Sign in with
Your question

need help w/ First Time Build

Last response: in Systems
August 14, 2010 7:41:40 AM

Thinking about building my First PC. Budget isn't too much of a problem, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.
I did some research and think I've come up with a good build plan (listed below), but as I'm not too familiar with it all, any advice will be a great help.

Here are some uses that I would need it for:

-Dual-booting; Windows 7 <-- mainly for gaming, Linux (Ubuntu or Fedora, will decide later) Will mostly be using linux
-Gaming
-Virtualization; mostly on linux to run some windows programs
-Media; hd movies, movie encoding
-And of course all the other general purposes; web-browsing, image editing, word-processing; and sometimes many of them at once

Build Plan:

COOLER MASTER HAF 932
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Would this be better than the stock one with cpu? and should I take a look at another alternative?
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ... x2
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active ...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -For Storage
OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) For OS and Program Files. Would two be a good idea, one for each OS (windows,linux)?
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM

Any suggestions, ideas, additions, better alternatives? Could really use some feedback, don't want to buy without making sure system will run smoothly and I make the most bang for the buck. Thanks.

Ohh, and was looking at water cooling, but wasn't sure if it was something I might want. Suggestions?

More about : time build

a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 8:04:53 AM

Case : COOLER MASTER HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case - 40 bucks cheaper (it's mid-size, not full tower).

Mobo : ASUS P6X58D Premium - SATA 6 GB/s, USB 3.0, Supports DDR3 1600 w/o OC. (Your selected RAM would have been downgraded to 1333).

HSF : You don't really need it if you don't plan to OC in the future.

HDD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - Faster & quiter.

SSD : Dump the SSD's. The price / performance ratio just does'nt add up. Get a better GPU for Gaming with the savings.

Suggestion : GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 8:15:41 AM

If you really want to OC that chip to 3.5+, rather than mixing H2O, liquid Nitrogen / CO2 / Helium / Thingamajig with electronics, you might wanna take a look at the Noctua NH-D14. Gets pretty glowing reviews generally.
Related resources
August 14, 2010 8:48:48 AM

thanks for suggestions, looking over them now. I'm glad that I didn't go crazy and start buying right away and decided to ask for some opinions.
August 14, 2010 10:07:10 AM

You ram would work the same on both motherboards, however, you have chosen a 2x2 GB kit, change that to a 3x2 GB kit to take advantage of the triple channel memory controller of the i7 900 series CPUs.

As for a heatsink, unless you are overclocking or want to get a less noisy one, you do not need an aftermarket heatsink.
For the budget you have listed I would go with a Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler as it is among the best performers at that pricepoint, for extreme overclocking (on air) look to the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler or the slightly better but more expensive Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 12:58:15 PM

lothdk said:
You ram would work the same on both motherboards, however, you have chosen a 2x2 GB kit, change that to a 3x2 GB kit to take advantage of the triple channel memory controller of the i7 900 series CPUs.
1. Yes, go with a 3 X 2 GB DDR3 1600 CL9 kit if you can afford it, though most games of today don't really use any more than 4 GB. CORSAIR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

2. NO, that RAM would not work the same on both boards technically. In the P6T, that RAM without OC'ng will be downgraded to 1333. Yes, performance might not fall drastically, but it is a technical reality.

However, if you wanna spend a bit less on the mobo, you might wanna go with GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R. True 16/16 SLI, USB 3.0, SATA 3 GB/s. No real negatives for you, but much better bang for your buck.
August 14, 2010 8:42:20 PM

thanks for the feedback guys.

Think I'll be taking calguyhunk's first suggestion w/ ASUS P6X58D Premium. The bad reviews on the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R kind of put me off.
Seems I hadn't put enough research into my RAM choice, so will be going through it again.

I may be looking into overclocking later on, as I'd like to tweak my computer to be the best it can be, so may consider getting Noctua NH-D14.

Will also be taking SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB.

Not to sure of case yet, still looking at other ones and have yet to come to a final decision.

As far as GPU, I may consider getting GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) and perhaps two w/ SLI configuration, will have to think about it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and any other tips and suggestions are welcome.
!