PC screen goes blank but PC blue light stays on and more.

PierreF

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello,

This has just begun recently and on two computer games so far. At random times my computer screen goes black. Everything in the PC tower goes silent, no fans, no sounds fx from game, no nothing, but the blue light of my PC stays on.

I've tried to Alt+Tab and Crtl+alt+delete to get some sort of responce but nothing.

Specs:
Windows: Vista 32-bit
Processor: duel Intel Core CPU 6300@1.86GHz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Ideas or thoughts of what could be causing this?

If I had to guess it is your PSU. They degrade over time and yours could be at the point were occasionally during gaming the system needs more power than the PSU can deliver. Gaming stresses both the GPU and CPU causing more power to be drawn. When the PSU can't keep up the system shuts down.
What PSU do you have exactly and how old is it?

PierreF

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
PSU = Power Supply?

If so then its HP Factory Direct and is about 3 years old. But here are the details that I could find on it.
HIPRO
AC Input: 100 - 127V/6A
DC Output: +5V/25A
Dont exceed 165W
Max Output 250W

Ah, yeah. That thing has no business running a GTS 250. Usually you will want at least a 400w PSU for that card. When did you install it?
I'm surprised the system started up at all with it installed but you were pushing the PSU to its limit which will drastically shorten its lifespan. You will need to replace it. This would be a good choice;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
It's very high quality and a good deal.

PierreF

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
JYJJY,

Thank you for the quick responce and the link to the PSU! I put the card in about 2 weeks ago, I was really hoping you would say it was the Power Supply.

As a side question, what is the best way to find out the highest Processor my mother board can handle?

Tell me what board you have.
Also I spotted this if you prefer;
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-17-103-941-_-07082010
Really the other would be more than good enough but that is a very nice deal if you would like something more powerful. The "shell shocker" deals only last one day so if you want that you would need to order it tonight. The combo with the case is also a very good deal if you are interested in such.

PierreF

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks for the link, this is what CPUID tells me.

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model: LEONITE 5.0
Chipset: Intel i945P/PL/G/GZ
Rev: A2
Southbridge: Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R)
LPCIO: Fintek F8000

BIOS:
Brand: Poenix Technologies
Version: 5.08
Date: 12/08/2006

Graphic Interface:
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16
Max. Supported: x16

Once again thank you for the support JyJJy.

Alright, unfortunately your motherboard only supports Conroe based core 2 duos. The one that would be the best upgrade would be the E6700 at 2.66ghz. If you want one make sure the one you get is the right processor. Intel has another chip called the E6700 which is much newer, runs at 3.2ghz and is based on the wolfdale core.

PierreF

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
But if I upgrade the mother board then dont we start a whole new conversation about if my current memory is compatable with the new suggested set? I still have 3 kids I need to feed, lol.

As for upgrading the processor. You recommended the "E6700 at 2.66ghz" over the "E6700 which is much newer, runs at 3.2ghz and is based on the wolfdale core." Why is that?

Your ram is DDR2 as is the motherboard in that combo so you wont need new ram.
I recommended the older E6700 because it is a Conroe C2D which is what is compatible with your current motherboard according to the HP site. You will likely need to find it used. The newer E6700 is certainly faster but it is a Wolfdale chip that you can't use without replacing the motherboard.
The combo I linked is cheap and good but if you would prefer a better processor I noticed that the Corsair PSU I linked above has a combo with a Phenom II x2;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432001
Those processors actually have 4 cores but 2 of them are locked by AMD. However there are motherboards that can unlock those cores. Occasionally a core will be locked due to a manufacturing defect but most of the time they are actually fine. So with that processor it is very likely you will end up with a Phenom II x4 at a much lower price then it would otherwise cost. Even if both cores don't work you will have a x3 which is still quite nice. Here is a reasonably priced motherboard that can unlock the cores if you want to go that way;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157186
I believe in total it will be $40 more than the other combo. It is what I would recommend but then it's not my money. The Athlon II x2 will be decent for current games if $40 more is too pricey.