Please insert bootable device and press any key

melindaframe11

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I have tried everything I know how to do. I do not have a windows 7 disc for this laptop. It is an hp and it was a gift. I have nothing but a Microsoft office 2010 disc that came with it. What can I do?

Purchase an OS for it or use a free linux distro. Laptops usually come with a recovey partition instead of disks. If this partition was removed, then there is no way to restore it other than purchasing a new OS or use a free OS like ubuntu.

If you contact HP, they may send you a recovery CD for a minimal price.

When the computer starts up during the boot screen (before windows) you should see an option like F2-Recovery. This boots the computer from the recovey partition. If pressing that key does nothing or the option to boot from the recovery partition is missing, then the recovery partition is most likely gone.

HP also has a program on their computers that allows you to build a recovery CD/DVD. If the previous owner created these disks, then you need to get them from him, otherwise you are out of luck.

Again, HP might be able to send you recovery media for a small fee.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Personally i wouldn't waste money on buying a new OS. Likely you already have a valid key. 2 options to considers. 1) Find a friend or family member that has a Windows 7 disk and borrow it. 2) Use another computer at home to burn yourself a windows 7 disk.

Last, Since it was a gift I'm assuming you got it brand new? If it's new then it's likely still under warranty. If so.. Call HP and they should be able to assist you with repairing it free of charge. Good luck :).

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

True. I just re read the whole bit about him having to obtain a OS. I'd now assume the same as you that it's used. But even still... It would normally still have a valid key, unless like all of my relatives seem to be able to do have completely destroyed the sticker to the point of it being non readable ;).

Next question @OP. If you had to buy a new OS. Where did you buy it? Did it not come with disks?