. There is a speaker, glued in my front panel of the case. It's just above the power button zone.

When my pc passes POST, i never hear something (never heard something in the 1 year i have my pc).

This is wat i see in the BIOS - PC Health page.

Enabled in bios: CPU FAN Fail, sytem fan1 fail, csp smart van control. CPU Warning temp: 70°C.

Vcore = 1.092V, DDR15V = 1.584V, +5V = 4.972V, +12V = 12.175V (Those values aren't exact the correct voltage but I don't think that could give any issues?)

The thing we could have is a CPU FAN fail? But, shouldn't my temperature be higher then?

I'll disconnect the header tommorow and will have a look if it still beeps.

Thanks.

Edit: I've disconnected the wire, no sounds anymore. So it's from the mobo. Now I've disabled cpu fan fail alarm. Let's see what that gives! :-)
June 24, 2011 12:15:56 PM

I've enabled the beep warning again and i don't hear anything anymore. The only thing i did was replacing the beep connector and reconnecting all my hdd's ... Weird.
August 1, 2011 6:28:20 PM

Rabbel,

I just ran into this thread by a google search.

I have a very similar motherboard (Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, i7-875K at factory clock rate, never overclocked (yet!)), and I've been having the exact same symptoms for the last 1-2 months.
The system is slightly over 1 year old, which means I'm out of warranty :-(
I already figured out this comes from the motherboard, but I still have no idea what this means.

The problem is that last week my system began showing clear signs of instability, stops awaking from standby mode, randomly crashing under stable applications (well, one application - Portal 2 :-))
My next steps are to run a deep memtest, and measure the power supply output voltages while Windows is running.

Any good apps for monitoring Gigabyte motherboard voltage under Windows?

Is your system still OK, 1 month after you posted your last message?

thanks,
Udi
January 28, 2013 3:49:43 AM

This thread is old - but I wanted to chime in on my experience w/ the single short beep.

I have a P55A-UD3. I had a power outage while running my PC, and upon turning it back on (once power was back) I had the single, short beep. I was ultra worried the outage had fried some component, and that I was having some kind of high-frequency pick-up on the MB beeper due to a component failing (ie bad capacitor, etc).

However, I loaded HWMonitor and found that my CPU voltage was down to 0.86 V from 1.26 V, my CPU temps were *lower* than usual, and my CPU speed was down. Turns out the GA MBs set the system into a "safe mode" when a failure occurs where they automatically ramp the voltages back (typically this would occur because you've been too liberal w/ your OC, but an outage could cause it to appear as a failure). All you have to do is go into BIOS (which in my case saved the previous settings), make sure all settings are as they were before, and save the settings on exit. The MB goes back to normal voltages, etc. In my case the beep went away after I did this. So the MB is telling you the system has been put into an altered state from your custom settings.

So if you hear the beep, check to see if this has happened first. Of course, it is possible that your system HAS encountered an OC failure, so you should make sure that isn't the cause and you don't have your voltages too high, etc. Hope this helps.
!