Sign in with
Your question

Getting a mic to work with an ATI HD gfx card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2010 8:52:17 AM

Hi All,

This is yet another thread on the topic of ATI HD cards disabling on board sound. I just installed a Sapphire Radeon ATI HD5670 1gb gddr5 card and, shock horror, all the speaker and mic jacks on the mobo have been disabled. After much faffing about I got the sound output to work via the tv speakers (by simply connecting the tv by an hdmi cable), but the input is not registering at all.

The ATI/AMD site is useless as it doesn't even list the 5670 card as one of its products.

The Sound and Audio Controllers bit of the Control Panel is only listing the ATI HD device for playback and something like (guessing) a 718 wma (?WDA/VBA?) capture device for input.

The bios only lists two options for the onboard sound; "Auto" and "Disabled". There is no "Enabled".

If I disable the ATI HD device for sound output the control panel shows no device installed, even with Bios set to Auto it doesn't register the on board sound at all.

The Mobo has an SPDIF socket, but the mic is just your bog standard jack and I'm not even sure if that would make a difference as the SPDIF is off the Mobo.

I am running windows XP (sp3) on a dual core machine and the sound and mic were tickety boo under the antique radeon X1600 i used to have. Loving the new gfx but hating the complete borking of speakers and mic.

Has anyone experienced similar with the HD5670 card and found a solution that gets the mic to work? Personally, I would prefer to not be forced to use the ATI HD sound bit at all, and just use the onboard sound so that my lovely surround speakers still work and the mic ofc.

Any guidance on how to disable the ATI HD sound bit and still be able to use the onboard sound would be very much appreciated.

Andy

More about : mic work ati gfx card

July 9, 2010 8:29:31 PM

right click your speaker in the right bottom corner of your taskbar, left click adjust audio properties go in audio and set to onboard and same for the microphone. Just dont use the radeon drivers ... use the onboard sound and microphone.
July 9, 2010 8:30:09 PM

And why a 5670 with xp ?
Related resources
July 10, 2010 11:16:45 AM

Thanks for trying to help but you missed this bit:

Quote:
The Sound and Audio Controllers bit of the Control Panel is only listing the ATI HD device for playback and something like (guessing) a 718 wma (?WDA/VBA?) capture device for input.

In other words, i tried to do what you suggest but there is no option for selecting on board sound. Was the first thing i tried in fact.

As for why a 5670 with XP, um, why not? I don't know nearly enough about hardware and architecture to tell what works well with what OS and what doesn't. I do know that it is a bazillion miles better than the antique card I used to have and according to the box is compatible with XP.

Anyhoo, resolved it by getting a cheap as chips sound card and installing that.
July 10, 2010 3:28:49 PM

sweet !

My point on xp was that you have a direct x 11 card. To use this direct x, you need windows 7 or some cracked xp updates which I do not recommand.
!