Your question

Gaming in Tight Spaces…..mini-ITX

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2010 10:56:49 PM

No comments?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 16, 2010 11:25:11 PM

cool. what are the dimensions of a mini itx?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 16, 2010 11:31:36 PM

SUGO SG05?
August 17, 2010 7:17:05 AM

computernewb said:
cool. what are the dimensions of a mini itx?

The motherboard is 6.7" x 6.7" or 170mm x 170mm ;) 

Timop said:
SUGO SG05?

Yes
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 9:53:20 AM

Isn't there a Mini-ITX Lian Li case that can accomodate a 5970 with a bit of coaxing? Still thats a nice setup, i'd really like to tackle a mini-itx gaming config one day.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 10:01:31 AM

Hmmm...can you post the temperature of your systems under load?
GPU, proc and mobo? I have always wanted an mini-itx gaming system, but I am afraid that I will get a system with bad cooling.

If it is cool enough, I think I gonna build myself such a system next year. I will keep my current HD5850, SSD, PSU, HDD and DVD-burner, and buy a proc, an after market proc fan, RAM, and mobo somewhere next year (summer or later).
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 10:11:36 AM

Just read your story there OP and its quite impressive. I would probably still lean towards the PC-Q08B like you suggested despite it being twice the size. Or the Silverstone SG-07B which looks nice too. Its too bad there isn't a P55 motherboard (or at least i can't find one) as quad core gaming in mini-itx would be very fun.
August 17, 2010 10:21:11 AM

Griffolion said:
Isn't there a Mini-ITX Lian Li case that can accomodate a 5970 with a bit of coaxing? Still thats a nice setup, i'd really like to tackle a mini-itx gaming config one day.

Yes, but it's twice as big (as mentioned in the article)....

guanyu210379 said:
Hmmm...can you post the temperature of your systems under load?
GPU, proc and mobo? I have always wanted an mini-itx gaming system, but I am afraid that I will get a system with bad cooling.

Check the link....tons of information about cooling and power usage ;) 

Griffolion said:
Just read your story there OP and its quite impressive. I would probably still lean towards the PC-Q08B like you suggested despite it being twice the size. Or the Silverstone SG-07B which looks nice too. Its too bad there isn't a P55 motherboard (or at least i can't find one) as quad core gaming in mini-itx would be very fun.

My primary concern with this build was case size, I wanted the absolute smallest possible case that could accomodate a high end GPU. For the resolution I play at, 1600x1200, the 5850 fits the bill nicely. Of course more is always better for performance, but to heat and power (and size) the 5970 is just too much.

I am planning a follow up article for v2.0 where I plan to upgrade to a quad core (P55 not required, H55 supports Lynnfield CPUs just fine), and modify the case a bit to fit in a 5870.....and I'll also upgrade to the new 450W Silverstone PSU.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 10:24:31 AM

Thats a fair point. Does the SG-05 support any PSU's bigger than the 300W one it comes with? If so could i get some examples? This is my primary concern and reason why i'm leaning to the Lian Li case because it allows you to put in your own PSU.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 10:55:12 AM

Thanks for the links. The SG-05 does look nice. The SG-07 doesn't seem that much bigger on paper and comes with a 600W supply. Not that its needed since you won't be able to SLI or Crossfire. So how portable is the SG-05 in terms of LAN parties etc?
August 17, 2010 12:36:43 PM

Very portable, I can toss it in my backpack with a KB & mouse, a change of clothes, and room to spare :)  (monitor not included :D )
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 12:55:42 PM

You will need a monitor also you know...find a bigger backpack which can fit also your monitor... :D 
...just kidding :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 1:36:27 PM

I was looking at the Roccat Tusko before, its a monitor and peripheral carry-case that looks really neat and comes in two sizes depending on your monitor size (supports as big as 24"). I'm already a big Roccat fan (the Kone and Kova mice are ace) so i might invest in one of those alongside a portable mini itx build!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 2:15:13 PM

The roccat monitor carrying bag looks cool, and not too expensive only about €25 here where I live.
Too bad, my Coolermaster CM690 is too big to be carried around.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 2:21:02 PM

Yeah my Antec 902 isn't the definition of portability either. I do have a smaller build that i currently use for LAN parties etc, it is a Silverstone case (forgot the exact model) but it has a carry handle on the top which makes it incredibly convenient for carrying. I suppose a mini-itx build would be a natural evolution of micro-atx in terms of portability.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2010 3:19:13 PM

miahallen said:
It's nice, but wouldn't work well for a gaming rig cause it won't fit a high end graphics card :pfff: 

Thats where modding comes in, there is space to fit a dual slot card, just not the bracket.
While I love the SUGO 5, the inability to shove a ATX PSU in makes it a little disappointing.
:pt1cable: 
August 17, 2010 3:51:31 PM

No, the problem with the Lian Li case is the video card thength....you cannot fit one in it longer than 7"....which means surely you'd never need the extra power an ATX PSU will supply ;) 

Sure you could mod that case to fit a longer video card, if you don't mind it sticking out of the side :p 

Plus I've shown in the article that the 300W PSU is powerful enough for high end equipment, and if you want to push even more, Silverstone makes a 450W PSU that will fit ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2010 4:30:06 PM

I know Silverstone makes a SFX PSU, juts its well, not the best IMO.
Id rather have the freedom of ATX PSUs.
Also for 7.5inches, you could fit some custom PCBs GTX460s in there.

BTW, do you know a place you can find a SG07?
August 17, 2010 4:57:50 PM

Quote:

It's already on the shelves in Japan....but I haven't looked for it online.

Quote:

What makes you say that....they usually earn very positive reviews :) 
The last Silverstone PSU jonnyguru reviewed earned a 9 point rating:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:

Do you have any links to these extra small 460s?
August 17, 2010 5:31:05 PM

I'm planning to rebuild this with some proper modding in the next few months to turn it into the ultimate mini-ITX rig....what do you guys think of the following upgrades?

Intel i5 750 CPU - Which I'd hope to run at 4.2GHz or more, plus it has a good IMC and 4 real cores. I'm not going to pursue an i7 because I'd turn off HT anyhow.

Corsair H70 CPU cooler - all internal. I'll have to replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" and then relocate both it and the SSD.

Corsair Dominator GTX3 memory - rated at DDR3-2400 9-11-9-27, but I'll probably try to run DDR3-2000 CAS6 or DDR3-2200 CAS7.

Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 SOC - stock clocks of 950 core and 1250 memory should give a noticable boost in GPU limited games. I'll have to mod the case a little for this to fit.

500GB Momentus XT - to replace the 1TB Green drive I'm running now.

And last but not least, I think I'd be pushing this 300W PSU a bit too hard, so I'll plan on upgrading to the new 450W SFX unit by Silverstone.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2010 5:37:49 PM

miahallen said:
Quote:

It's already on the shelves in Japan....but I haven't looked for it online.

Quote:

What makes you say that....they usually earn very positive reviews :) 
The last Silverstone PSU jonnyguru reviewed earned a 9 point rating:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Quote:

Do you have any links to these extra small 460s?

Silverstone source from lots of different OEMs, and one review really doesn't justify the whole brand. For example even Coolmax had a 9.5 rated PSU on JG, but would you buy an non-reviewed model from it? Besides, paying $80 for a 450W isnt a great deal to me.

Heres the shorter 460, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2010 5:54:38 PM

miahallen said:
I'm planning to rebuild this with some proper modding in the next few months to turn it into the ultimate mini-ITX rig....what do you guys think of the following upgrades?

Intel i5 750 CPU - Which I'd hope to run at 4.2GHz or more, plus it has a good IMC and 4 real cores. I'm not going to pursue an i7 because I'd turn off HT anyhow.

Corsair H70 CPU cooler - all internal. I'll have to replace the 3.5" HDD with a 2.5" and then relocate both it and the SSD.

Corsair Dominator GTX3 memory - rated at DDR3-2400 9-11-9-27, but I'll probably try to run DDR3-2000 CAS6 or DDR3-2200 CAS7.

Gigabyte Radeon HD 5870 SOC - stock clocks of 950 core and 1250 memory should give a noticable boost in GPU limited games. I'll have to mod the case a little for this to fit.

Momentus XT or the 600GB Velociraptor (without the aluminum heatsink) - to replace the 1TB Green drive I'm running now. Need some help deciding on this ;) 

And last but not least, I think I'd be pushing this 300W PSU a bit too hard, so I'll plan on upgrading to the new 450W SFX unit by Silverstone.

Do you want to do an AMD build? ASUS has a new ITX board out. XD

For that build, Id switch the GPU to a GTX470, its shorter than the HD5850 with the power cables, yet more powerful.
The heat might be a problem, but there should be a workaround.

With the H70, I don't think the rad with dual fans fit in the SG05 even if you relocated the HD bracket. Id get the H50, its literally the same design, sans one fan and without the minor changes to the pump.

Finally, I wouldn't run a raptor with out the icepak, since its storage anyways, I would see if the new 1TB Samsung MT2 fits and get that.

August 17, 2010 6:03:42 PM

Timop said:
Silverstone source from lots of different OEMs, and one review really doesn't justify the whole brand. For example even Coolmax had a 9.5 rated PSU on JG, but would you buy an non-reviewed model from it? Besides, paying $80 for a 450W isnt a great deal to me.

Heres the shorter 460, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I didn't cherry pick that review....it was simply the last tone they did review.....just an example. I agree they're not 100%, but overall they are usually very good.
Nice find on that460 :) 

Timop said:

For that build, Id switch the GPU to a GTX470, its shorter than the HD5850 with the power cables, yet more powerful.
The heat might be a problem, but there should be a workaround.

With the H70, I don't think the rad with dual fans fit in the SG05 even if you relocated the HD bracket. Id get the H50, its literally the same design, sans one fan and without the minor changes to the pump.

Finally, I wouldn't run a raptor with out the icepak, since its storage anyways, I would see if the new 1TB Samsung MT2 fits and get that.

No, not interested in AMD CPUs ATM ;) 

I'd like to stick to ATI for the power/watt factor. I have a 480 in my main rig where power consumption isn't a concern.

The H70 would have only a single 120x38mm fan on it for my build, and I measure, it will fit. I'd have to mod for the H50 or the H70....so, as long as I'm modding, I may as well go with the best one :)  Cost shouldn't be a factor as I'm hoping Corsair will sponsor it like they already did with the GTX3s ;) 

I've been running a 300GB Velociraptor with minimal airflow for the last year in my main rig without the icepack....the thing is a gimmic.....plus, in this build I'll have plenty of air flow.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 17, 2010 6:21:17 PM

miahallen said:
I didn't cherry pick that review....it was simply the last tone they did review.....just an example. I agree they're not 100%, but overall they are usually very good.
Nice find on that460 :) 

No, not interested in AMD CPUs ATM ;) 

I'd like to stick to ATI for the power/watt factor. I have a 480 in my main rig where power consumption isn't a concern.

The H70 would have only a single 120x38mm fan on it for my build, and I measure, it will fit. I'd have to mod for the H50 or the H70....so, as long as I'm modding, I may as well go with the best one :)  Cost shouldn't be a factor as I'm hoping Corsair will sponsor it like they already did with the GTX3s ;) 

I've been running a 300GB Velociraptor with minimal airflow for the last year in my main rig without the icepack....the thing is a gimmic.....plus, in this build I'll have plenty of air flow.

Then consider the MSI 5870 Lightning/Twin Frozr or ASUS 5870v2, all three are shorter than reference and the Gigabyte I believe, and should clock higher than the Gigabyte as they have voltage control.

Doesnt the IcePak work as a dampener from the vibration of 10k drive also? Though if you have hands on experience with running the raptor naked, go ahead. Though Personally I would still recommend the Samsungs, as using a fast drive for storage isn't that ideal to me.
August 17, 2010 10:30:41 PM

Nothing wrong with the others you mention, but I already have the Gigabyte video card, which makes it the most logical choice for me.

I think I'll go with the Momentus XT....performance is a bit better, plus it's thinner. Performance is a concern as all of my games will be stored on the drive.
August 28, 2010 12:27:22 AM

Getting ready for the next upgrade. Playing around with some modling to verify my measurements. Looks like everything is going to fit perfect :) 

My mini-ITX v2.0 parts list:
case - Silverstone SUGO SG05 (interior will be painted)
PSU - Silverstone 450W SFX (cables will be recut for fit and sleeved)
mobo - Gigabyte H55N-USB3
CPU - Intel i5 750 (aiming for 4.2GHz or more)
CPU cooling - Corsair H70 (with one 120x38mm 118CFM San-Ace)
memory - 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3
graphics card - Gigabyte 5870 SOC (undervolted to 1.1V)
OS storage - 80GB Intel X25M SSD
games/media storage - 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive

Just waiting for the last few parts to arrive :) 

September 4, 2010 7:15:30 AM

Quote:
Getting ready for the next upgrade. Playing around with some modling to verify my measurements. Looks like everything is going to fit perfect :) 

My mini-ITX v2.0 parts list:
case - Silverstone SUGO SG05 (interior will be painted)
PSU - Silverstone 450W SFX (cables will be recut for fit and sleeved)
mobo - Gigabyte H55N-USB3
CPU - Intel i5 750 (aiming for 4.2GHz or more)
CPU cooling - Corsair H70 (with one 120x38mm 118CFM San-Ace)
memory - 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3
graphics card - Gigabyte 5870 SOC (undervolted to 1.1V)
OS storage - 80GB Intel X25M SSD
games/media storage - 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive

OK, Almost all the parts have arrived, and I've done the cutting mods on the case today for a test fitting.......EVERYTHING FIT :D 

teaser

I ordered the wrong molex connectors and I'm waiting on the correct ones to arrive....then I'll strip down again and paint, and sleeve, and post my article....so it'll still be a couple more weeks. H70 testing under-way :) 
September 4, 2010 9:49:50 AM

its beautiful :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2010 1:17:55 PM

Now...I am starting to partly regret having my big rig...I should've get me a smaller one..:D 
!