Please rate/advise on my build!

azurelion

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
That motherboard is not CrossFire capable. Getting a GTX 460 would rule out SLI unless you switch to a motherboard with an nVidia northbridge, though in order to SLI/CrossFire, you'd need to change mobos anyway.

The X3 445 is only $1 more than the X3 440 right now, but it's a good idea.

What resolution do you intend to game at? What games? The 5770 should be fine at 1680x1050, but it will struggle with some games at 1920x1080 and up.

EDIT: I don't normally recommend ASRock, but this ASRock 880G Extreme mobo for $110 does CrossFire, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 Gb/s.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Agreed with single-GPU solution for most gamers, more just throwing it out there, as I think that's the cheapest I've ever seen a USB 3.0/SATA 6.0/CrossFire mobo.

It's a lot easier to not deal with multiple graphics cards, just get the biggest that you can afford, and when you feel the need to upgrade, sell the old one (if you can) and buy the next large graphics card you can afford.

azurelion

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
okay so I can squeeze the GTX 460 in there, is everything compatible with each other? Would the GTX 460 actually run in that motherboard or would I have to swap it out?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The GTX 460 will run just fine. As long as you're not trying to put a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card in a PCI x1 slot, any graphics card will work with any chip/mobo combination. It's just when you start adding multiple GPUs into the equation that things can get weird.

EDIT: Seriously, I need to write less wordy replies. :p

azurelion

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
This is awesome, I get a gtx 460 in about $600 :D, thank you guys very much.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. The samsung hard drive went up in price to about $75 but the WD caviar blue with 1TB storage is still $60. Does the samsung really give that much better performance in order to justify the $15 hike?

2. If I had about $30-40 extra, should I upgrade to the AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX or should I upgrade my another part of the computer, like my motherboard?

3. What version of the GTX 360 should I get? I been looking at the gigabyte one, please tell me there is another one that you would recommend over it? The gigabyte right now is $225.

4. What difference does it make if the power supply is modular or non-modular? It seems as if my power supply is non-modular

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
1) The Caviar Blue isn't a direct comparison to the Spinpoint F3, the comparable WD drive is the Caviar Black, which is a little higher performance. That being said, you're unlikely to notice the difference.

2) Up to you. You're not likely to see much of a gaming improvement, I'd be inclined to just save it. If you had a little more available ($60-70) , it'd be more worthwhile to upgrade to a better graphics card, like the ATI 5850.

3) Doesn't really matter, they're all pretty much the same except for price & warranty.

4) Non-modular means that all of the cables are pre-attached and not removable. Modular is the opposite, most or all of the cables can be attached in any fashion you want. This was more of a big deal when most cases mounted the PSU in the top. Now that most cases mount PSUs in the bottom, the excess cables can just sit on the bottom. It's still very handy in small form factor cases where space is at a premium.