Hard Drive only getting read by the BIOS

Cried Upon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Urgent please help as soon as possible!

Hello,

I am in urgent need of assistance as my Hard drive is only getting read by the BIOS.

I had an old Dell computer as it had this DLL error:

"Windowsrootsystem32.hal.dll was missing or corrupt" so I finally got around to it as I found my installation disk of Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. I installed the operating system and now It starts up perfectly and I can login into the user and everything but I try to install drivers and it doesn't have enough space on the hard drive for the software to be installed. So I looked at how much storage was on the hard drive and there was (I forgot the amount of Mega Bites) But around 23 MB out of 40 MB left on the hard drive. So I went into the BIOS after restarting the computer and I checked the Hard drive and it said it had 122 GB left on the Hard drive so it was like new. So I thought it was very wierd. So I checked everything as the hard drive was working fine but only being read by the computer itself. I major in software more than I do hardware (hahahah). So can someone please take the time to type a solution in a step by step format as can be read by someone that isn't to familiar with hardware names. Thank you so much for your help and time, I do really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Cried Upon

Cried Upon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Figured out what was going on. I need to clean the partitions and re-partition the hard drive with all of it's MB but thanks to no one in the community for helping. Thanks alot everyone that read this thread. Couldn't even try to help. Goodbye tomshardware.com moving on to a better community